All Topics / Hotch Potch / Tried and proven Bell Ringer say’s the game’s over

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Profile photo of BillfromozBillfromoz
    Participant
    @billfromoz

Fellow Investors…

How do you know when it’s time to SELL 3 months prior to the crowd ?

I did this very simple exercise in 1993/94/95/96 and it never failed me.. Forget the hype, forget
    well meaning advice. You will know yourself when, if you do the following:

Buy the papers in the areas you are considering a purchase. Count up the Rental numbers/colums. Do this each and every week, Be a pest with the agents in the area, call them weekly, or have them email you all VACANCIES. Record your findings.
    Also endeavour to get papers/records going back a few months… more data…more accurate

Over a period of time as you notice the numbers increasing and maybe appearing to peak…time to leave the Party.Get ready for this info to be your “Bell Ringing” and don’t buy, but sell if you wish… It is simple and accurate as an increase in rental demand is a precurser to Lower R/E prices. I have used this simple concept since’93,
    please take it on board…it works.

Just a little help in this ” Blood Bath” in the making. Imagine if those inner city “Off the Plan”
    inexperienced/greedy had conducted this simple exercise….they would be waiting in the wings instesd of having several Deposit Bonds that have to be met in a falling market.

Try it and you’ll see what I mean…I’d be interested in your 5 minute weekly research…so please keep me posted…I will transfer to a spread sheet and post each week. Help a fellow investor to help you and vice verca.

Cheers

Bill
    ps. I loathe the “due dilligance” phrase… from here on in…it’s doing your sums, your homework, your research. An excellent tool for those just beginning…it will keep you out of the market.

Bill O’Mara
    Real Estate,Mortgages,Share Market Strategies.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Hi Bill

I thought that was very interesting and will endeavour to do this research.

Only one thing

quote:

ps. I loathe the “due dilligance” phrase… from here on in…it’s doing your sums, your homework, your research. An excellent tool for those just beginning…it will keep you out of the market.

You put up a helpful suggetion and then end it with this “stuff”. What are you really about?

Cheers
    Leigh K[:D]

Carve your own path and lead the way …

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

Hi Bill: I must confess that you’ve lost me in places:

‘Over a period of time as you notice the numbers increasing and maybe appearing to peak…time to leave the Party.’

So more ‘to let’ ads mean more vacancies.

Which means that there’s fewer tenants, more first homebuyers, population decline or maybe a glut of new apartments. Or it could be seasonal.

‘It is simple and accurate as an increase in rental Deamand is a precurser to Lower R/E prices.’

If there are long rental lists (ie the ‘numbers increasing’) doesn’t this mean vacancies are higher? Thus rental demand is actually decreasing (not increasing).

‘I have used this simple concept since’93
    and take it on board…it works.’

So is what you’re trying to say is that if the vacancy rate is increasing (as determined by lengthening rental lists) it’s time to sell (or not buy)?

Cheers,

Peter

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

Hi,

What Bill is proposing here is basically the technical analysis(or charting) of rental data.

I don’t know why more people don’t do this….apart from the fact that it is cumbersome and difficult to do.

I think the same should be done with price data, both house prices and rental prices, (a little easier to do) and one would see the corelation of rental vacancies/rental rates/house prices.

It’s all a cycle folks as quite a few on the forum have pointed out.

The wheel turns….

http://www.tradingforaliving.info

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

Isnt charting auction clearance rates easier?

http://www.posigear.8k.com

Profile photo of BillfromozBillfromoz
    Participant
    @billfromoz

Hi Leigh & Peter…

Apologies if not clear.

Simply this…

As those perhaps trying to sell, and can’t get the price the want…decide to rent out the property instead. As more and more do the same they add to the growing Rentals… they don’t like what the agent is telling them, fewer buyer inspections etc. so they list their property for rent and withdraw it from sale. Worse, some try and do both at the same time.

I researched a couple of areas using this method..namely Campbell, in the ACT and Cowra.
    To do it effectivley, get the past 3 months of Saturdays papers and talk with Agents. You may find as I did, that those two areas now have “For Sale” signs removed and “For Lease” instead.
    They are vendors that can’t get the price they were dreaming of… and try to rent the property instead.

Just prior to a peak in Canberra, August 1994
    the number of Rental columns grew from 18 to 44.
    From then on it was downhill…prices fell 25% over a relatively short period. Some units, and the bottom end of the market fell nearly 50% and towns within an hour or two suffered the same fate.

It may not be happening in your chosen area as yet, but I wouldn’t mind betting that if you do your sums (means the same thing Leigh) you may very well sit on the sidelines and wait, as a buyer…or sell before the crowd does if you are highly geared, unsure plans,or getting that “gut feeling”…then yes, it’s time to leave the party.

