All Topics / General Property / Found cashflow +ve

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of sophsisophsi
    @sophsi

I’ve found a cashflow +ve property. What sort of due dilligence do I need to do?

Profile photo of powmowpowmow
    @powmow

hey sophie,

a great idea would be to purchase Steves Buyer Beware e-book from this site…

i dont actually have it myself but from what i have heard, it is a great investment for only like $59.95 or something…

hope this helps

[;)] Powmow [;)]

Profile photo of chericheri
    Participant
    @cheri

hi sophsi
    congrats on finding a +cashflow property. due diligence takes the form of among other things, organising a building inspection, getting a pest inspection, talking to local real estate agents (not the one the property is listed with) to see if the property is priced fairly and to find out if you will be able to secure a tenant easily. it is also helpful to talk to locals, eg the post master or the lady at the local shop.( assuming it a smallish town)
    i would also be doing a thorough walk thru the property, room by room taking notes. it is also handy to carry a digital camera, as often you forget what things “really” look like.
    i am sure there are other things to be a undertaken before purchase, but there’s a few to get you started.[:)]
    rie

Profile photo of Prop16Prop16
    @prop16

By the time we finished all the due diligence the property would be gone, snapped away by somebody else……..or???

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

Why not do some quick research on the town and if it’s OK, put in an offer on the property subject to building & pest inspections, etc? If you’re brave, maybe putting in a low offer that you know they won’t accept buy you a little more time to do DD?

Your question raises some interesting ideas on the order that we should do things.

I have done my due diligence in the following order (only move onto next step after previous one is OK):

1. Town (future prospects, vacancies, growth, etc)
    2. Acceptable suburbs (amenity, convenience, affordability, quality etc)
    3. Specific properties earn required yield

The strength of this is that it provides some protection against getting something in a no-hope part of a declining town. As you know the town, you can use this info to help in subsequent purchases, ideally eventually owning clusters of properties in several towns. Once you know the area, the only extra due diligence required is on the property itself.

The main risk with the above order might mean that you are missing the highest returns as your search criteria are narrow.

What if we tried the opposite order:

1. Specific properties that earn required yield (11 sec solution etc)
    2. Is it in an acceptable suburb (amenities, etc)?
    3. Does the town have a good future?

Thus we are starting with the best deals and eliminating those in the no-hope towns.

On reflection, I think this last approach might provide higher yields than the first one. But it is risky as it’s less fussy with towns. If you find a great deal, it’s tempting to rush in and put in an offer, even if 2 & 3 are not ideal. But if you have a good background knowledge about an area then you will avoid the worst mistakes.

any thoughts?

Peter

Profile photo of sophsisophsi
    @sophsi

Thanks for the tips guys. I just went back to Steve’s book and re-read the section on DD, and went to the website to try and get the e-book, but I have a Mac computer, so can’t get it (very annoying).

I actually don’t have the funds to get the property right now, so was hoping to tip someone else off about it for a spotters fee.

If I was going to do that, what information would I need to supply the prospective buyer and how much should I charge?

The house is advertised at about $43k and fits the ’11 second rule’.

Sophie

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

actually sophsi, i was gonna ask that does any body want a spotter. Well i guess since we are talkin about it, would anybody be interested in a spotter if so i think a fair price would be anything under $100,000.00 at $2000.00 fee and anything over $100,000.00 at 2% of the selling price.

This could be negotiated by both our solicitors were they can make the direct change or swap over of cash to information to each other.

Drop me a line if you are interested

Thanks still_in_school

@sophsi

Still in school-
    Don’t quite get what you mean. Are you advertising your services as a spotter, or are you interested in the property, and if so, what do you need to know about it?

Sophie

@still-in-school

hey Sophsi, yeah i was advertisin myself… lol but i dont think i did a good job of it, but

seriously sophsi, i think you should charge people anything under $100,000.00 at $2000.00 fee and anything over $100,000.00 at 2% of the selling price.

I think thats about average across the board but if i was you make a new post and head the topic as something like, “Property found for investor spotter fees priced.” and see if anyone would be interested, i mean its good in here to talk about it, but i think making a seperate topic you will get much better respone and maybe someone would be interested straight away and doing so you will have access to some quick cash quickly

Wish you good luck.

Making Money is Some Ones Losses…

Profile photo of milen007milen007
    @milen007

still_in_school, To charge the sourcing fees, do you go and put some deposits in to hold on to the property?

as i found few and if you could source them out, we can negotiate deals

regards,
    Erwin
    [email protected]

Profile photo of stargazerstargazer
    Participant
    @stargazer

Hi

i would think that there are a number of things a person would want to know if they are going to pay for a service.

the town
    population
    job propspects
    growth if any
    demographics
    population movements
    any developments in the pipeline
    any new stores or businesses coming in
    rentals
    general house prices in the town
    why the area chosen vs another
    rates
    etc

regards
    alf

Profile photo of k_sonterk_sonter
    @k_sonter

Hi Sophie,

My name is Kris from LJ Hooker Commercial- Gold Coast, well done! finding a cashflow positive property in this market is not easy.

If I was you I would go for a due dilegence period of 21 days. That is longer than the standard of 14 days and it should give you enough time to do all your inspections and calculations to see if you would like to proceed with the purchase.[:)]

Profile photo of JoshwalyJoshwaly
    @joshwaly

Hey sophie [:D]

Well i agree with alf…

I operate as a finder/spotter myself however i question still in schools logic as far as his method is concerned.If he/she reads this it would be great if still in school emails me at [email protected] regarding your method perhaps if we compare logic we can create a system of finding positive cashflow allmost a template.

Regards Josh

@still-in-school

Hey guys, thanks for your replies, i will talk more tomorrow on here, just at this moment i only have a breezer to check my email but i will catch tomorrow on this topic and get in touch.

thanks

still_in_school

@sophsi

Thanks everyone for their input. I’ve only been on this site for about a week, and I’ve already learned so much!
    Josh, your proposal sounds good, would be very professional to have a template, and more efficient too. Let’s look in to it, you know my email…
    To everyone else, where should I look for this information? I’ve started with the ABS, and then should I just call RE and police etc in the area, and go up there and speak to the locals? Any other suggestions?

Sophie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.