All Topics / Forum Frolic / What Pets do you have ?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)
  • Profile photo of ArtyArty
    Participant
    @arty

This is a real test of your kindness, and caring for our animals friends… [8)]

Id like to hear about any animals you may have now, or had in the past… the more unusual the better.. LOL [:D]

I’ll start:
    At present we have:

6 Cats (Gizmo, Pepsi, Gadget, Storm, Boof, Sunny)
    3 Dogs (Magic, Harley, Marie)
    2 Mice (Alexa (tailess mice “manx”), Meranda)

The Pinky side of the family used to have “Horses”… before my time LOL [:)]

We usually spend some time with the mice outside their cage at night when the kids are off to bed, just for the stretch… last night, I was watching TV with a Alexa (mice) half asleep on me.. LOL [:D]

Regards,
    Arty.

[:)]
    “Why work to the age where you cant enjoy
    what you have worked for !.” (Author: Me)

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru

I used to have cockroaches and spiders but now nothing since I got chinese pest control.[8D]

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

I am a country girl…..born n bred [:D]

Arty negelected to mention the 3 rats I want…
    Im starting to think rats scare him…..hahahaha

~ Heaven doesnt want me and Hell is afraid I will take over! ~

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

what’s chinese whassit?

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru

Hi Mini,
    One of my chinese friend got me some powder from some one of the shop it’s work like miracle I had so many of these creatures every where. ( I was even thinking of changing my flat) But after putting that powder in the kitchen all gone is 2 weeks and since that time nothing I am so Happy without my pets. [:D]

I still got brand new pest control thing which I used to buy from coles etc every week. [:)] All are on sale at 90% off [8D]

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Guys

We have an Oskar.[:D] A ferocious little tri coloured fox terrier that absolutely hates possums. His tally stands at about 1300.
    We used to hunt them a few years ago.[:O]
    He would chase them up a tree and I would shoot them. Once I got it away from the dog I would pluck it. The fur is at the moment worth $60 per kg.[}:)][}:)]
    He chewed Westan up the other day until told he was a friend. Now he spends most of his time sleeping in front of the fire.[|)]

Regards

Profile photo of ArtyArty
    Participant
    @arty

..(clearing throat..)

1. Amit..Yeah, id prefer power to spider and cockroaches !! [xx(]

2. Pinky “was” born, but she aint been “bred” that well.. LOL [:D]……….DAMN!, I can feel the bruise already !!> [B)][B)]

3. Muppet..we had an Oskar (Oscar), but he was a red heeler, slightly bigger.. LOL [:D]

4. You wanted 1 rat… now its 3 !!…Dont try to pull that “they’ll need friends to play with” story with me Pinkette.. [8)][8)][B)][B)]

Regards,
    Arty.

Profile photo of EcclesEccles
    @eccles

1 full size horse – Raki
    4 mini horses ( a couple for sale anyone interested)
    2 bull Terriers – Neville and Binda
    Finches, parrots
    1 cat – slinky Malinki
    3 chickens – steggles, ingham and Kentucky

I used to have two rats Eccles and Stryfe. They grew old and died and I never replaced them.
    They are wonderful creatures we used to play Velcro Rat with them and they went with me everywhere.

Bronwen

If the good die young then I will live forever

Participant
    @arty

Eccles dont tell Pinky about the horses LOL.. she’ll want them LOL [:D]

I like the names of the chickens …[:D]

“3 chickens – steggles, ingham and Kentucky”

Regards,
    Arty.

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

OK HERE GOES…

We have:

3 Quarter horses, and one brand new palomino foal.
    2 Talking Galahs,
    3 Ringneck Doves,
    2 Cats,
    2 Sheepies,
    1 Fat Golden Retriever.
    2 kids.

There’s more to life than money, animals are great for stress relief.

Del

Profile photo of SmaointeSmaointe
    @smaointe

Hello! I’m new here, I haven’t been brave enough to post in the general section, but I couldn’t resist answering this topic!

I have 18 rats, and they are the most fantastic pets that you could ever EVER own. You can see some of them at http://www.rockabyeratties.com .

Arty: actually you should always have at least two rats (of the same sex, of course), because they are very social animals and MUST have a friend to live with. Three would be even better.

