All Topics / Heads Up! / I beg to differ…

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of martinwmartinw
    @martinw

This new topic is for Del……

How irritating are those superior tones in those get-off-your-arse-and-stop-whinging responses to a bit of scepticism? They’re so condescending. And they’re invariably followed up by nob-ended clichés such as “knowledge is money”. Pap!

Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy cynicism. How do you think the likes of Henry Kaye got so rich? Too many head’s up their positive arses perhaps.

And remember for every one of you who says “I got off my arse and made it”; there are 100 who tried and are right in the poo. I see them every day. They could have used a bit of cautionary advice to balance the hype.

What’s the point of this forum? A healthy debate with those that are knowledgeable encouraging and advising those that are perhaps a bit sceptical or cautious? If you do not have time for us perhaps you should start another discussion group called the ‘Let’s pat ourselves on the back about how we all did it and those that find it a little more difficult can piss-off club”.

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

best thing to do in this situation is IGNORE the negative post (absolutely useless and a waste of time) so it falls to the back.

http://www.posigear.8k.com

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

quote:

best thing to do in this situation is IGNORE the negative post (absolutely useless and a waste of time) so it falls to the back.

http://www.posigear.8k.com

Crashy, perhaps you’re one of the people this guy is on about. Let him have his say.

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

Perhaps I wouldn’t have worded it like Martin, but I have empathy with what he is saying.

Ignoring the tough questions seems to be quite common. Particularly by one of the posters in this very thread.

Now, I don’t want anyone thinking that I am getting all negative here, and I do think Martin should have phrased his thoughts a little more diplomatically…..BUT IN ANY INVESTMENT ONE SHOULD BE ACUTELY AWARE OF THE RISKS.(sorry for shouting but I believe it is important)

Once aware of the risks, one can examine the potential reward of the investment. Now we have a “Risk/Reward Ratio”

If the numbers stack up…DO IT. If they don’t stack up, then back off.

There is a another risk attached to investment, that has more to do with money management, and that is “The Risk of Ruin”. Many investors ignore this one in both the property and share markets.

So lets forgive Martin, and lets have some contribution and intellegent discuusion about the potential risks…As well as the potential rewards.

Cheers
    Wayne

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Good morning Martin,

How are you today? Same as usual it seems.

Crashy is right to suggest to IGNORE your post, and I will not comment on your “words”, however I have just one question for you.

You said that this topic is for Del, however all the quotes in it are from other people – not me!![?]

Just have a wonderful life, and I hope that you feel better now after you have let out your frustrations….

This forum is for people interested in positive cashflow, please let’s move forward…

Goodbye,

Del

Profile photo of martinwmartinw
    @martinw

My apologies for the rather crass articulation of my point, but the sentiment remains the same. I came to this site with constructive criticism of Steve’s book, which had some great responses, but equally we had some right know-it-all retorts. And I like to point them out, because no one likes advice born out of hubris.

BTW Del…. This “new” topic is for Del. It was in response to your posting telling me off for starting a new topic thread.

@wilandel

Martin,

I forgive your crassness! (this once)

You made comments a few days ago, basically stating that “it can’t be done”. I merely tried to explain to you that “it can”.

Nobody says just go out and buy anything. Everyone is responsible for their own due diligence of the property, the town etc..etc.. Who ever makes a mistake, it comes back to greed and laziness. They can’t expect to blame others for buying the wrong property, as basically nobody on this forum suggests areas, etc.. and nobody here says it is an easy thing.

You are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine.
    Lets leave it at that, shall we? Personally I have not said anything NASTY to you.

Friends???

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

I have read martin’s critique of Steve’s book and I think what he is saying is not that it can’t be done but the book gives advice that is not practical for many of the intended audience.

I read it and I have to agree. I am sure there are one or two people that go to these seminars and read text like this that do make a killing, but Mr. Average will find it hard using the figures and advice in Steve’s book. And for all those that think they are on top, wait until interest rates go up, vacncy levels go up, with some of the tiny +ve margins Steve talks about, you could be in trouble.

