All Topics / General Property / Loan repayments

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of Captain2Captain2
    Participant
    @captain2

Hi,

this is my first post…great site!
    I have one investment property io $219,000
    rent=$295 pw, property value approx $340,000. I also have a 216,000 loan on my personal prop.
    I currently am paying $1600 p&i 5.95% on my personal prop pm but am contemplating paying fortnightly. Does anybody have pro’s /con’s. I understand that fortnightly I am actually paying more per calendar year, is there something I am missing?
    I hope this topic is not too common
    [:)]

Profile photo of BillfromozBillfromoz
    Participant
    @billfromoz

G’day Captain…

Paying fortnightly will serve you well.

The reality is that you are making an extra 1 months payment pa.
    Don’t forget though,1600×12/26=$738.46 = 25 years
    Needs to be 1600/2 =$800pf *26 = 19.5 years

For example…a 25 year loan and paying fortnightly will reduce your term to about 19.5 years…that is a lot of interest saved.

However….only pay the minimum required on your Investment Property while you have a mortgage on the family home. No disadvantage whatsoever…especially if you have an offset account to redraw if need be.

Cheers

Billfromoz

Profile photo of andreiandrei
    Participant
    @andrei

that was a good explanation of benefits of more frequent payments – but that only works if your loan permits this… Check the loan documents, it may have a specific paragraph that fortnightly and weekly repayments would not speed up the process. This does not appear to be common issue but happens with some smaller lenders.

Cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.