Nobody is going to “ring a bell” for you, so you must find your own early warning device…. mine has been ringing loud and clear for the past 3 to 4 months.

Cheers…

Bill

Bill O’Mara
    [email protected]

@waynel

quote:

Isnt charting auction clearance rates easier?

Yes, why not put that into the equation as well! The more data the better.

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi all

if you sold as you are suggesting was a good stategy in 1993, it was the bottom of the market in most major cities in Oz. the peak was in 1989, and if you sold then you would have missed the in excess of 100% capital appreciation since then.
    hey i’m a seller in the market at these prices (because i’ve got 30 properties) but for most people a buy and hold stategy is always the best.
    history shows that property has never failed to recover from downturns and exceed previous highs. in the future who knows, if i was an investor with only a handful i’d hold on. people who make big money in real estate hold.
    westan

Profile photo of DevoDevo
    @devo

Bill

You’ve definitely touched on something here. Any basic movement in the market that has been stimluated by market changed (due to consumer confidence or lack of, fiscal or monetary policy etc) is ALWAYS proceeded by a lag before the desired affect takes place. Your theory and subsequent practise of, I don’t doubt at all. Data collection is the only difficulty. Some of the key indicators you have proposed are a definite start.

Great observation, literally!!

Cheers
    Steve

Participant
    @billfromoz

G’day Westan…

My reference to selling in early ’94 to August’94 was perfect timing for the Canberra Market. Many times since 1970 the Real Estate Mkt. in Canberra was running it’s own race.

Be assured that the market in ’94 crashed in September as the number of rental columns in Canberra times ran up from 18 to 44. It was no soft landing. $280k in ’94 to couldn’t be sold at $210 in ’96 yet today $450…. maybe $360 in 2004?

I am merely suggesting that if you are overgeared today then sell now. If you wish to invest, common sense says to wait….when ???…no crystal ball just not today.

If your strategy is to Buy and hold and you can handle 8%+ then I agree that you retain. But if you wish to add to your portfolio I think that sitting on the sidelines will prove to be profitable…as you make your profit when/where you Buy.

See you, in maybe late 2005? What do you think?

Cheers

Bill

Bill O’Mara
    [email protected]

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

“Just prior to a peak in Canberra, August 1994
    the number of Rental columns grew from 18 to 44.
    From then on it was downhill…prices fell 25% over a relatively short period. Some units, and the bottom end of the market fell nearly 50% and towns within an hour or two suffered the same fate.”

See westan, large percentage falls DO happen…..

Profile photo of dreamergirldreamergirl
    @dreamergirl

Bill

This is all very interesting and of the moment – being in Canberra myself I just noticed on the weekend that there were a fair few withdrawn properties in the paper and also that quite a few have been advertised for a few weeks in a row. Even two months ago, there were barely any lasting longer than 2 weeks.

I’ll now add your criteria to my market watch. Thanks for the insight.

Sam (hoping to snap up a +ve cf IP in the next 12 months)

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi guys

billfromoz
    no arguement from me. except if people are getting out with the view to re-enter at a future time, then i’d say they may be disapponted. i don’t know the canberra market so i accept what is being said. but the Melbourne market only dropped by 5% in the early 90’s (not 30% crashy), clearly not enough to get out and back in even if you are smart enough to pick top and bottom. this is due to the large costs involved with property (stamp duty) unlike shares (no stamp duty), people also need to consider CGT when doing their own figures.
    if people are overexposed then reduce is a top strategy, as we all know it is unlikely that things will move too much higher in the near term.
    as far as 2005 goes? i’ve got no idea what so ever about when the market will be worth buying again. it may take years, and then it may require for rents to increase.
    as far as your thoughts about rising vacancy rates i’m sure you are on to something if you real want to get out this may be a good indicator.
    finally, crashy, without wanting to repeat myself, i’ll say it for others that are new to our little debate.
    Some have said “the market will drop by 20-30% as it did in melbourne in the early 90’s”. this didn’t happen, maybe it happened in canberra i don’t have that data available ( i might look it up).
    finally just because properties aren’t selling within 2 weeks doesn’t mean that the market is reversing. personally i think it is a sign the market is out of control when properties are selling within hours of listing. perhaps it means people are starting to show some common sense again. Common sense is the one ingredient i see people are lacking. i know a guy who looks like blowing $240,000 ( a large portion of his net worth) on a spec stock thats gone bad. a smart guy ( an accountant actually), but no common sense, thank goodness crashy’s investment program would never recommend large amounts of money in high risk spec stocks.
    westan

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

“people who make big money in real estate hold”

i agree with this. Everyone who is talking about selling high (i.e. now) is approaching the RE market like one would the sharemarket – trading.

