All Topics / General Property / property management in rural area

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of milen007milen007
    @milen007

I am just wondering how often you do an inspection on the rural investment property? just say you need to travel at least 3 hrs to the property. once a year? twice?

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi Milen007

i live in Stawell Vic 240km west of Melbourne, i have properties in the Latrobe Valley 140km east of Melbourne and i haven’t been inside since i bought them in 1997. i also have properties in adelaide which i have only seen from the outside since i bought them 6 years ago. i don’t feel the need to see them the agents keep me informed, (i hope?). maybe i’m slack.
    regards westan

Profile photo of milen007milen007
    @milen007

Hi Westan

have you got any problem with them? such as tenant from hell? the agent take care of everything? due deligent on the new tenant?

quote:

hi Milen007

i live in Stawell Vic 240km west of Melbourne, i have properties in the Latrobe Valley 140km east of Melbourne and i haven’t been inside since i bought them in 1997. i also have properties in adelaide which i have only seen from the outside since i bought them 6 years ago. i don’t feel the need to see them the agents keep me informed, (i hope?). maybe i’m slack.
    regards westan

Profile photo of ErikaErika
    @erika

Hi milen007
    We inspect atleast some of our properties every year. We Have most of them with the one manager but still like to make sure he is keeping the places to our liking. Especially in the start it is a good idea to do inspections more often until you build a good relation with the PM and he understands what you want. Our place in Darwin we only visit about every 3 years but we still see it occasionally. We also rent ourselves which gives us the other side sure it is a pain when they do regular inspections and the owner drops in but we have lived in places where in PM never does inspections great for us but I wonder what they tell the owner. Remember it is your place not theirs you need to make sure every thing is OK
    Oh and ours are atleast 1000kms being rural or city shouldnt matter
    Erika

@westan

Hi all

yes there are always problems of some kind (we have over 20 properties), sometimes i feel the agents haven’t done their screening propertly. but then again i’ve managed proiperties and put in problem tenants also. On one occasion i let to a single mum, she seemed good and her mum came along with her to look at the house, i did some investigating and she was OK. but then she got back with her ex husband a well known drug dealer he moved in and then problems started.
    i always have landlord insurance to cover problems. the key is to find good managers sometimes this is trialand error.
    regards westan

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

I recommend you do bi-annual property inspections to ensure your property is functioning as expected.

Here’s a thought… even if you self manage, perhaps you could pay a local rental manager a once off fee to complete a condition report for you or to report back with any problems.

Remember that time is precious – and if you pat $150 to save 3 hrs of travel + the time on the ground doing the inspection… it sounds like value to me.

On that note, it would pay to actually go to the area at least once a year to get a feel for any changes to the community/area in terms of price, infrastructure etc.

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

@westan

hi steve

in my interpretation you have just contridicted yourself.
    Are you saying we should be self inspecting every 6 months or pay someone to do it.
    surely you wouldn’t personally inspect your properties? isn’t the reason why we have a manager to free us from the hastle of property inspections? or am i being neglectful of my properties, not personally inspecting them.
    regards westan

Profile photo of HamsterHamster
    @hamster

It’s best to come along to the inspection and inspect the property for yourself, once in a while.

I read the previous report and then went to inspect the property along with my property manager and I found there were a lot of things that were not reported. Little things that could have been done to make your tenants happy to keep on renting or make the tenants keeping the property in a better shape.

In case of distance and the troubles to get there, you can claim all of it on tax ie. travel, accommodation, etc. It’s just like having a weekend away, fully paid.

Spending a couple of hours to inspect the houses, get to know your tenants (may be), a better rapport with your property manager(s) and the rest of the time fishing or site see-ing. It’s great for you and it’s great for the whole family.

[:D][:D][:D]

@westan

hi All

hamster i agree thats a good idea. it’s worth having a chat to your tenants to find out what is going on with the house, for no one knows the property like the one living in it. when inspecting properties to buy if the tenant is around i always ask them ” what would i need to do to the property to keep you happy to stay on as the tenant?” it amazes me the response, from “nothing its fine as it is” to “stop the roof leaking throughout the house”. (a bit off the topic but thought i’d add it anyway). i often go to adelaide to have quick holiday doing what you said (but inspect the properties from the outside).
    regards westan

Profile photo of JoffJoff
    @joff

Hi all,
    I own properties in melb.suburbs and western rural and have found property managers in the rural areas very good.
    For one thing, they usually have less properties on their books to care for compared to the big ger city offices.
    They have a good handle on the local demographics and can be invaluable for investing advice.

Another thing is they quite often know or know somebody who knows prospective tenants, thus making better informed decisions about who to rent your valuable asset to.

For the small fee they charge,(tax deductable) I reckon it’s the best deal going.

I would think a once a year visit or in between tenants is plenty.Just keep in regular contact with yor managing agent.
    Bye,
    Joff

Profile photo of milen007milen007
    @milen007

hi Joff

where about is your rural investing property?

Thanks for all the input. i can conclude that we got to see at least once a year on ip while we can getaway for the weekends to inspect our ips

quote:

Hi all,
    I own properties in melb.suburbs and western rural and have found property managers in the rural areas very good.
    For one thing, they usually have less properties on their books to care for compared to the big ger city offices.
    They have a good handle on the local demographics and can be invaluable for investing advice.

Another thing is they quite often know or know somebody who knows prospective tenants, thus making better informed decisions about who to rent your valuable asset to.

For the small fee they charge,(tax deductable) I reckon it’s the best deal going.

I would think a once a year visit or in between tenants is plenty.Just keep in regular contact with yor managing agent.
    Bye,
    Joff

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Hi, just want to tell you a story you hopefully will enjoy about PM in Amsterdam, where I come from, now we are on the topic of inspections. Because there is and has always been a housing shortage, most people have a lifelong lease. If you want to move, you’ve gotta find someone through papers/internent who wants to swap houses with you. My brother has just been doing this.

No property manager ever cares about inspecting the place, in fact I think it is unheard of. My mum has been living in the same unit for 60 years, has never had an inspection in her life. No-one I know ever had an inspection. You can do whatever you like. My mum has renovated her house, banged a wall out to make the living room bigger since she didn’t need the 3rd bedroom. (Well when the next tenant rents this place they might just put a wall back in if they desire another bedroom). THis is how it works over there. Carpets, curtains, stoves, everything is supplied by the tenant. The place comes empty when you rent it. Many people pay the previous owner (the one you swap with) for things like floorboards etc. They make up their own deals, swap stoves or BYO etc.

The first time I heard about property inspections is when I came to Australia and rented. I couldn’t believe they checked if you didn’t hang up pictures!!! No nail in the wall allowed??? I really couldn’t believe it! We hated renting here so much!

Now we own our own home and are starting to invest, I can see the other side. I don’t want tenants banging nails in walls whereever they like! Gee people can change! I find it funny now, that in Amsterdam everybody can do whatever they like, there are no vacancies anyway.
    The strange thing is, that almost all tenants (everyone I know at least) look after their properties as if they were their own homes.

Yes the landlords are repairing things, and maintaining it if necessary, e.g. painting verandahs, but many tenants are taking this task upon themselves, same for improvements. People are putting beautiful floorboards down, improving a garden etc.
    I think it’s great that different countries have grown different ‘rules’, it keeps things in perspective.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.