All Topics / Hotch Potch / Protection from Interest Rates and New Comer Intro

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of MarvinMarvin
    Participant
    @marvin

Hello all,

before I pop my question, I’d just like to introduce myself.

My name is Marvin. I’m a sushi chef in a place call Toowoomba, QLD. I’m 25 and already in a mid-life crisis. I don’t want to work my whole life and have been gathering up books to read on financial independance. I’m not looking for a short cut, just don’t want to be stuck in the rat race. Willing to work hard to learn how to become an invester through other ppl’s experiences first, and eventually my own.

My girlfriend came upon Steve’s Book (Hello Steve) “0 – 130” and bought it for me coz she knew I was trying to educate myself on property investment. And I loved it! I’m already 1/2 way through it in a couple of days.

I hope to learn from all of you more experienced investors. As I am a green horn, I’d like to ask if there are any good threads I should read on the forums for the new comers. Thanks in advance.

Now my question.

How can we protect our +ve gearing properties from a rising interest rate? I saw on page 145 (o-130) that the interest rate once reached 17%. That’s incredible. Then I went back to Steve’s first example on his +ve gearing purchase and calculated how the IR (Interest Rate) would affect it. And with a 2.5% rise, it would neutralize the +ve gearing.

That’s a bit close for comfort considering how erratic the IR on Pg 145 is. I looks like its going down, but I’m assuming that its going to go up soon due to Aus’s big spending/boom recently, inflations, election and the goverment is going to have to increase it.

Correct me if some of my assumtions are downright wrong, I am very new. Going from Chef to properties isn’t exactly a walk in the meadows.

Hope someone can clear me up on this. Thanks. And very nice to meet you all.

Its great to have found a forum like this where I can learn so much, and hopefully in the future contribute to.

~Marvin

“Here I am!!! Now what’s your other 2 wishes?”[:D]

Profile photo of DevoDevo
    @devo

Hi Marvin!

Congrats on deciding to get out of the rat race through property. I must state up that we have yet to buy our first IP as my other halfd changed jobs recently and would you believe that we cannot get any finance sorted until her probationary period is finalised. Nevermind the fact that she was at a bank previously for 4years and is now with the QLD Police. I guess we’re just to risky for them at the mo. Anyway, we’ll get started in the next month or two I suppose I can be patient for a little longer.

One thing I did want to comment on with your below post was your concern about when interest rates hit 17% in the early nineties. One of the main reasons for this was the deregulation of the banking industry. This created easy passage for foreign banks to enter the domestic market. The banking sector was flooded with foreign lenders who couldn’t throw enough money at business fast enough. There were a lot of people/businesses overextended driven by the undertone of an economy humming along. However this could not last as the government needed to get some of this money back to try and level off a very volitile economy. RBA did this by utilising monetary policy i.e. manipulating interest rates. Long story short, too many foreign banks offered too much money under the new deregulated banking industry (hence Paul Keating’s statement: the recession we had to have) denoting that one of the attributes of a deregulated markets is that by design, it sorts out who should be in the market and who should be eaten up and spat out. Interest rates rose dramatically as money need to be recouped. The banking industry is no longer as volitile as those who should not be in the banking sector are no longer there, therefore rate rises of up to 10% seem to be reasonable. In my opinion, I doubt interest rates will get much higher as the circumstances are vastly different to the early 90’s. Do your risk management and allow for 10% interest as a worse case sceniario in your calculations. That way you’ll still be able to sleep at night. The above is only my opinion.

Good luck!

Cheers
    Steve

quote:

Now my question.

How can we protect our +ve gearing properties from a rising interest rate? I saw on page 145 (o-130) that the interest rate once reached 17%. That’s incredible. Then I went back to Steve’s first example on his +ve gearing purchase and calculated how the IR (Interest Rate) would affect it. And with a 2.5% rise, it would neutralize the +ve gearing.

That’s a bit close for comfort considering how erratic the IR on Pg 145 is. I looks like its going down, but I’m assuming that its going to go up soon due to Aus’s big spending/boom recently, inflations, election and the goverment is going to have to increase it.

Correct me if some of my assumtions are downright wrong, I am very new. Going from Chef to properties isn’t exactly a walk in the meadows.

Hope someone can clear me up on this. Thanks. And very nice to meet you all.

Its great to have found a forum like this where I can learn so much, and hopefully in the future contribute to.

~Marvin

“Here I am!!! Now what’s your other 2 wishes?”[:D]

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Marvin,

Regarding your question, if you think the interest rate will rise in the near future, can you actually predict when will it fall in the future as well?

I believe if the interest rate start climbing then it is the time to fix interest rate say 5 years. During this 5 years you don’t have to worry about the market. If you have spare cash then you might try to pay off the principles just in case after 5 years the interest rate is at it peak. The amount of interest rate comparing to the original is much less to pay to the bank.

Kind regards

Chandara
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

Profile photo of GlobetrotterGlobetrotter
    @globetrotter

How do you then handle interest rates if you have a 25-30 year wrap deal?

i.e. if you buy a property and get 5 year fixed interest. You then vendor finance and your buyer wishes to have 25 year fixed.

That puts me in a risk position.

Haow do you mitigate that risk?

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Hey Globetrotter

That one’s easy. You don’t offer your buyer a 25 year fixed term. The best (should I say only?) way to do it would be to have their term mirror yours. If they want variable, you have variable. If they want fixed for up to 10 years, you fix yours for the same length.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of jarvisjarvis
    @jarvis

Hey Marvin,

I was thinking along the same lines as you. I am 26 also in mid-life crisis. Wouldn’t want to work my whole life too[:D]Hate the rat race i am in .
    I have just stared to pick up property investments too recently, came across Steve’s book, bought it and finished it once now going it through the 2nd time. To knock and lock the info in this thick skull of mine[}:)].
    And In regards to your question you should go download bonus chapter in this fourm under the book title. Steve has addition info on increasing IRs.
    I am in Qld.MaYbe we could start a newbie fourm.[8D]. By the way i love Sushi..

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Marvin

We are based in Brisbane so if you need a local contact to bounce ideas off or just need information please feel to email me.

Cheers Richard
    [email protected]

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Protection from Interest Rates and New Comer Intro’ is closed to new replies.