All Topics / General Property / Horror Story of the month

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of JessicaJessica
    @jessica

Well this one isn’t so much a bad tenant rather bad renovation story. Anyone who read my last post read I was doing up a 3 bedroomer and really getting into it. Tonight I went over to scrape off some paint on the doorways and noticed a fist hole had been punched through the glass on the front door. My CD player and a whole bunch of expensive power tools had been taken. I’d just put in a brand new microwave which hadn’t even come out of the box – that was still there but it had been moved from teh front of the house to the back door amongst other things waiting to be obviously picked up at some point int the near future.
    Please someone – anyone give me some inspiration – theres got to be some ppl out there who’ve had it worse than me and rose above it all – I need some motivation! THis is my first house and I’ve only had it for 4 months.

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

Hi Jessica

My heart and thoughts go out to you!

I wont bore you with details about some of my experiences, especially as they are not Real estate related.

However I will say we all do have hard luck stories and I am sure many of us can feel and relate to your bad experiences.

All I can say is sometimes it takes a bad experience to turn our life around into a better direction for our higher good. I know it’s a hard pill to swallow but a wise man once told me “The lowest points in our life’s are our greatest gifts”

It may be hard to relate to that comment right now but I’m sure one day with your determination you will be a very successful person in your own right. Sometimes Karma works in mysterious ways.

Please hang in there!

Kindest Regards Bear

Profile photo of BillfromozBillfromoz
    Participant
    @billfromoz

Hi Jessica…

Hope this helps…

“What this Power is, I cannot say. All I know is that it exists… and it becomes available only when you are in that state of mind in which you know exactly what you want…and are fully determined not to quit until you get it “

Alexander Graham Bell ( 1847 – 1922 )

Cheers

Bill

Bill O’Mara
    Real Estate,Mortgages,Share Market Strategies.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of TeacherK6TeacherK6
    @teacherk6

U want a story Jessica!

I recently bought a villa in Bathurst, very nice inside, new paint and carpets, paved rear yard. so i thought it was a matter of just moving a tenant straight in!. nup lol

If i buy a place vacant i always try and “live” in it for a few days to make sure everything is ok… so i did.. i got to the property at 11 pm after driving for over 2 hours only to find that the power was disconnected and there was a huge lock on the power box, so no heater, no lights. i was freezing lol.

Next day i woke up, called power company to get it re connected., then heard a dripping noise from the cupboard where the HWS was kept… the release valve had busted. so again on the fone to get a plunber to fix it. after about 8 ppl i finally got 1 that was free THAT day all these calls were on my mobile as well mind you.

ok power is now on, HWS is fixed and warming up.. time for shower.. walk into bath room, notice some taps r leaking pretty bad.. no matter ill get to those later i thought.. take shower, watch as the grout washes away in front of my eyes.. the person must have used flour and water to get it to pass the final inspection!… i was stepping in a pile of white mush!.. ok so now i got to scrape out all the crap and re grout with the proper stuff.

Time to change washers..pull of tap head, get to plastic hex looking thinggo that connects to the tap shaft.no worries ill just use my trusty multi grips to yank it off as it stuck on there tight.. break the plastic thinggo, and another on washing machine taps…drive to bunnings get new taps..get home, wrong type,, by now bunnings is closed.

start to grout shower reccess..decide to try and repair the rest of the taps.. remove wash tub tap, the tap is deep in the wall cavity, and im all out of washers.. no matter mains water is off rite? and that little drip that drops every 10 seconds into the cavity behind the tiles could not possibly do any damage right?

wrong lol… eventually fell asleep, left taps “as is” wake up to find bedroom carpet saturated, i now learn that the mains tap washer is worn as well.. the hard way…call carpet drying guy, comes out and dries carpet, drive to bunnings, get correct taps, washers and everthing else.

