All Topics / Hotch Potch / Finding an fincancial planner/accountant

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of BellasmumBellasmum
    Participant
    @bellasmum

Any suggestions on how to find a good financial planner/accountant?? What things should I look for?

Profile photo of RSTARRRSTARR
    @rstarr

Hi Bellasmum
    I would suggest if you have friends that are investing, ask them who they use.
    Also if you tell everyone here what state you are in I am sure everyone would be more than happy to share the experts that they use.
    Bye!
    [:)]

Profile photo of enduserenduser
    @enduser

The best thing I ever did was marry one! The second best thing is to educate yourself so you don’t need one as an advisor. If you need tax advice and the like, use one, but do your own research and become the expert in your niche. If you can’t do this it’s better to hand your funds over to someone else.

Investment advisors have agendas of their own and accountants are VERY conservative, (ask youself why they have the jobs they have, and are not investors!)

Profile photo of BellasmumBellasmum
    Participant
    @bellasmum

Thanks enduser – good idea. I am from Lake Macquarie – near Newcastle, NSW.

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi guys

i agree with the advice to educate yourself. i’ve found that locally i couldn’t find accountants who really understood what i am doing. 6 yrs ago one accountant told me not to invest in properties (glad i never listened). This year as a result of this forum i met Dale Gatherum Goss who was excellent (he is in Kilsyth Melb). i know someone who travels to see him from Queensland. try http://www.gatherumgoss.com
    regards westan

Profile photo of InTheoryInTheory
    @intheory

And of course, when said Queenslander got to Kilsyth, Dale (well, “Dad” to me… [:I] ) would have told him that the trip qualifies as a tax deduction!

Seriously though, if you don’t want to make an anuual pilgrimage to see an accountant/financial advisor type person, make sure that whoever you do choose to listen to has experience in dealing with the issues you are confronted with. While most of these professionals are of a conservative nature, occasionally you will find one who flies against the flow and works solely because they enjoy it, not because they need the income.

If you want to make millions through property without paying excessive taxes, use an accountant who has made millions through property without paying excessive taxes. If they’ve never done it before, how can they possible give you the right advice on how you could achieve it?

Cheers,
    J.

Profile photo of DaisiiDaisii
    @daisii

Can someone recommend a good financial planner/accountant based in the western suburbs of Melbourne? Unfortunately our previous accountant has just retired!

Profile photo of JBCJBC
    @jbc

Hi

I’m very new to property investing but want to start in the correct way. Can anyone suggest a good accountant in the Gosford/Central Coast NSW area.[8D]

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Hey Westan…..I think you mean me.

As to Melbourne area Dale G-G really is worth a visit. I do all my dealings with him (Phone, Fax ,Email) and he has been great. Distance nowadays should not be a problem. The link is already here so I won’t repeat……..

As to what to look for.

I like people who ask what I want out of investing instead of telling me what I need.

I like people who are investing themselves. Any advisor I go to now I ask what investments they currently have and to show me. If they won’t show me their investments why should I lay my cupboard bear to them. I know some Financial planners who have nothing but a mortgage they are trying to pay off.
    I want people who are sucessful in there own right before advising others. Pretty much why I joined in here.

I like people who encourage and challenge me and don’t always agree. A financial planner /Accountant needs to give you their opinion from an accounting perspective so you can make your own commercial decsion.

My thoughts……………

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]
    (Andrew)

It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end.

Profile photo of hilaryhilary
    @hilary

Just have to say – totally off the point – that I love the name GATHERUM GOSS[8D]. Where does it originate?[}:)][:0)] Sounds like GOLLUM GOLLUM – but odes it mean gossiper????[:O]
    hyuk hyuk

Profile photo of hilaryhilary
    @hilary

Sorry that should have read ‘does it mean’ – damn dyslexic fnigres….cn u wrk that one out?

Profile photo of annaw2annaw2
    Participant
    @annaw2

Bellasmum & JBC, we went to an investment seminar a couple of years ago in Newcastle put on by Sast Accountants on the central coast. Found them very informative and now with all our IPs, they are doing our tax this year. Ph 43961022, Sean James, and they are easy to find at Toukley.
    Anna

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Finding an fincancial planner/accountant’ is closed to new replies.