All Topics / General Property / Is the Deposit on an IP tax deductible?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of nofearnofear
    @nofear

Firstly, I apologise for creating a new thread….there seems to be one popping up every couple of minutes here. But after not having much luck with the Search tool….

1) Is the Deposit that is used to purchase an Investment Property tax deductible?

2) Is the amount of cahflow received that goes into paying off the loan on an IP also tax-deductible, or is it purely the amount that is used to pay off the interest rate component?

Cheers
    Doug

Have handcuffs….will travel.

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

Hi nofear

I am not an accountant, but to the best of my knowledge it is just the interest on both the deposit and the loan you can claim tax on.

Please check with an accountant tho!

Regards Bear

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your post.

quote:

1) Is the Deposit that is used to purchase an Investment Property tax deductible?

No – it forms part of the cost of your property.

quote:

2) Is the amount of cahflow received that goes into paying off the loan on an IP also tax-deductible, or is it purely the amount that is used to pay off the interest rate component?

Your cashflow will have a portion of capital (ie. loan repayment, capital repairs) and a portion of income (profit). Only the income portion is taxable – the capital portion is adjusted in terms of any capital gains tax when you sell.

This is a little complicated… perhaps a 1/2 hr chat with any properly qualified tax adviser would be very helpful and worth the $100 or so dollars.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of nofearnofear
    @nofear

Steve and Bear, thanx for your time.
    Cheers
    Doug

I admit it….I know nothing..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.