time to inspect external areas..good the security bars were installed as agreed to prior to sale.. hang on! no dyna bolts!!! the security bars were just belted into place..bloody hell! drive to bunnings, buy dyna bolts and masonary drill bit, try with all my strength to remove the bars. they were belted in real hard..managed to get 1 corner sticking out while the opposite corner went inwards.. well i guess 2 bolts were better then none.. so drilled the holes, re aligned (with a huge hammer) the security bars and put just the 2 bolts in…

ok time to grind off the exposed bolt thread… out comes the grinder… start griding till there was just a bit of bolt steel holding it on… go to remove it with my fingers… got a lovely sizzle noise and a burn mark of bolt thread on my 2 fingers… thats gonna hurt im thinking lol..

well anyway… i ended up making about 5 trips to bunnings in 3 days, but finally got the place up to scratch…

I drove home abit peeved off, cut, burnt, light of cash and tired, but i guess it was worth it! tenant hasn’t complained (yet)

all the best!

Jason :)

Profile photo of BlackJackBlackJack
    Participant
    @blackjack

Hey Jess..

So sorry for you. Personally it’s not the stuff they took, rather that some #@%hole had the gall to go into YOUR house obviously knowing that no-one was there.

I’ve always lived in my place regardless of the work I’m doing. It can be cold/wet/inconvenient etc, but so far enough of a deterent for any would be thief (touch wood).

Further to my property investment, two months after moving in my son and I invested in a Rottweiler. She is the most docile-natured, cuddly girl but she sounds deadly.

If at all possible I would suggest you put up with mess and move in. Any spare space could be used to house a very mean and hairy friend (man or beast…. or both!).

Hang in there

Profile photo of troycorptroycorp
    @troycorp

Hi Jess,

My thoughts go out to you.
    I too have been through my fair share of relationship, financial and family problems in recent times. I would say that the last 6 months on most accounts has been the toughest of my life.
    The 2 post important things that have kept me going are 1.Friends and 2. Communication. No matter how you feel, don’t be affraid to talk to someone and share what you are going through with you family and friends. You might feel as I did that you don’t want to burden people with your problems however you will soon discover who your REAL friends are,those that will stick by you and listen to you. By communicating (as you have done using this forum) you will most certainly find that people have already been through or are going through very similar problems as yourself and you can use that knowledge to help yourself. Hang in there, stay focused on what you are wanting achieve and you will be a success….keep your chin up you’ll be fine.
    Kind Regards
    Troy

Profile photo of annaw2annaw2
    Participant
    @annaw2

Jessica,
    ou’ve achieved a lot in a short time doing up your house. I’m really sorry there are people like that who just destroy someone’s dreams. I’m sure everyone feels for you, and we know you’ve got the strength and motivation to keep going. We are usually a bit nervous about locking up and going home at the end of the day. Last house we took all the power tools home in the ute, left as little as possible, the old radio, elect. jug, and of course building stuff, tiles, paint, etc. Keep going – you’ll do well.

Anna

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi Jessica,
    people can be real …xs*&^ holes. I agree with some of the others here, if you can stay o/night in the place, it helps – otherwise invest in a van, and load up stuff into it to go home each night. I have done both in the past.

One place – in Brisbane mind you you think it would be warm!! – I stayed in for two weeks – thousands of dollars of powertools and stuff in the house – it was so cold I ended up sleeping with coke bottles full of hot water!!! had no running water or electricity for two weeks, really like camping.

I find that sleeping at the house as it gets closer to completion – new kitchen carpet etc is the best deterrent to opportunistic x#$%^& people who would steal from you all of your hard work and effort.

Thoughts with you …. stay positive and get past this…
    Cheers
    Lisa R

Profile photo of JessicaJessica
    @jessica

Hey everyone – thanks for the kind words – I’ve decided to move in this weekend. Got the carpet ppl coming in tomorrow and the beds ready to move in on Saturday. Hot water system is about to be installed and the shower will be finished on Saturday as well. I haven’;t invested in a Rottweiller but I’ve taken the 2nd best option – my brother.
    If they come back I’ll be waitin’ [}:)]

Profile photo of enduserenduser
    @enduser

Freind of mine used to keep an old clapped out car worth about $200, still with plates, in the driveway and always left a low powered light on some where in the house. Never got robbed when he wasn’t there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.