…. or 18…

Famous last words: “No more than four, I SWEAR.” [:D]

Participant
    @arty

wilandel, 3 Ringneck Doves, are unusual !..
    You must be on a nice farmish property with the horses… thats what we would like to do ! [:D]

Smaointe, welcome to the forum, [:D]
    Now take your RATS and leave.. LOL [:D]

18 Rats!!!, why ???
    Are they albino ? (red eyes)[;)]

Regards,
    Arty.

@smaointe

*grin*
    Thanks for the welcome!

I have 18 because with rats, “you can’t stop at one”. They are all different colours: mink (grey), agouti (brown), silverfawn (orange), cinnamon (another brown!), and champagne (cream). I’ve also had pink-eyed-white and black ones before. Most are mink at the moment because we had a mink litter and kept 9 of the babies.

Rats are the best little pets.. they are so affectionate, cheeky, naughty, cuddly, playful, silly little bundles of fuzz.

There’s nothing better than letting 9 girls out to run on the bed, and having them run to the edge to try and get to you – they really are very affectionate.

I am at work at the moment.. can’t wait to get home and play with them… although 5 rat cages to clean is not my idea of fun.

(:

Participant
    @arty

Smaointe where do you keep all the cages ?

Regards,
    Arty.

@smaointe

Why, in my bedroom, of course! [:D]

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Smaointe…..thank you [:D] Hopefully you have helped persuade arty thats rats are good family pets!!

The girl at the pet shop said the albino ones tend to have shorter life spans…IM wondering if this is true.

Im guessing, bacause rats are so social…we should buy FOUR. Just in case….[:D][:D]

@smaointe

Sounds like the girl knows nothing about rats!

Eye colour has nothing to do with lifespan. In fact, pink eyed white (PEW) rats aren’t actually albino at all. The pink eye gene acts to dilute the coat to white, but they’re not true albino.

You can also get rats with ruby eyes – they look black, but in good light they are a deep red.

Lifespan doesn’t have anything to do with colour or eyes!

Participant
    @arty

Thats it… Smaointe has got a ban from here.. LOL [:D]

The rat count has gone from 1 to 4 !

Did Pinky mention we also have “6” hungry cats!, 2 mice, and 3 dogs ?? [B)][B)]

Regards,
    Arty.

Keymaster
    @piadmin

thank you for than info…coz I saw the most gorgeous white rat. I also saw a fair colored ginger one that I loved at first sight.

Seeing as you know ALOT more than I do…can I ask if your rats bite or attempted to when u first got them? When we first got our mice the little buggers bit alot…and rats have larger teeth!

@smaointe

Hi Pinky – I love PEWs, they are very pretty. I don’t even notice the pink eyes these days, but I know it creeps some people out.

Whether a rat bites depends a lot on how it is handled as a baby. When I breed ratties, I make sure I handle them from day one, and as they get older, they are subjected to a lot of rough-and-tumble play which makes them very tolerant around humans.

Some pet store rats don’t have this nice “childhood” because their breeders don’t realise you can handle the babies as soon as they are born (they think the mother will reject or kill them), so they haven’t had a lot of contact with humans early on, and as a result they aren’t as docile. I have some pet store rats that are a little shy and nervous, whereas my pedigreed rats are very docile. Having said that, though, I have had some amazing pet store ratties!

I’ve only had one rat that was truly a biter (she was pedigreed). Most gorgeous rat you have ever seen, but she was a real nasty one!

Sometimes rats are territorial – they may bite if you put your hand in the cage, but outside the cage they are fine. You just need to respect their space! Also, pink eyed rats have poor eyesight (worse than dark eyed rats), so never sneak up on a rat suddenly, they may bite. I have an old rat who is nearly completely blind now, and she is the most docile rat I’ve ever had – but she WILL bite if she doesn’t know who is poking her. Another thing to be careful of is strange smells on your fingers – either other rats or food. Even my most docile of boys will snatch at fingers that smell like a treat.

Sometimes rats bite to find out what something is – bite first, ask questions later. These bites are quick and don’t hurt, they’re just a bit of a shock. When a rat really wants to bite you’d know about it. Again, I’ve really only had a couple of rats that truly bit hard, one was poorly bred, and the others were cranky about me invading their nests.

Generally though, rats will not bite unless they are hurt, scared, or have been mistreated in the past.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.