All Topics / Forum Frolic / Favourite Movie?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • Profile photo of WallFlowerWallFlower
    @wallflower

More(moore) US bashin’ stuff george??
    Is it a video flick?

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

Many good movies come to mind.

How about ‘Silence of the Lambs’ (good for a first date?),

and Shawshank Redemtion.

Saving Private Ryan
    The Beast of War
    Forest Gump
    Terminator
    Ghost

The worst movie I have seen in recent years would have to be ‘The Cell’ Didn’t go to a movie for about a year after that.It was total crap.

Just now I’m reading Dr Seuss books to my 4 year old. ‘Sneeches and other storys’ also ‘Hop on Pop’
    and ‘Green Eggs and Ham’. So there you are.

Purse

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi WallFlower,
    It’s not a ‘video flic’. It was released in America a few weeks ago and has grossed the most ‘ever in US history’ for a documentary. It wasn’t even released generally (ie, Hoyts, Village type outlets, etc). I think it will have a big impact on G.W. Bushs’ election outcome. I won’t swallow all of it but it is definetely worth a taste. I have no idea how Moore got access to some of the Iraq footage and early documents on bush?
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Gats,

I’ll be watching it this week. Did you see Bowling for Columbine? It had a big impact too, but I think Farenheit 9/11 will have more of an impact because of the election and the war on Iraq. Bush’s spin doctors have been out though, hacking the doco to pieces already. Guess that’s a good sign- means they’re scared.

kay henry

Profile photo of drhappydrhappy
    @drhappy

[biggrin]

Definitely THE BLUES BROTHERS

cheers Deano

@gatsby

Hi Kay et al, Firstly ‘Lost in Translation’. I saw it 3 times. Post or pm back to me anyone who is an art house lover, why I felt so strongly about this production. Today ‘F9/11’ grossed the most in OZ for a doco ever (that still hasn’t been generally released yet!!). Kay, both ‘Bowling’ and ‘9/11’ have the recurring theme/truth in America (and here). Keep people stupid and in a constant state of fear and people will do and follow the most injust atrocities. A few years ago a guy in America was jailed for burning the American flag. Personally, I hate patriosm. The last time I looked, it was a round world???? One guy said ‘My dad died in the last war for that flag! People acted as if the Supreme Court approved of flag burning. They didn’t say that. “Does that mean we have to burn our flags?………..NO! They said that if perhaps somebody wants to burn the flag, he or she doesn’t have to go to jail for a YEAR! Pretty harsh on their behalf. “Listen, read, calm down, shut the f*&ck up!” “Well I don’t get it, I don’t want to burn my flag?” “THEN DON’T”!! People actually snapped over this.
    “Hey listen Gatsby, my dad died for that flag”
    “Really, well I bought mine, you know they sell them at Ozzy Disposals?”
    “Yeah Gats, My dad died in the Vietnam war for that flag”
    “Well what a coincidence, mine was made in Vietnam! Well, the world is that small!”
    No one has ever died for a flag. A flag is a piece of cloth. They may have died for ‘freedom’ which, by the way, is the freedom to burn a flag?
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Dear Gats,

Margaret Pomeranz and David whatshisname just gave Farenheit 9/11 a VERY good review and 4 stars. How come you got to see it before its general release Gats?

Hey Mister Gatsby, have you read any Naomi Klein? She’s considered the “new Marx”. Her book is No Logo (sorry if you know all about her- not trying to patronise). If you haven’t read it, I think you’d enjoy it. She writes well too- very plain grassroots english.

kay henry

@gatsby

Hi Kay,
    I’m aware of Naomi Klein but I can’t claim to have read any of her stuff cover to cover. Indy films are my passion. I saw 9/11 2 weeks ago at a premiere launch. I prefer to see a director, producer, writer of a film that I like before it’s release/review so I can make up my own mind of how I score it. The bottom line in a film to me has to be the ‘narrative’, Without that you can’t make butter without a toothpick!
    Cheers
    ‘Gats!’

@gatsby

RE: Shawshank Redemption. See ‘Papillion’ (Butterfly). Better still, read the book.
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

African Queen
    LOTR
    Rock Horror
    Princess Bride
    Logan’s Run
    Rollerball (the original)
    Whatever movie I go see next

Books:
    Everything by Lois Bujold
    Everything by Orson Scott Card
    Everything by Terry Pratchett
    Everything by Piers Anthony
    Everything by David Brin
    um – lots more but not on the tip of my tongue…my issue is keeping up with all the good books, I barely fit in three a week these days :(

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Profile photo of sizzling_ducksizzling_duck
    @sizzling_duck
    No one has ever died for a flag. A flag is a piece of cloth. They may have died for ‘freedom’ which, by the way, is the freedom to burn a flag?

