All Topics / Opinionated! / next meeting in Sydney

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Profile photo of vivartovivarto
    @vivarto

I’m curious, has anything happened? I was looking for a group but missed this thread until the re-org of the site so I started my own and we’ve already had our first meeting. What’s the story here?

Profile photo of WonbatWonbat
    @wonbat

Where do you meet and when

Profile photo of vivartovivarto
    @vivarto

In Five Dock, a week next Thursday. Email me: [email protected]

I had a thread (560+ hits) going with a lot of my thoughts and the approach I wanted to take but it got deleted in the re-org and hasn’t come back yet. I’m really not interested in writing it all out again but basically I want to take a structured, disciplined approach – statement of goals, balance sheet, cash flow statements etc

If my thread doesn’t reappear, I start a new one.

quote:

Where do you meet and when

Profile photo of MathonMathon
    @mathon
    @mathon

Hi,

Sounds good with the meeting….. but could it be in the CBD area instead and on sunday?

@vivarto

Hi Mathalon,

The short answer is no. The long answer is that the problem with organising such a group is that there is never going to be a time and place that suits everyone and trying to do so is what probably caused the original attempt to get together to fail.

My view is somewhat selfish. I have a vision of what I want to achieve and the way I want to do it. I’ve invited others to join me but I don’t want to end up thrashing and achieving nothing by attempting to be all things to all men (and women!)

The meeting’s a week on Thursday in Five Dock and you’re very welcome to come along. The thread for this is going to appear in the Heads-up section either by being moved from Opinionated or by me starting a new thread. I’ve had a pile of stuff to work through since the first meeting and I should be posting the ‘Thoughts of Chairman Tom’ in the next day or so.

Cheers, Tom

quote:

Hi,

Sounds good with the meeting….. but could it be in the CBD area instead and on sunday?

@vivarto

For those who were interested in meeting up but never did, below is the latest post to the ‘Investors Group for Newbies’ thread that can be found in ‘Opinionated’ (I’m trying to get it moved to ‘Heads-up’)

Wash-up from first investors group meeting held on 27/11/03

Off to a good start last Thursday. Small turnout but what the hell, we couldn’t have accommodated a cast of thousands anyway.

Firstly thanks to Otto for providing the venue and to Jeff for being our first presenter. Thanks to Amit for following up with the mailing list.

Overview
    There were only a few items on the agenda but somehow it still took nearly two hours to get through. The main event was an informal presentation by Jeff, (Still_in_school) of the investment strategy that has led him to having acquired 11 properties in less than a year. Not surprisingly this led to a good deal of discussion around the fine details of the process. No doubt this subject will still be a hot topic in future meetings.

The other main area discussed is what I’m now going to call Project Pushing. This consisted mainly of me using the group’s input to help clarify the approach I’d like to take rather than any formal start to the process. The end results of this synthesis are detailed in the General section below.

It was also decided to get together again in two weeks time at the same venue and that I would draft an agenda for the meeting, again see below.

Action Items
    1) The only formal action item to be defined was on Amit. Amit has got his head around Trusts and has agreed to prepare a twenty-minute presentation for the next meeting, which will be followed by a ten minute Q&A session. Amit is not a financial advisor so this is knowledge sharing by a peer – only.

Other Actions
    I have agreed to draft templates for:

· Statement of Goals document
    · Balance Sheet
    · Cash Flow Statement

This was not a formal action item as most people already have their own versions of these documents. The (selfish) intention is to ensure I have my own. I am however happy to share these templates with whoever is interested.

In addition I have challenged Amit to buy a CF+ property before me or forfeit a bottle of good Champagne, if he does then I’ll have to stump up the bubbly (however, given the current state of the market we may both be waiting a while to collect…)

General
    Personally I found the meeting extremely useful in helping to clarify my thinking. I have created V1 of the Statement of Goals and in doing so a further clarification occurred.

I now believe goals have two dimensions, time and life aspect. By life aspect I mean areas such as Financial, Career, Education etc – nothing new here – just new to me. I have broken the time dimension into: 5 years, 1 year, 6 months, 3 months, 1 month and, most importantly, tasks. The tasks relate to the 1-month goals and being such are very easy to define. The trick of course is to actually do them.

