All Topics / General Property / Frankston in Melbourne

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of maggiemaggie
    @maggie

Hello everyone,

I have been reading the forum for a while was looking to buy positive cash flow properties then got busy at work and now I am again looking.
    I would like to know if anyone has looked into Frankston suburb in Melbourne. It seems to me it is a little cheaper then the around suburbs.
    Any idea why is that? Should be a reason for that.
    Although the properties don’t meet the 11 second rule they are still attractive.

Any comments are welcome.

Maggie

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Hi Maggie

If I was going to live in it I would buy in Frankston, but as an investment I wouldn’t buy in Frankston. They would all be negative geared properties and this doesn’t meet my plan.

If anyone had “recently” bought CF+ property in Frankston I would love to hear about it so that I can be green with envy[:P]

Cheers
    Leigh K[:D]

Carve your own path and lead the way …

Profile photo of JoshwalyJoshwaly
    @joshwaly

Hi guys and gals

I am located in patterson lakes about 15 km form frankston and decided to go and get some experiance so i went to frankston simple because i knew franksotn would be closer to my range of prices, so i investigated and found 3 great leads

however the main problem with frankston is the people which could make for risky tenants.

ENJO lady there is a a couple of 1 bedroomers in an apartment block with views of the beach and is currently renting up to around 120 – 130 and is for sale for 67,000 my guess is after a physicall inspection one would find some barganing points.

So i guess that yes there is some positive cash flows however perhaps this was beginners lucks and also could be a problem with my numbers however i dont think it is. But after collecting a rental list from frankston i noticed that henry street in carrum downs has 2 units collecting 250 per week and both for sale, i havent really inspected them but 250 a week in carrum downs well i mean could be a looker.

However i also started listing issues in the local newpaper some of those include the demolishing of a shopping mall in frankston and allso a new block of flats beeing tenated by high ‘risk’ teens on cranbourne frankston road and also a new retirement vilage is beeing built in carrum downs and apparently the demand is high

there i have exhausted my leads ha ha oh well thats what the forum is for and enjo lady if you see this could you reply with perhaps some guidance as towards how you go about finidng these properties i just hope i am doing it right

Hope i have been a little assitance however i would go and check it yourself

Regards Josh

Profile photo of maggiemaggie
    @maggie

Thank you guys,

Unfortunately I have not found positive cash flow properties in Frankston but I will be happy even if it only pays for it self after of course when I pay the 20% deposit.
    I am getting close to that figure.
    It is just the fact that I am hearing from a lot of places that the prices in Frankston are yet to go up but I am also aware of the all bad guys that live there.

These apartments sound very attractive with good return.
    I am thinking of buying house with land rather then apartments, I have got more fate in the land (that the value will go up) I might be wrong of course[8D]

Profile photo of KevmanKevman
    @kevman

We’ve invested in Frankston for a while but +ve cashflow propeties have been hard to find. So have renos.

The last property we bought, in Mar 03, was a 4br concrete ex housing commission home for $165k that we have rented out for $450 per week.

I think in Frankston who your managing agent is important as they can handle problems quickly and also ensure that any bad tenants don’t rent your properties. We have a very low vacancy factor as most tenants, once they settle in, seem to stay for years.

The prices in Frankston seem expensive to us when we started buying houses there we were paying $70k and renting them out for $140+ pw. Nowadays the same houses have been bank valued at $140k.

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Hi Josh

I did send you an email, but what you posted there made sense and sounded correct of course there are other factors in a deal as you already know but have confidence in yourself I think you are on the right track.

I personally also like land, but there are nothing wrong with units.

Cheers
    Leigh K[:D]

Carve your own path and lead the way …

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi there,

Be a little wary of Frankston North… Other than that, prices have gone through the roof in surrounding suburbs from Moorabbin through Frankston.

Cheers
    Sooshie [:)]

When a problem is created the solution is created simultaneously

Profile photo of johnno2johnno2
    @johnno2

Hi Maggie
    Just renovating a property in Frankston working O.K. for me but i treat it like a job & buisness anyway buy & hold is my system

[:)] Regards johnno

Profile photo of maggiemaggie
    @maggie

Terrific!!! Thank you all again.

For some reason I am a bit scared to buy in Frankston although I rather do that then go in the regional area. This is just me.
    We have been in the subdivision business for a while and I think would be good for us to buy something for investment but I am much more confidant in what we have been doing.

Kevman, that property that you have bought back in March is it in Frankston?
    Very good deal!!!

Would you agree guys that there is a chance in Frankston if the house need renovation may be so buy something like that renovate it and then put it up for lease?

Any particular reason why we should be aware of Frankston North?

Profile photo of BEETLEBEETLE
    Participant
    @beetle

quote:

Hello everyone,

I have been reading the forum for a while was looking to buy positive cash flow properties then got busy at work and now I am again looking.
    I would like to know if anyone has looked into Frankston suburb in Melbourne. It seems to me it is a little cheaper then the around suburbs.
    Although the properties don’t meet the 11 second rule they are still attractive.

Maggie

Profile photo of BEETLEBEETLE
    Participant
    @beetle

hi maggie,
    I bought a property in Frankston in april 2003 it was the only area in melbourne suburbs that i could find under $150.000 i bought mine for $122.000 old Housing commission area surrounded by seaford / carrum downs / golf courses – close to city and mornington peninsula – i have’nt looked at the market since but i’m sure the prices have gone up.My place is rented at $160 per week.

Hope this helps
    Howard( mitch )
    Hello everyone,

Maggie

[/quote]

Profile photo of johnno2johnno2
    @johnno2

Hi Maggie
    Frankston Nth is the original Housing Commision area in Frankston
    Corner Ballarto Road & Dandenong Road up to the golf course Prices seem to remain steady in a down market but do increase in an up market like [:)]we are in at the moment
    In my opinion there are better buys in other parts of Frankston. Doubt you will get the 11sec job though

Regards Johnno

Profile photo of KevmanKevman
    @kevman

Don’t discount Franston North we buy in that area but then those houses fit the market niche that we are aiming for. You just have to know where to buy in the suburb to avoid the really bad areas.

Maggie – yes that property was a Frankston North property.

Every time there’s negative press about Frankston North I cheer. Less competition for houses [:)]

Profile photo of Andrew_PAndrew_P
    Participant
    @andrew_p

I live in Frankston and times for positive geared properties are gone (there were some properties in North Frankston going for 70 – 90 K three years ego but now close to 200K).
    I believe that Frankston is still good for grawth as you can still get properties on west side of railway line (beach side) for under 250K (just).
    As for the tenents in Frankston you get the good with the bad. No different to anywhere else in Oz.
    Frankston is getting new marina , Shopping Centre will double in size soon.Frankston may be the last bayside location that is still affordable but not for long .

Profile photo of jars11jars11
    @jars11

Ive recently bought 3 properties in Frankston that for me are onyol cash flow psotiive after tax, but long term they should convert. I was after CG’s mainly and I think Franskton is tipped to go.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.