All Topics / General Property / A question of tax?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of KellyvilleKellyville
    @kellyville

We have read Steve’s book (0-130 properties)from cover to cover and have a couple of questions we would like to understand.

We want to look at purchasing some positive cashflow properties, question:
    If I am the primary earner, anything I earn over $60K I will pay 47% tax on.
    What options do I have tax wise? Can my wife (who currently has no job) declare this new income as hers thus paying less tax?

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Kellyville, if you talk to your accountant re structuring, you could probably do something like set up a trust to buy the properties, and have the income directed to your wife as a beneficiary.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of KellyvilleKellyville
    @kellyville

Thank you for your reply – the secret is to get a good accountant to learn the do’s and don’ts before buying our first investment.

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Absolutely. Or to start, you could read Trust Magic by Dale Gatherum-Goss, or some of the N.E. Renton books on Family Trusts, Wills & Estate Planning etc. etc.

Or you could go to see Dale Gatherum-Goss. His website has been posted a few times – I think it’s http://www.gatherumgoss.com

Cheers
    Mel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.