I see (as more than one real estate educator has said) that property is a long term investment. I think people who aren’t set up to cope with holding for the long term – either by overcommitting, not picking the right deals in the first place, not having a buffer, getting caught by vacancies or rising interest rates – have themselves to blame if they are forced to sell in a diving market and then lose money. They didn’t think long term and go over their ‘what if’ and ‘worst case’ scenarios.
    And i don’t have any problem with the phrase ‘due diligence’. I think it’s just an investing term that’s shorthand for a bunch of individual things it stands for – from sums and the things that bill mentioned like research and number crunching to also getting a council land report, building inspection, pest inspection, and the lawyer stuff.

Anyway. so if you can’t find any +ve CF properties with yields of more than 10.4 percent after costs, don’t buy now. well i wouldn’t. You wouldn’t wanna be buying for capital gain now, either. (well i wouldn’t!) . if this long-predicted correction comes, after that’s when +ve CF properties will be popping back up all over the place. Exactly at the time when everyone has long gone off the idea of property cause they all got burned, the time when everyone thinks CF+ve is a stoopid fairy story, that’s when they’ll be found all over the place and when it will once more come into it’s own.The only thing that stops any rental property being CF+ve is that the purchase price is too high. If prices come down again, then bingo. I’ll be buying. here.

In the meantime i’m still buying, but in a market that i think is about 2 years behind what’s starting to happen in Sydney, and where there are still yields to be had of 20 percent and beyond. that’s enough buffer for me to feel i am prepared as much as anyone can be….touch wood.

cheers-
    Mini

@waynel

Westan, Mini,

Great posts, and agree with the both of you. I sold my PPOR in Melbourne purely to move back to Perth, which I have now done (Yay!).

Renting for a couple of years to wait to see what happens, I think prices will come off a bit. How much ????? who knows.

Meanwhile, I’ve got plenty of time to study property investing before the next cycle eventuates, and if a great deal pops up, heck, I’ll take it! No hurry though and learning all the time thanks to y’all.

Thanks for good common sense posts.

Cheers
    wayne

Participant
    @billfromoz

Hi Mini…

Are you sure that you didn’t misunderstand what I was trying to say…

Extract from my post…

“I am merely suggesting that if you are overgeared today then sell now. If you wish to invest, common sense says to wait….when ???…no crystal ball just not today.

If your strategy is to Buy and hold and you can handle 8%+ then I agree that you retain. But if you wish to add to your portfolio I think that sitting on the sidelines will prove to be profitable…as you make your profit when/where you Buy.

So I don’t think that we disagree at all do we ?

Cheers

Bill

Bill O’Mara
    [email protected]

Profile photo of PaulGohPaulGoh
    @paulgoh

in other words…buy during low price (bad market) and sell high..

am i right?? correct me if i’m wrong

What Robert K. said was that u make profit when u buy..not when u sell..

Profile photo of zizziz
    Participant
    @ziz

Hi Bill

I don’t disagree with the thrust of your argument but I do want to highlight that the markets you refer to are generally very volatile markets.

It has always seemed to me that country areas are much more prone to market turbulance, with a complete lack of demand when the cycle turns against property. From personal experience I don’t find that the median properties in Sydney (the only place I invest) corrects to any major degree. The market tends to simply sit at the same price for a long period. I have allways put this down to property, in the main, being an emotional purchase and because the median houses are generally ppdr’s, people will simply sit and wait it out. In fact the best bargains I have picked up are just after the market starts moving and all these long term sitters suddenly see an oppurtunity to get out at slightly more than they paid (forgetting completely the purchase and sale costs actually make a lose in current dollars as a result). By this time, in real terms, thay are bargains with the real move still to come.[:D]

Westan – absolutely agree – as far as people thinking they are going to trade property they are only fooling thenselves. Generally they entered the market to late and have bad experiences with holding property. Speaking personally I have made money because I have held, in fact been in the IP market sinnce ’85 and have never sold a property. Why would you sell and pay 25% tax on the CG and then still pay all the transaction costs ($25k stamp duty on a $1mill purchae)

Cheers

Profile photo of pinit2000pinit2000
    @pinit2000

ziz!,

Great to see you’re back! I thought you had gone for good. I was actually thinking the other day that it was a long time sinec we haven’t heard from you…

Please stick around and give us some of your opinions….

Cheers,

Pin

@waynel

quote:

still pay all the transaction costs ($25k stamp duty on a $1mill purchae)

Cheers

Where do you live? Where I live it is substantially more than that. I just payed more than that in agents commisions to sell[:O]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Tried and proven Bell Ringer say’s the game’s over’ is closed to new replies.