All Topics / General Property / raising rental after putting new locks ok ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of fulloutfullout
    @fullout

HI,
    I need to ask you experienced landlords,,,

I recently just got the plumber to fixed up some faulty taps, flush etc on my investment property in CHurchill. And I would also like to add new security locks to the external doors, cos the tenant said it would give her more peace of mind.

The current rental is only $120, I am thinking of raising it to $130.(or maybe 125?)
    Is that reasonable?

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

i would raise it up by $7 (this is $1 a day, $365 days a year). Also it will depend on your lease agreement you have with them, if you are allowed to, there are no reason in stoppin you at all, also another thing, adding new locks to your door, if for example they were deadlocks this will decrease you insurance as it is some form of protection and it tax dectubile and depreciable as well.

Profile photo of Fudge111Broz00Fudge111Broz00
    Participant
    @fudge111broz00

I would have thought it was the landlords job to supply a safe environment for their tenants, and that new locks shouldn’t ethically be a reason to raise rent?, what do u guys think?

Fudge111

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

for me personally, if a tenant requests or askes for deadlocks, normally dependin on the tenant or on the lease agreement i will think about it, but normally i like to up the rent a little bit, usually any cost or expense that comes out of my pocket i will increase the rent just a fraction, just to cover cost,

normally i try to work out an item if its priced anywhere between $300 – $400 i will increase the rent by a dollar a day, in the end i didnt pay for it the tenanat covered the cost of the item over a one year period.

Profile photo of powmowpowmow
    @powmow

hey Fudge and Broz,

in the residential tenancy act, the information it gives about locks, windows etc, is that they have to be REASONABLY SECURE. this pretty much means that if the door cannot be opened with reasonable force then it is secure.

its pretty dodgy i reckon but that just the way it is.

[;)] Powmow [;)]

Participant
    @fudge111broz00

Thanks Powmow,

That is quite interesting, so i suppose putting deadlocks in would be a ethically sound reason to up the rent just a little

Regards

Fudge111[;)]

Participant
    @fudge111broz00

Thanks Powmow,

That is quite interesting, so i suppose putting deadlocks in would be a ethically sound reason to up the rent just a little

Regards

Fudge111[;)]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.