All Topics / General Property / Having troubles with 11 second rule

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of Andrew111Andrew111
    Participant
    @andrew111

Hi guys,
    I am thinking of investing in my area of Mildura, which is in the North, West of Vic.

I havent found ONE property that applies to the 11 second rule.

About the max rent here is $200, which equates to a $100,000 house. About the best Ive seen are houses that are around $120,000 – $140,000 which are being rented for $130 – $150 p/w.

Am I getting my calculations right, or am I just driving myself crazy? Say if I bought a house/flat for $100,000, then it would need a weekly rent of $200. This would just be unheard of around here!

Can you still get positive cashflow or cash on cash return if it doesnt fit into the 11’s rule?

thanks,
    Andrew

Profile photo of cherylcheryl
    Participant
    @cheryl

Andrew,

I was about to ask the same question myself, so thanks for getting in first.

I have found a property that I would offer $85,000 for that has a tenant paying $145 pw.

Can someone tell me if this is a good deal or not?
    The house is neat and low maintenace.

Like you Andrew I am not sure when to step outside of the 11 second rule and to what extent.

Profile photo of nugennugen
    @nugen

Don’t just look in Mildura. There are plenty out there. Try other states, or more remote towns.

11 second rule may be hard to find but if you put 20% down as a depostit that may give +cashflow.

Nu Gen

Profile photo of Andrew111Andrew111
    Participant
    @andrew111

Yeah good thinkin Nu Gen.

Cheryl, that sounds like a good deal to me.
    Thats $7540 in rent p/a, and your loan repayments would be around that. If you got a loan on interest only, then thats around $5500 p/a.

Profile photo of everdineeverdine
    @everdine

Just to throw in something we’ve learnt slong the way – some lenders will only lend 65% in rural locations so check this out before making any offers.
    You’ll find something. We looked and looked for months which is frustrating at times when you are new and eager to get going. The challenge is worth it when you find your first property though.
    [:)] Diane

Participant
    @cheryl

Thanks for the words of encouragement everdine. It’s true that it is disheartening when you are ready to get started.

Cheryl

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

quote:

I have found a property that I would offer $85,000 for that has a tenant paying $145 pw.

Like you Andrew I am not sure when to step outside of the 11 second rule and to what extent.

Here to help. Cherly first up i caculated this for you.

$85000 at 6% interest over 30 years would equal a weekly repayment of $127.60

so in hand you would have $17.40 a week more, but do remember you would have to add your mortgage protection and insurance to this so minus approximately $10 for that everyweek,

in actually fact you would be left $7.40 in hand a week.

From my personal experience i would call this a neutral geared property – meaning it just pays it self off.

but lets say if interest rates were to rise to 7 percent which i believe they are forecast to at the end of this year and early next year.

This would be how much in hand for you.

$85000 at 7% interest at 30 years = $141.25 a week loan repayment, so in hand you would recieve only $3.75 but you would definitly have to pay out of pocket expense for mortgage and insurance protection, though these are claimable on tax.

Thats my 2 cents

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Cheryl

Don’t let the comments abount 65% being the maximum loan you can obtain in rural locations deter you from investing in regional australia.

Whilst, I agree that might be the lending criteria
    of a few lenders in the whole depending on the land size most will go upto 80% and often higher.

Just feel free to bounce your ideas off one of myself or one of the other Mortgage Brokers on the site.

Cheers Richard
    [email protected]
    http://www.fhog.com.au

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of steveodsteveod
    @steveod

Hi Andrew,
    There are definitely 11 sec rule properties out there. It just takes alot of work, and as others have said, don’t limit yourself to your local area.

Also, don’t ignore something if it is outside the rule. I just looked at 2 units for $140,000 ($70,000 each) and rented for $110 per week each. I found out tenants in both units had been there for 18 months and wanted to stay on. They also said that the rent hadn’t gone up in the 18 months and they expect it to go up with new owner. I can increase rent to $125 now with rent review every six months. I also got the units for $130,000 ($65000 each). Just outside the rule but only for the first six months by $5 per week. Also the market has risen by over 30% in the last twelve months and still climbing.

Regards,
    Steve

Profile photo of xyzzyxyzzy
    Participant
    @xyzzy

They do exist!

