All Topics / Hotch Potch / Rooming Houses?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Guys,

Has anyone had any experience in setting up a rooming house for students? Good or Bad?

Or does anyone know where I could find out information on how to set one up? I have had a browse on the internet but am having trouble finding specifics like, lease agreements, standard provisions, etc.

Any information would help,
    Thanks,
    Sue [:)]

Be careful not step on the flowers when you’re looking at the stars

Profile photo of KewlDudeKewlDude
    @kewldude

Hi Sue,

The local council involved would be able to help with some things ie:- car parking requirements on site, max number of persons allowed to co-inhabit a single dwelling, you may have to apply for a licence, advertise your intent & get comment or agreement from adjoining land owners.

I’ve never looked at doing this sort of thing personally, as I’m thinking it may be a bit of a drain ‘time wise’ to manage. However, if you have the opportunity to perhaps double or even triple the income you could potentially achieve from a single property, it might not be all bad. As for lease agreements, I don’t see why they would necessarily need to differ greatly from a standard one, but you will probably need to have one drawn up that outlines areas people do / don’t have access to, responsibilities for cleaning common areas etc.

Hope this (in part) helps! [:)]

Cheers
    Kym

Profile photo of BillfromozBillfromoz
    Participant
    @billfromoz

G’day Sue…

I have torn out an advert for a guest house about a week ago… I like the potential

I have my hands full and have not even seen it
    but if you like I’ll email you details or call me on 0419 636 449

Billfromoz

Bill O’Mara

Profile photo of bribiebribie
    Participant
    @bribie

Last Saturday on the radio, Michael Matusik (the Matusik Snapshot advertised in API) and also an articlre in the Courier Mail same day spoke about these. To be done well, must pick location close to university and spend money for purpose built complex – each room with on ensuite, room for desk, adequate powerpoints, IT outlets etc. Returns can certainly be good.

In Queensland, some older boarding houses are being sold or closed because they don’t meet new tougher fire regulations.

bribie

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Thanks for the replies, it is much appreciated.
    I will go ot the council and see what it requires.

Keep smiling,

Sue [:)]

Be careful not step on the flowers when you’re looking at the stars

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Rooming Houses?’ is closed to new replies.