All Topics / General Property / Another 6 +ve cashflow city houses sold tonight

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi all

yes mike at 24 k its making a killing. but not at 95k.

my strategy is buy and hold but sometimes its good to take a profit. i’m reinvesting the profits into new purchases that are averaging 40k and renting for 120pw. so by selling i’m getting rid of one property and buying 4. yes i could refinance but i am happy to be out of this area. the tenants aren’t the best and the land moves a bit much so i could be up for some big bills in a few years.
    regards westan

Profile photo of rogerramjetrogerramjet
    @rogerramjet

If there’s a good reason for selling like you’ve suggested ( I know I wouldn’t want to walk around that area of town at night [B)]), then that’s fair enough.

Just going by numbers though…
    refinance to realise your $70K gain –
    sticking to 80% LVR, giving you $56K to play with, or $14K for each of your four new purchase s which should more than cover 20% deposit + purchase costs if the average is $40K per house – probably have about 10-15K total left over to spend on improvements to increase the rentability too.

Assuming you can get $120p/w for each of them, you’re looking at 15.6% yield ((480*52) / 160000 ) if you sell the property,
    or 17.1% ((605*52) / 184000 ) if you keep and refinance.

Don’t forget about CGT if you sell too. Top tax bracket? 94 – 24 = 70 * 0.485 = 33.95 / 2 (assuming you’ve owned over a year)
    = 16.97 . Have you claimed depreciation? CGT will be even higher!

So really 94K – 17K CGT – 2K selling costs???
    = 75K .. Not really that much more than the equity from a refinance deal, but you lose $125pw income.

Given this, there would have to be a really good reason for me to sell the property. Numbers dont mean crap if you’ve got tenants the like to use the floor boards as firewood though [:P]

Cheers,
    Mike.

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.