All Topics / Hotch Potch / Buying a ‘Mortgage Choice’ franchise

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of PotsiePotsie
    @potsie

Hi,

I have noticed that a few posters on this forum are Mortgage Brokers by profession.
    Recently, I have been looking into buying a “Mortgage Choice” franchise to become a broker (I am originally from the IT industry) and have some general questions.

– Well firstly, has anyone heard any good/bad things about Mortgage Choice as a company or franchise?

– To the Mortgage Brokers here, why do you enjoy or hate your work?

– With the property market on the decline, is there still a decent market out. Especially for someone with no experience and is starting out.
    As a comment, the mortgage broker market must have been very difficult during the early 1990s when IR were at 17%.

– Brokers work as I understand mainly evenings and weekends due to your clients having 9-5 Mon-Fri jobs.

– Can someone give me an average monthly income. I am aware that it depends on the loan amount at the end of month. Person I spoke to at Mortgage Choice quoted me (after a year of operation) atleast 1.5M loan amount per month, which can give a monthly income of 6,000 per month.
    I just find this alittle hard to believe. 1.5M per month sounds quite alot for a monthly target.

– And what makes a good mortgage broker, what characteristics and personality do you need.

I may have some more questions in the near future.

Thanks for any responses.

Mark.

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Welcome Potsie,

I’m not a Mortgage Broker, but I think that many of them are feeling lots of stress from being overworked, frustration, anger, and even suffering from sleepless nights (well that’s the ones that care).

The bank’s seem to be impossible to deal with lately, with loans taking MUCH LONGER to be approved & settle.

They are “beating their heads against a brick wall”, and to me no money in the world is worth that.

Of course, things may change when the downturn happens, banks may actually want their service.

Just my opinion,

Good luck with becoming a broker,

Del

Del

Profile photo of xtrla8xtrla8
    @xtrla8

Postie,

I’ve heard Mortgage Choice don’t like to sell franchises to people who have no finanace background – why? They say that they are truly independent because they pay a set figure yet 65% of their business goes to the ANZ -why?

If you want to know more please feel free to email me.

Steve

[email protected]

I’ve got good news and bad news. 1st the good news “Your Success is in your hands!” Now the bad news “Your Sucess is in your hands!”

Profile photo of PotsiePotsie
    @potsie

quote:

I’ve heard Mortgage Choice don’t like to sell franchises to people who have no finanace background – why?

Steve,

Mortgage Choice advertise “No financial experience necessary”. They provide

– Two week franchise operating training is Sydney
    – Examinations that provide full certification
    – and Lender Accreditation

as well as ongoing training.

Mark

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I would do a lot mroe research before you consider buying a franchise. What does it cost? I have heard of ones going for $20,000 and then they only give you 80% of the commission you make.

Why not go work for a mortgage broking company for a while, and then just go out on your own. Save yourself $20,000.

As for income, I have heard of people doing $4 mil a month in loans. Thats a lot of commission!

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of picja1picja1
    @picja1

Firstly, in regards to franchises.

I would advise against buying a franchise, I know a lot of companies that sell franchises and ask anywhere from $20000 – $50000. You have to ask yourself what is this paying for?
    Do you receive advertising and how much?
    How many leads is the company going to give you?

Like Terryw said, your best approach is to apporach a company that will give you an area and traing for free. They will generally take 20% of your commission, but look at it this way, your working and learning towards something better – your own company one day. In this regard, you do need to consider a few things – there is now a lot of brokers who have broke away and started their own companies, nearly flooding the market and competing against each other. Therefore, in some cases, it is more beneifcal to be a broker within a company ie. a company that offers great lead generation. You could earn more by being with a comapny like this, than going it alone, especially by the time you would be ready to go it alone.

Also, you may want to get in as soon as possible, because they are making it harding to be a mortgage broker these days and they are trying to regulate the industry, which will make it very hard for poeple to get into the industry, than previously.

If you like, I know some companies, that you might be interested in and could forward their details to you. These companies are not associated with myself, I just know them.

If not, the next best thing would be to grab a copy of The Mortgage Professional Magazine, a lot of companies advertise in there for brokers with no experience needed. They also have a website that you can but the magazine from, if you cna’t find it anywhere else.

http://www.mortgagemagazine.com.au

In regards, to commission, well $1.5m in loan amounts is not very much, depending on your area, considering house prices are min $350k in most areas, this means you only need about 5 or 6 loans per month. If brokers, were only doing this amount they would not be very happy. Our targets are min 12 per month, with an average of 20 loans per month/ settling. Top performer last month settled 40 loans.