Found one this afternoon in my local rural town. Noticed the local Real estate agents car outside a house and rang him on his mobile and asked if it was listed yet. $ 85k. Rented for $ 130pw with a huge shed out the back on a quarter acre block and rear access.

But you ask how do you make that work? Well I know that the bloke three doors up collects vintage cars and is looking for storage space because I have some empty sheds at my business and for $ 50 a week …… $ 180 income $ 85 purchase ….

They do exist – Just look hard for them!

@still-in-school

another thing too, see if you can get that $85,000.00 negotiated, paying a little less for it can make a big difference

Profile photo of powmowpowmow
    @powmow

gday Cheryl,

although i agree with most of what still-in-school
    is saying, such as negotiating the purchase price, dont count on the interest rates staying at 6 or 7%. while this might happen, its not good to leave anything up to chance.

the average interst rate for the past 30 years is around 10%.

have you read 0-130 yet? there is an extra chapter here on this site that steve has provided for us all about when/if interest rates go up.

cheers

[;)] Powmow [;)]

Profile photo of taylah111taylah111
    @taylah111

Hi everyone, I am having trouble too, I have looked up and down and in the west from cairns to melborne and cannot find an area that has low home prices and reasonable rent. With a market so hot as if you are going to get a place valued 20 – 50 K lower than other homes and still get the same rent. I am getting a bit bitter about this 11 sec rule, I have looked in about 20 rural towns and nothing is any where near the mark. The other thing is please correct me if I am wrong, but does this Pos Cash flow investing only work if you are buying a property for under 80K?????

Participant
    @cheryl

Thanks to allwho replied to me.

I will keep looking for property that is closer to 11 sec rule.

@still-in-school

Cheryl that property you found for $85,000.00 dont just go all off about it talk to the agent and see if you can get the price negotiated or to save up more finance speak to the agent and ask if they can put the property into a 2 month settlement agreement either way you still have a chance to save more money and you dont know you might just be lucky.

cheers

still in school

Profile photo of Kings5Kings5
    @kings5

Well Ive done well with 10 percenters. Id like to help with areas to try $85000 with 145pw
    is ok. up in Qld 72k with 135pw in Rockhampton.

I own 9 properties so im not just theory…
    love to help

Profile photo of SaskatoonSaskatoon
    Participant
    @saskatoon

quote:

quote:

Here to help. Cherly first up i caculated this for you.

$85000 at 6% interest over 30 years would equal a weekly repayment of $127.60

so in hand you would have $17.40 a week more, but do remember you would have to add your mortgage protection and insurance to this so minus approximately $10 for that everyweek,

in actually fact you would be left $7.40 in hand a week.

From my personal experience i would call this a neutral geared property – meaning it just pays it self off.

but lets say if interest rates were to rise to 7 percent which i believe they are forecast to at the end of this year and early next year.

This would be how much in hand for you.

$85000 at 7% interest at 30 years = $141.25 a week loan repayment, so in hand you would recieve only $3.75 but you would definitly have to pay out of pocket expense for mortgage and insurance protection, though these are claimable on tax.

Thats my 2 cents

Hi Still at school.
    Don’t know how you worked out your figures. It seems to me that this property would cost about $30 a week pre-tax at 6% P & I. Do you include stamp duty, repairs & maintenance, rates, and property manager’s commission in your calculations?
    Terry

Terence McMahon
    HomeWin
    Finance

@still-in-school

hi saskatoon,

i just worked the information based on how much the sellin price of the property is.

Other costs i just assume that will be paid in cash, and only the loan for the full amount of the purchase price is required.

thanks

still_in_school

Profile photo of SaskatoonSaskatoon
    Participant
    @saskatoon

quote:

hi saskatoon,

i just worked the information based on how much the sellin price of the property is.

Other costs i just assume that will be paid in cash, and only the loan for the full amount of the purchase price is required.

thanks

still_in_school

Hi still_in_school,
    yes, but where does the cash come from? I don’t consider that if you are tipping in cash then the property is paying for itself. Five properties like this would be costing $150 a week…
    Terry

Terence McMahon
    HomeWin
    Finance

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.