Flags/banners/colours are all throwbacks to the past in which the falling of a flag/banner or unit colours would signal chaos for the force that lost their peice of cloth.

Morale was so important during a conflict (and is still important) that most attacks were to take down the banner bearer, it was just so important. Even in this day in sporting events a person’s heart might swell with joy if their country’s sportman say wins a gold at the olympics and see their flag fly.

Unfortunately few movies either in a fantasy setting (such as LOTR) or historic setting do they depict this. Maybe the series Sharpes Rifles (I think, very similar standard set by the excellent series Hornblower, Sharpes Rifles had Sean Bean as the lead…for the record just one episode of Hornblower was far better than Master and Commander for me[jerry]).

Profile photo of drhappydrhappy
    @drhappy

[whistle]

I also like movies with a twist in the tail and one movie I just had no idea about till they told us was THE SIXTH SENSE. I loved it

cheers Deano

@gatsby

Today I saw ‘Bus 175’. Fantastic documentary and a very sad and tragic one, left me in tears. Kay, I think you’d enjoy seeing this. I won’t describe the story but if you’re in Melbourne then go to the Nova where it’s showing.
    Regards,
    Gatsby!

Profile photo of bennidobennido
    Participant
    @bennido

Here’s my list …

All the Star Wars movies
    All the Battlestar Galactica movies
    All the LOTR movies
    All Superhero movies
    All Naked Gun movies

Roadhouse
    Spaceballs
    Serendipity
    Electric Dreams
    Krull

P.S. I hate anything to do with Star Trek !

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Gee I only nominated one movie as the thread question asked “favourite movie” (singular) and it was hard going, racking my brain to pick just ONE fav….okay, so now I can add to my list??? [specool]

Shawshank Redemption (nominated in previous post)
    Grumpy old Men
    Grumpy old Men II
    The Odd Couple (original with Jack and Walter)
    Top Gun (good drool value here girls)
    The Thomas Crown Affair (ditto above)
    The Color Purple
    The Seventh Sign
    War of the Worlds
    Scent of a Woman
    The Insider
    Night at the Roxbury
    History of the World Part I

(there’s so many, I better stop there)!!!

@gatsby

I guess one I forgot (unless someone else has covered it) was Spike Lee’s ‘When We Were Kings’. I’m no boxing fan at all, but this Doco showed the power of the human spirit and the method in the madness, despite all odds. One thing I’ve noticed is that Doco’s of late have made somewhat of a Renaissance over the last 18 months – 2 years! Generally the quality of Doco’s that take out prizes are now taking out ‘Grand Jury’ Prizes over entertainment films in places such as Canne, Sundance, Berlin, etc., despite staying within budgets that are a fraction of mainstream entertainment. I’m not just referring to the obvious Mike Moore stuff, but it’s great to see countries like Iran and Russia kicking arse, etc. There is some real talent and thanks to Indy movie outlets these producers/directors are starting to receive the accolades they deserve. It will be interesting to see what comes out of the International Brissy film Festival (Toni Collette’s film for one) that makes it to mainstream outlets? That in itself is a huge achievement!
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

@gatsby

Also saw the shorts to ‘The Life and Death of Peter Sellers’ with Geoffrey Rush. I never liked him as an actor initially, however I have started to warm to him quite a bit. He’s a true chameleon.
    Cheers,
    Gatsby!

Profile photo of BarnseyBarnsey
    Participant
    @barnsey

Where to start?

The Italian Job (original vers.)
    Lock, Stock & 2 Smoking Barrells
    Snatch
    The Mean Machine (new vers.)
    anything Monty P
    (sorry) anything Bond except Lazenby
    Thomas Crown Affair ((new vers.) Renee Russo! fworrr!!!!!)
    LOTR
    Platoon
    Saving Private Ryan
    Chariots of Fire (ignoring the fact that they passed the port the wron way around the dining table)
    Mad Max
    anything Pixar (Nemo – pisser (“Wish I could speak whale!”))
    Man with no name, fist full of dollars, for a few dollars more

Gotta stop now or this could turn into the longest post in history!

Black Hawk Down..

Coyote Ugly (for the plot-honest!!)…

Apocalypse Now….

Ice Cold In Alex…..

Breakfast at Tiffany’s……

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Patrick

The dumbest question is the one you don’t ask.

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

Caught ‘The Recruit’ last night on Foxtel.

That is a great movie.

Colin Farrel and Al Pacino.

Lots of twists and a great plot.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome and well preserved body, but better to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming . …… Hell, what a trip !!”

Profile photo of BarnseyBarnsey
    Participant
    @barnsey

More…
    Top Gun
    Zulu
    Terminator
    Sleepless in Seattle
    Heartbreak Ridge…..

Regards

Patrick

The dumbest question is the one you don’t ask.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.