All Topics / Opinionated! / Investment Books

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of investorgirlinvestorgirl
    Participant
    @investorgirl

Hi, I’m a newbie on this forum, so hello everyone. I’ve been reading all the old posts with interest, I wish I’d known about this site ages ago.

I’ve seen some previous posts regarding all the investment books that are available, but there’s a relatively new one out that no-one’s mentioned yet. I think its’ really good – especially for novices or inexperienced investors. It’s called The Real Estate Rookie by Teresa Wainwright. Has anyone else read it?

I also like books by Jan Somers, but basically if its about investment I’ll read it, I’ve got quite a library of them now! I don’t just read of course, I have 3 IP’s and am currently looking for another.

cheers, investorgirl

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi investorgirl

welcome to the forum, i haven’t heard of that book. i’m a real fan of Dolf De Roos’ “real estate riches.
    A must read for all interested in property.
    regards westan

Profile photo of OzpatinQ8OzpatinQ8
    @ozpatinq8

Im a Newbie on this forum too Investorgirl.

I havent read that book, but ive just finished Margaret Lomas latest” How to Maximise your Property Portfolio” found it very helpful for going through after tax cash flows. The parts in her book about Niche property couldnt have come at a better time as Ive just bought my 3rd IP which is very Niche.

Cheers Ozpat

Profile photo of bribiebribie
    Participant
    @bribie

There are many great books out there – another one is Ordinary Millionaires by Jim Mc Knight. Apart from reading and gaining the knowledge, you have to start taking some action – develop business plans, action plans etc. Westan you mentioned Real Estate Riches – have you managed to find any other books by De Roos?

Bribie

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

You could look at Dolf’s website http://www.dolfderoos.com, or alternatively http://www.powwowevents.com.au also sells his stuff, robert kiyosaki’s, and john burley’s to mention a few.

Personally I found that Dolf’s other books were a bit thin for the dollars, but they had some good examples of what people have done, including himself. He has written two (I think) with Jan Somers.

Cheers
    Mel

Fixed up typos!

Profile photo of investorgirlinvestorgirl
    Participant
    @investorgirl

Cheers guys, I’ll check out your suggestions, thanks again, investorgirl

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi brobie

another dolf book is the one on 100 ways to add value to you property, not a bad book either, it helps stimulate ideas.
    westan

Profile photo of bribiebribie
    Participant
    @bribie

Thanks Westan

I knew that there was another book around but have never seen it in any of the book shops. I went to a noveau riche evening and if you joined then both books were part of what you received.

bribie

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey
    Originally posted by investorgirl:

I’ve seen some previous posts regarding all the investment books that are available, but there’s a relatively new one out that no-one’s mentioned yet. I think its’ really good – especially for novices or inexperienced investors. It’s called The Real Estate Rookie by Teresa Wainwright. Has anyone else read it?

A note to everyone reading this thread – Investorgirl claims to be the author of this book over at the Somersoft forum. To quote:

Well, I hope I will be forgiven for shameless self-promotion, but I can recommend my own book, “The Real Estate Rookie – practical advice for the first-time residential property investor”. Published by Choice Books (author Teresa Wainwright) and available from bookshops or from http://www.choice.com.au

The thread is: http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=98207#post98207

While I applaud the concept of this book, I condemn the ethics of promoting it by pretending to not be the author.

It is particularly bad considering that the book is being published by a highly ethical organisation – the Australian Consumer Association!

I haven’t read this book myself & are making no comment on the content, simply on the approach taken in this thread to promote it.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Participant
    @investorgirl

Hello again Aceyducey, yes maybe this was perhaps a bit naughty. However, it was posted in the hope of getting some feedback on the book. I felt that people might hold back with their comments if they knew I was the author (rather like when someone says to you ‘do I look good in this dress?’ when you know they are not expecting a truthful reply). Hope I am forgiven. investorgirl

Profile photo of RussHRussH
    @russh

Investorgirl.
    I,m disappointed.Here we have a great forum to help people out with good honest advice.
    People taking their time to help others with practical and honest advice.
    And you come on here as a newbie and decieve our good natured forumites like that..Well I will certainly remember the book as THE ONE NOT TO BUY

So many +CF properties in Western Australia.Let me help you. And we can achieve a win win situation.Russ.0438 659 411

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school
    Originally posted by RussH:

Investorgirl.
    I,m disappointed.Here we have a great forum to help people out with good honest advice.
    People taking their time to help others with practical and honest advice.
    And you come on here as a newbie and decieve our good natured forumites like that..Well I will certainly remember the book as THE ONE NOT TO BUY

Agree..

Cheers,
    sis

ps.. thanks for notifying us Aceyducey, much appreciated. [smiling]

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

Guys,

Bear in mind that I’m criticising the tactic, not the person or the book.

I’m happy to accept that this was a simple mistake by an author who wanted feedback on her work.

I understand the desire for this feedback. If you take a look at my site you’ll see my partner & I have had a number of books published ourselve – none property related at this stage :)

This is one of several reasons I felt so strongly that Investorgirl’s approach was wrong in the first place :)

Don’t confuse a single mistake with the value of the content of the work.

There’s a lot of negatives floating about on many authors, such as Robert Kiyosaki and others who have written on investing – as you can find here (http://www.johntreed.com/Reedgururating.html).

This doesn’t mean that the books won’t be valuable to you and provide you with the strategies, ideas or kick you need to get out there & do what it takes to become successful.

The feedback I’ve had on Investorgirl’s book is that it’s excellent.

I’ll certainly be looking for it next time I’m in a bookstore & deciding based on its own merits whether it’s appropriate for my (or a friends’) library.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Profile photo of SiboSibo
    Participant
    @sibo

Two excellent books Ive read: Think and grow rich by Napolean Hill, money Secrets of the Rich by john burley.

Regards,
    Si

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Teresa,

I have your book and I really like it :o) I’m a fairly simple person, and I like things explained carefully and in plain English. Not that your book is aimed toewards simpletons, but I’m sure you know what i mean! I am really into accessibility, and your book provides that. It reminds me a bit of Jan Somers’ books actually, in its simplicity.

Best of luck with all your investing and further writing :)

kay henry

Participant
    @investorgirl

Thanks Aceyducey and Kay, best regards investorgirl

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Investorgirl,

Maybe you should throw in some free books for them to compensated. But for me I will buy it.

Kind regards

Chan Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Profile photo of RussHRussH
    @russh

Well good book or not,there are too many deceiptful people in this world.I stand by my principles and would not buy this book.
    Honesty is always the best policy.
    Russ.

So many +CF properties in Western Australia.Let me help you. And we can achieve a win win situation.Russ.0438 659 411

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Hey everyone makes mistakes. I know I have!

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Russ

I think you are being a bit harsh … you yourself have been deceptive (IMO) by posting look at my photos. That is a very good way of promoting your property for sale to investors without advertising it for sale exactly. I am been harsh back to you but this moral <self edited[inlove]>some times.

She wants to promote her book, wanted feedback and you would do the same I’m sure.

Investorgirl

We are all allowed one gaff here, so maybe this time you might like to do a book review in teh heads up forum for us and don’t forget to mention you are the author[wink]. Good luck with the book.

Cheers
    Leigh K[biggrin]

Cheers
    Leigh K[biggrin]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.