All Topics / General Property / Commercial Property and GST

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of SalabergeSalaberge
    @salaberge

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking of starting to look at commercial properties as some of these seem to have higher returns achievable than residential.

Would I need to obtain an ABN and be registered for GST with the ATO if I did this? And would I have to put in a BAS every three months if I invested in commercial property? [xx(]

Kind Regards
    Salaberge

Profile photo of creachcreach
    Participant
    @creach

Hi Salaberge
    To claim the GST portion of the purchase price back YES you will need to register for GST and lodge a BAS. Remember than any rent you colect on a commercial property is subject to GST and will need to be declared on a BAS, best to consult a Accountant on this as it can get commplicated.

Regards
    Creach

Profile photo of SalabergeSalaberge
    @salaberge

Thanx Creach,

I thought commercial rent attracted GST. I was just hoping there was a way around it. Nothing spells fun like putting in a BAS![:P]

I might leave the commercial stuff alone for a while then – no need to over complicate things too early!

Salaberge

Profile photo of Elysium-MElysium-M
    @elysium-m

Hi Salaberge,

As a general rule, I believe that if the turnover of your enterprise is less than $50,000 per year, there is no need to register for GST.

If you’re not registered for GST, you don’t have to remit any GST on your rental income. Therefore, you don’t have to (and in fact CANNOT) charge your tenants GST on the rent they pay you. ie your commercial rental property is essentially GST-free.

The downside, as creach pointed out, is that you can’t claim back any credits on GST which you have to pay (eg on the purchase price, on managing agents’ fees, etc).

Cheers
    M

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.