Profile photo of BeanieBeanie
    Participant
    @beanie

In resonse to Badgers comments above do you not realise that if interest rates go up that vancany rates go down and rents go up as people that cant afford the higher interest payments have to sell, but still have to live somewhere which usually means renting. The people that will have a tough time when interest rates go up are those who are heavily negatively geared!!! Those that are positively geared should be in the position to pick up bargain priced properties caused by the reversal of supply and demand.

Profile photo of dagsthedudedagsthedude
    @dagsthedude

iTS LIKE A BOXING RING IN HERE!

DING!

Round Two

DING DING!

dags nobody
    the hippie investor

Profile photo of annaw2annaw2
    Participant
    @annaw2

MartinW, be encouraged. We bought a real -ve a few years ago as we thought that was the way to go. And that is after buying and selling places over the years but not really being into “investment” as we now know it. Money out of our pocket each week was a burden and that included after putting in the usual tax form as well. Claiming the interest at tax time wasn’t much help either.

In the last couple of years we have bought less expensive properties in our local area and interstate and the +ve cash flow is good. We are also thinking of selling the -ve which has come up to a realistic valuation and would cover expenses.

Beanie’s post is the way we think too – in tough times people still need to rent, but also with -ve geared property we may also be able to afford to drop the rent a few dollars so the properties remain tenanted. Just a thought. We bought units as well as houses, hope to buy a few more and look forward to semi-retirement in a few years.

I smiled at your last sentence – what a club!!!
    We all need to help each other through our experiences, good and bad.

Anna

Profile photo of pinit2000pinit2000
    @pinit2000

Hi Everyone,

I have noticed that there isn’t much constructive criticism in this forum …

I read a few days ago about someone saying that negative gearing isn’t ALWAYS bad. Then someone said something to the effect “Well you might have to work for me one day”. Turned out that the first guy is a multi-millionaire in his late 20s!!!! Might be worth listing to him.

Unfortunately he hasn’t posted back. I do hope he is still around as I am sure we could all learn a lot from him.

I am also worried about this over hype business and this “negative” bashing that is going on.

You can be as positive as you want, but so were a lot of people in the share market in 1986. What worries me is that people are saying “it is difficult to find positive geared properties.”

Others are saying “No it is not”

So the first positive geared property they come across (I am worried) people will just buy it because they have found the “Holy Grail”, without doing due diligence.

Let me put this straight too. I have found PLENTY of positively geared properties on the NET. but haven’t bought any. Why? because they are so far from anywhere or so dodgy that I couldn’t sleep at night if I owned one of them. Doesn’t mean there aren’t some good ones too. (I did find some that where half decent too. but what happens if the mine shuts down or the processing plant closes or evryone leaves town?)

What I am saying is: just be careful and do your research first!

Is this being critical or negative?

I think that this is what a lot of people have been trying to say and have been labeled “negative” for, wrongly.

Pin

Profile photo of lifestylelifestyle
    @lifestyle

Yeah, I argree with Martin on the “one liner qoutes”. I’m the last person to be negative, & I’m not being negative when I say this, but some of those qoutes sound like people are kidding themselves. If the people spent as much time being creative with their time as they do coming up with some of those stomach churning comments then they would be alot better off I would imagine. It’s like there is a competition to see who can come up with the best one. Now I know it’s all harmless fun and this will be followed up with the “don’t read them if you don’t like them” attitude, or the innate herd response from this sellect group which comes in the form of defensive attacking suggestions, which is fine. The key here folks is to lighten up and not take yourselves so seriously, and don’t feel too offended by this posting.

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Guys

I had to have a chuckle when I read this post, for two reasons, firstly I know Del and she is so lovely as is her hubby that thinking she is a negative know-it-all was too funny.

Secondly, it read like a school yard squabble … this forum is here to learn about +cashflow property investing. It is here so that those newbies wanting to change their futures have a safe place to find out about investing. So forgive those of us that are up on our high horses, it is only because we are your average mum and dads (in most cases) giving it a go and finding that it really does work. It is called excitement and passion.

We are all entitled to our opinion, but just be mindful that no-one here wants to make anyones stomach churn, so don’t flame each other.

Cheers
    Leigh K[:D]

Carve your own path and lead the way …

@wilandel

Thanks Leigh…[:(] [:D]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.