It was at this point that the idea of ‘Project Pushing’ crystalised. I define Project Pushing as the application of an external discipline to our own actions. By keeping the Statement of Goals up to date we will have a list of tasks to complete within the month. Meeting every fortnight or month to review / report progress to others on the tasks you’ve set yourself means you will have to stay focused in order to deliver.

I appreciate that this approach will not appeal to very many people but all this needs is two or three committed individuals to start with. I am quite happy to organize this. I would imagine that many people would drift off once they had acquired enough momentum. Again I would imagine that this approach would be more useful for newbies rather than those who are already making headway though I’m happy to be proved wrong.

However, I believe most people want to meet simply to network and share knowledge. Therefore, I would like to take a dual-track approach to future meetings. The first part of the meeting will be split into two streams: Project Pushing, for those interested, and general networking; the second part will be knowledge sharing by way of a presentation which will of course mean more networking. I’ve put together a preliminary agenda, see below, for the next meeting that I hope illustrates the idea.

At this point I want to know if there is any interest for the Project Pushing idea or am I pushing something else uphill! Email me if you want to get involved and based on the response I’ll adapt the meeting accordingly. Email: [email protected]. Please title the email Project Pushing.

Agenda

1a) First meeting of the PP group
    This will be a preliminary exploration of where we are individually and to flesh-out the approach taken.

1b) General networking (I’ll need someone to own this – any offers?)

2) Presentation on Trusts
    Content overview to be provided by Amit (cheers mate – really dropped you in it with this one eh?)

3) Date and venue of next meeting

4) Any other business

I’ll flesh-out the agenda once I get some feedback.

Cheers, Tom

As usual I’ll post this on the PI.com forum

Profile photo of lidfestlidfest
    @lidfest

I went to steve’s seminar on the weekend and its made me realise that its alot easier to learn with imput from a group of people.
    Is anyone getting together in the parramatta area at the moment. i seen a few posts from the kellyville area this would also be handy. please send me an email.

Paul. [email protected]

@mathon

To whom it may interest,
    All this group stuff is fine and dandy… but I have an idea. Let all who want action and plenty of it.

Let have some fun here and I will call it the Fellowship! The Fellowship of the cashflow(ha,ha!)

Those who would like to start now to do what Steve and Dave started many years age please contact me on my email [email protected]. And please address the title Propertyinvesting.com

I’m very sure we can organise something, I have some good ideas on that. But I need to know if anybody wants to start looking for property A.S.A.P!

quote:

The burden is mine! I will take the ring!

Profile photo of JulianJulian
    @julian

I am an IP investor as well, and very interest in your fellowship , please let me know any activities in the future, I live in Hurstville, I can attend your fellowship in Parramatta or CBD or else where . My email : [email protected]

Regards

Paulus

Profile photo of JulianJulian
    @julian

I am an IP investor as well, and very interest in your fellowship , please let me know any activities in the future, I live in Hurstville, I can attend your fellowship in Parramatta or CBD or else where . My email : [email protected]

Regards

Paulus

Profile photo of JacktarJacktar
    @jacktar

Please add me to your list of interseted persons for the Sydney meeting. I am happy to travel.

[email protected]

Regards
    Scotty

Profile photo of Smiley1Smiley1
    @smiley1

Hi all
    I am in Adelaide South Australia
    We are a group of 6 property investors who have an office and area to hold meetings. Our name is Platinum Partners Group Pty. Ltd.
    We hold meetings 1-2 times a month with workshops to fast track the knowledge that each of us has learnt.
    We also hold Cashflow game nights ( lots of fun )
    Everybody is welcome to come and join our group.
    We have been buying and trading property as a group now for about 12 months. We have some creative ideas that are great and are always looking to learn more.
    Email me at-: [email protected] and I will send out some info on dates etc.

quote:

Hello everyone!

Is there any group of investors in Sydney who meets on regular interval! can any one please tell me, i would love to join you guys. [?]

regards,[^]
    viral

Profile photo of JacktarJacktar
    @jacktar

Yes please, I am very interested!

Scotty

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.