All Topics / General Property / renovation woes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of ActTodayActToday
    Participant
    @acttoday

Currently we are 2/3rd through a renovation and just at the stage of new flooring for the family room. Bought the tiles, stripped the carpet only to find more carpet underneath but even worse it was rubber backed that had been glued to the concrete. Started stripping that to find the concrete underneath had been painted. In case you are not aware, you cannot glue tiles to a painted surface and need to treat the floor with a special paint prior to tiling. Taking into account the hours needed to strip off glued rubber and cost of special paint we decided to return the floor tiles and instal a floating floor. So……always check under your carpet you just never know what might be there[:(!]

Profile photo of TuttsyTuttsy
    @tuttsy

On the bright side there are some great floating floors out there and everything your kids now drop will have a much better chance of survival than on tiles.
    Keep looking for that silver lining and enjoy your finished product.

There is no turning back.
    http://www.foilbiz.com

Profile photo of ActTodayActToday
    Participant
    @acttoday

I agree floating floors look great but I am a little scared at what future tenants may do to them [?] I’ll let you know in a year or so[:D]

Profile photo of bribiebribie
    Participant
    @bribie

The joys of renovating – never know what you may find, always cost more than you may have budgetted and always more time than anticipated – but it is fun.

bribie

Profile photo of Traci-leeTraci-lee
    @traci-lee

It’s seems like a hard slog but it can be worth it!. We bought the classic “worst house in the best street”. A hard go but the time and money paid off. After 5 months we have an extra 50k of equity to now invest elsewere. Had the termite, strashed 3 layeres of carpet, bright yellow paint and multi-coloured tiles to overcome.- HANG IN THERE!! If your calculations are OK, you’ll do it.
    Our’s only cost 3k to accomplish.
    It’ll be OK

T.

Profile photo of ActTodayActToday
    Participant
    @acttoday

Well done Traci-Lee. A few of those a year and you will be laughing

Profile photo of gfunk188gfunk188
    @gfunk188

Ey Tracey Lee,

Did u have any experience in renovations?? If u did, tell me briefly how u got it workin..

thanks,
    Glenn

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.