All Topics / Hotch Potch / Career advice

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of ClancyClancy
    Participant
    @clancy

In a weekend newspaper saw an advetisement for careers at Aussie home loans as a mortgage advisor. As I am considering a career change would someone be willing to offer advise regarding this potential job. Hours, conditions, what type of personal attributes you should possess before applying.I would appreciate any comments.

Profile photo of BillfromozBillfromoz
    Participant
    @billfromoz

G’day Clancy….

Your greatest asset will be your “People Skills”.

The hours are long. You will cover many miles/km.
    Very,very competitive industry. You may be working on a commission only basis. That, for some is not a negative, but you need to take that on board. Commission only, may mean $400 per deal.

That is not a lot of money considering the skills required, if it’s to be done properley. As a result too many brokers have to get the appt. over and done with asap and move on to the next deal.

Personally, I took 2-3 hours for an appointment, as I ‘differentiated” my services by completing a detailed analysis including a budget for each client. But, I was paid by the client and not by the lender. No I didn’t charge $400

People tend to do biz. with the person, and not necessarily the Company. Yes, you need to have a good supply of leads…people will get 2-3 brokers in to discuss their situation.
    A lot of the companies will do the “easy deals” over phone/net…and you go out to the others. Some will be tough…others a waste of time.

I don’t think that too many individuals write more than 7 deals a month. The top guys/gals will write 20 + deals.

The best advice I can give you is to do it differently than the others. You, can still work within the guidelines of your employer or
    contractor.Find a niche market and don’t just rely on the Company leads.

You need to be a “consultant” and not a just a sales person. You need to feel comfortable asking very personal financial questions. You need to recognise when you are not being told the “full story”.

You will require a a good head for maths. All companies will train you on product knowledge, legal issues and ensure that you are accredited.

If you think this is for you….Go for it.

Wishing you well.

Billfromoz

Profile photo of zanis1zanis1
    @zanis1

Hello ,

For pre-interview research you could look at Aussie Johns book just published to get an understanding of the man and his company.

Best regards

Marc

Profile photo of ClancyClancy
    Participant
    @clancy

Billfromoz- thank for detailed response, greatly appreciated.

Zanis1- I’ll have to get a copy of the book.I actually saw it in Myer yesterday but did not pick it up.

Profile photo of zanis1zanis1
    @zanis1

Hello,

I have read his book. Its a light read – very interesting on how he got where his today though. He is very much into charities.

Best regards

marc
    [email protected]

Profile photo of picja1picja1
    @picja1

There is better oportunities, than Aussie.
    Aussie only pay $300 – $800 per deal, regardless of loan amount, I hear.

With most companies you would recieve an up- front payment and trail commission. This method is much higher income for the same work.

There are a few companies that will train you, some for free.

Profile photo of KristineKristine
    @kristine

wow i just got off the phone from my bank man and he works for Aussie he doesnt seem to happy send me a email and i will give you his email and you can chat to him i am sure he wouldnt mind [email protected]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Career advice’ is closed to new replies.