All Topics / Forum Frolic / What Pets do you have ?

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Profile photo of SmaointeSmaointe
    @smaointe

I just videotaped three of my boys escaping from their cage.

Rats are SO clever – the boys wedged more and more cloth under the cage door to hold it open enough that they could squeeze their fat little bodies through… naughty!

Usually it’s the girls who do all the naughty things. The boys have escaped 4 times in the last couple of days, and I couldn’t work out how they were doing it.. now I have video evidence!

Profile photo of ArtyArty
    Participant
    @arty

Castle Dreamer:

quote:

Hi Pinky – where are you located? If you really wnat rats, I can introduce you to the local chapter of the Aus Rodent Fanciers Society –

Could you please give me information for Pinky on this club, i told her you posted. [:)]

Regards,
    Arty.

[:)]
    “Why work to the age where you cant enjoy
    what you have worked for !.” (Author: Me)

Profile photo of SmaointeSmaointe
    @smaointe
    Participant
    @arty

Smaointe,

Many thanks for that!..[:D]

I have sent your post home to Pinky…

We havent got the Rats yet, we have picked the cage, and we want 3 to start the pack off… LOL [:)]
    We will have them by the 15th October. [;)]

Regards,
    Arty.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

thanx so much for them web sites!! Im looking at the Vic one now [:D]

Profile photo of jezjez
    @jez

quote:

I have 18 rats, and they are the most fantastic pets that you could ever EVER own. You can see some of them at http://www.rockabyeratties.com .

Are you out of the rat race yet, Smaointe? [:D]

All we have at the moment is a pure bread cocker spaniel named Sonny Jim, as well as a canary named Charlie. Used to also have another cocker spaniel (blue rone) named Ruby, she was a great dog.

Have had two budgies, doody boy and uncle feather. Also as a six year old I thought it would be a good idea to get a hen (hey whatever pet has edible produce?) so we had 3 chooks; henny, penny and foghorn (in the Melbourne suburb of Box Hill).

Initially grew up with dalmatians. The first one Sugako got cancer and had to be put down, the second one Mitchica was vicious and bit anyone who came within 10 metres of him so he was put down as well

Jeremy Lunn
    Melbourne

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

It looks like Pinky and Arty are only just about to start in the rat race!![8D] They’ve got a long way to go……

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

I have just come back from a place that makes bird cages…they are going to make me a cage specially for the rats we get…..coz I told them exactly what I want. I have looked long and hard at the cages they sell….and have found them way too small. Looks like our rats could end up with better housing than us!! LOLOL

~ If at first you dont succeed…destroy ALL evidence you ever tried to begin with! ~

Participant
    @arty

Pinky explained the cage to me last night.. its 600mm by 900mm and the height is 600mm… it sounds huge![:D]

We thought it through, it would be a bugger to clean, you couldnt really carry it out to the back and hose it out all the time…. so I thought we can get them to put like the bottom of bird cages .. a grate at the bottom, and a tray below that, so we can scoop out the wood shaving by hand, and pull the tray out to clean that…[;)]

We can still take the cage a hose it out once a month? based on how messy they are …[8D]

Regards,
    Arty.

@smaointe

I don’t want to stick my nose in, but I just wanted to let you guys know – wood shavings aren’t a good idea for rats, the chemicals in the wood can cause respiratory problems. I use recycled paper kitty litter (never the clay kind), you can get it from supermarkets. The brand I buy is Breeder’s Choice, it’s great stuff.

It’s also not a good idea to have a wire floor on the cage (as in most bird cages), because walking on wire can cause a ratty foot problem called bumblefoot, where their little feet get swollen and sore. My cages have wire floors, but I cover them with lino or adhesive tiles, which I can wipe down. Adhesive tiles are great because you can remove them and wash them, and even after washing they retain their “stick”.

How exciting! If I’m not careful I’ll catch new-rat-fever from you and end up getting more ratties :/

Participant
    @arty

Smaointe…

Ahhh many thanks for that !!. [:O][:O]

We use wood shaving for our 2 mice now.
    So we thought it would be ok.

As for the base, I have some new lino in the shed, that was left over. I can cut that to size. Would the Rats chew on the lino ?

Thank you again.. and from the Rats.. [:D]

Regards,
    Arty.

@smaointe

Yes, they will probably chew on the lino (particularly if they’re girls), but that’s just par for the ratty course.

(:

Participant
    @arty

Smaointe… wouldnt the lino make them sick ? [xx(]

I have plenty of it…if i need to replace it all the time at least.[:D][:D]

Regards,
    Arty.

@smaointe

They don’t actually eat the lino.. just chew it.

Participant
    @arty

Smaointe …….

We got HAY and recycled paper cat litter… to line the bottom of the cage..

Another question.. one of them “Ginger” the Albino, we think is “blind” !

its very dosile, and looks as if it cant see.. [:O]

As our daughter picked it, we dont want to shatter her feeling by telling her..
    and we dont want to replace it as its a living animal and thats not fair on the rat!. We will still love the rat, it is affectionate.

Any suggestions to confirm its blind, or do we need to do anything different ?

[:)][:)][:)][:)]

Regards,
    Arty.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.