[email protected]

Profile photo of MobileMortgage3MobileMortgage3
    @mobilemortgage3

Hi Mark,
    Have a look at the MIAA web site http://www.miaa.com.au/
    they offer on line education and links to other education courses that you will need to complete to gain accreditation with the MIAA and lenders,
    If you need any more information feel free to contact me.
    Regards Steven.

Mobile Mortgage
    [email protected]
    Phone 0402483216

Profile photo of ClancyClancy
    Participant
    @clancy

Another interesting subject.

A question arises.If there is a downturn in the property market brought about by increased interest rates would a mortgage broker benefit from mortgagees re-financing their debt if they believe they this would be to their advantage.

Profile photo of George1George1
    @george1

I have a finance company and have few years experience in the industry. There are a few things I would consider:

1. Where are your leads coming from – with or without the franchise?

2. You should go and work for someone to see if it is your cup of tea. It has a high drop out rate.

3. On $1.5m you should be earning $9000 – $10500 depending on the “typical” upfronts.

4. Its not as easy as going to someones house and signing them up.

5. You will rip your hair out with the banks especially when they take too long to approve or when the screw up and offshoot settlement and when your clients ring up and say where is my finance – especially when they haven’t given you all their source documents or they skip telling you that they have no deposit and a string of defaults – and then they blame you for not getting them cheap finance.

PLEASE CONSIDER

Profile photo of wolverinewolverine
    @wolverine

Potsie,

Have you looked into a business coach/consultant type of business (Brad Sugar’s Active International or Icon are two that come to mind).

I don’t know much about these but the start ups are similar to mortgage choice, however you are dealing with businesses and don’t need to rely on a thrid party (Bank). The skill you need is to be a good communicator and help improve peoples businesses.

Anyone else on the board know much about Business Coaches????

W

Profile photo of PotsiePotsie
    @potsie

Thanks for everyones responses, they have been very helpful.

For myself, I am interested in a career change, away from the IT industry and I saw Mortgage Choice franchises for sale in The Age.

Initially, buying a franchise looked attractive. Firstly, I don’t have any mortgage brokering experience and they will train you and eventually become accredited. And secondly, I was hoping to run my own business but still have a franchise support system around if I need any assistance.

A bit about Mortgage Choice franchise and this is coming from the information pack they sent and the Franchise Manager I spoke too here in Melbourne.

– The franchise costs around $35000. That comes with training and advertising.
    – The franchisees get paid 0.4% of loan value if successful and 0.2% per annum as trailing commission.
    – Mortgage Choice itself gets paid upfront commission between 0.5% – 0.75% of loan value plus 0.3% per annum as trailing commission by the lender
    – But the franchisees receive 3 forms of income
    – Up-front commissions
    – Loan Book Bonus
    – Volume Bonus
    – They have a call centre, so clients are referred to the appropriate franchisee. But the Franchise Manager said that most of the clients will eventually be word of mouth.
    – They have around 22 lending institutions.
    – And before I do sign anything, they recommend that I spend sometime with an existing Mortgage Choice franchisee to see if it is for me.

To picja1 and Mobile Mortgage, thanks for the magazine and website reference, I will take a look at them both.

Also, to Wolverine’s comment, if anyone else can give more information about business coaching/consulting, that would be of some interest to me too.

Thanks again to all responses.

Mark

Profile photo of George1George1
    @george1

Postie,

With those rates of commission you can go to any mortgage broker and work for them and not have to pay $35,000

Profile photo of picja1picja1
    @picja1

I agree with George.

If you are thinking the $35000 is buying you security and a peace of mind that you are in a supportive enviroment, well you will get this with other companies for nothing. Not only that you will receive higher commisions.

It is in the any company’s interest that you perform well, they recieve commissions from your loans.

If I were you, I would go with another company that costs nothing, you’ll learn as you go, then when you have your experience, maybe start your own. Not only that, you could then spend that $35000 on advertising, imagine your leads.

On the positive side of Mortgage Choice it is one of the largest brokerage companies, but will they generate more leads for you, to make up on the intial outlay and higher commision you would receive elsewhere?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

And it takes ages for the money to come in. Just think, you get someone a pre approval, then they go and look for a property, then 42 days settlement, then the money comes in up to a month later. That $35,000 that you were going to spend on a franchise could help come in handy until you get on your feet. It is a years salary to many people.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Buying a ‘Mortgage Choice’ franchise’ is closed to new replies.