All Topics / The Treasure Chest / money to live….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

hi all. just doing my budget. trying to figure out after all the fixed ‘costs’ ie mortgage payments, insurances, car, rates, bills etc etc

how much do you budget to ‘live’ on.

ie how much do all of you put away each month for the everyday stuff like groceries, petrol, going out, incidentals etc etc.

at the moment we budget abt 350 bucks per week.

ie this is the money that we withdraw every week. 150 for me, 200 for my wife (she pays for groceries). goes in our wallets and at the end of the week hopefully we havent spent it all.

what do you live on???

regarding map
    ps – steve can u pick me – i promise i will be good.
    [:D]

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Aussierogue,

Is it just the two of you?

I’m married with 4 kids, and I don’t think we even come close to 350 per week, on groceries, petrol, etc. Maybe $300 in a bad week, and I don’t think we live frugally either.

I think there is definitely some room for you to tighten the budget a little.

Just some thoughts,

Sue [:)]

Be careful not step on the flowers when you’re looking at the stars

Profile photo of lozza123lozza123
    @lozza123

Hi Aussierogue,

I think I’m a lot worse than most…. but then, we do budget for absolutely everything. We put away $400.00 a week into a separate account, and this covers every bill (i.e. including car rego, insurances, phone, gas, rates, everything) plus it also covers groceries, petrol, car repairs plus any medical expenses where we might be out of pocket after the Medicare rebate.

On top of that, we still draw a further $120.00 a week for “general” stuff – eg lunches, bread, entertainment, occasional take-aways, etc.

All that aside, we also manage to put one wage towards the mortgage. This gets taken out as soon as my hubby gets paid, so there’s no confusion there either.

Whatever’s left in the general savings account is ours to spend how we like.

Good luck with the budget!! I think it’s worth the effort.

Lozza

Profile photo of aj_2aj_2
    Participant
    @aj_2

quote:

Hi Aussierogue,

I think I’m a lot worse than most…. but then, we do budget for absolutely everything. We put away $400.00 a week into a separate account, and this covers every bill (i.e. including car rego, insurances, phone, gas, rates, everything) plus it also covers groceries, petrol, car repairs plus any medical expenses where we might be out of pocket after the Medicare rebate.

On top of that, we still draw a further $120.00 a week for “general” stuff – eg lunches, bread, entertainment, occasional take-aways, etc.

All that aside, we also manage to put one wage towards the mortgage. This gets taken out as soon as my hubby gets paid, so there’s no confusion there either.

Whatever’s left in the general savings account is ours to spend how we like.

Good luck with the budget!! I think it’s worth the effort.

Lozza

let’s see 4 adults $700 p/fortnight for food ,doc, house etc
    as for extra into other accounts arr no

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

I dont have a budget :(

YET!!

but when I learn to work one out I will have one..because I NEED one. Desperately….

[xx(][xx(][xx(]

~ Heaven doesnt want me and Hell is afraid I will take over! ~

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi all,

Hmmm a budget .. gotta do one. Keep putting it off, as the penciled ones continually realise a negative value. I have a program “Simply Budgets”, perhaps you have heard of it. I didn’t like it only because it showed that I would be in the red by millions if I don’t make a change. So figured it isn’t the program, but me who has to change. It’s produced by Jeydac Pty Ltd if anyone cares to look for it. Also have ordered the CD program from “Mortgagefreeaustralia.com.au”. It shows the implications of how say a tax refund may affect your mortgage as a one-off payment etc.

Hoping this may be of help to someone.

Kind regards, Phil

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi Aussierogue,

Glad to see someone is proactive with a budget. I aspire to your efforts.

For what it’s worth, I have heard the following advice from various and unrelated avenues.

PAY YOURSELF FIRST

Yep, no matter your income, pay yourself first. Live off the rest. And yes I have read “The Richest Man in Babylon” .. it quotes same. It’s simple maths but it makes so much sense, as our mothers tried to tell us as youngsters.

I used to dismiss my own mother’s quote “ten one cent pieces makes ten cents”. Seemed trivial as a kid, but makes lots more sense now.

I know it’s basic stuff, but think of it in terms of compounding interest.

All the best, Phil

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

The day i do a budget the”money – takers’ seem to know……. the car will get a flat battery, the bills all seem to arrive etc. it’s the same if you get a raise or a windfall. the money gremlins are out there beware [}:)]

In all honesty though every time i do a budget i find i can’t afford to live.

so point 1/ we all get by on what we get by on

and point 2/ the richest man in babylon is a wise old dude… pay yourself first!!

10% of all you earn is yours to keep [^]

“The man that thinks at 50 as he did when he was 20 has wasted 30 years of his life”

Profile photo of ErikaErika
    @erika

HI
    I cant beleive the number of people on this site that dont have a budget!!!!!
    Get on with it how do you ever expect to buy multiple investment properties without one.When you go to the bank and talk about getting a loan they like to see what kind of money managers you are. Start Today write down everytime you spend your money do this for a cvouple of months then sit down and do a budget.
    We spend $1100/ mth on food and petrol and my spending money my husband gets $350/mth to spend we have 3 kids We redo our budget once a year.

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

Erika wrote:

‘I cant beleive the number of people on this site that dont have a budget!!!!!’

I can. A detailed budget is only one means to give you control over your own finances.

Though a line by line budget works for some people, I’ve so far managed without it. And I consider I run a fairly tight ship on a very ordinary salary.

My recipe has been:

1. Pay yourself first by having investments taking out of your savings account each month. I use managed funds for this purpose, both share funds and fixed interest, to maintain a balanced portfolio. Some people say save 10% of your income, but I like 30% better!

2. The remainder is your spending money. But question every expenditure. Do you need it? Will it contribute long-term to your wellbeing? Does it save or waste time and money? Can you get one cheaper that will do the same thing?

3. Monitor your savigs account. If you see your savings account starting to rise over a period of months), increase your investments by (say) $50 or 100 per month. Do this until your savings account stablilises 3-6 months worth of expenditure for emergencies.

4. Review finances every six months to see if your portfolio allocation is OK.

With properties, I agree with budgeting for expenses, you you’re not caught short if there are several lots of rates, insurance, etc to pay at once.

For this I like the idea of putting 100% of your rent into paying it off (quickly). Rates, insurance, etc could come from your regular savings. Also I like the idea of saving with some growth investments (eg shares) so you can pay out your property loans when you want to retire.

Peter

Profile photo of lozza123lozza123
    @lozza123

Obviously I’m one of the few that budgets actually work for (well, sort of, anyway)!

Just wanted to add also that I now budget for Christmas as well. Christmas-time used to be the worst time, because it would take till February or March to clear off the credit card. I tried putting a set amount of money per week into an investment account, specially for Xmas. But then I thought, “how silly!” and decided to add it into our mortgage payments instead.

So $30.00 a week isn’t much, but at Christmas I can redraw up to $1500.00 if I need to, to pay for Xmas stuff. I don’t usually take the whole $1500.00 anyway. We have free redraws on our Home Loan anyway.

A budget doesn’t have to be exact…. just rough is better than none.

Lozza

At least that’s one less hassle to worry about

Profile photo of ErikaErika
    @erika

HI PeterP
    Its great if you can get by without really knowing how much you spend on everyday things. The problem that most people seem to have is that they can’t seem to save money, like you we save about 30% of my husbands wage, all investment income gets reinvested into investments.But it is really easy to work out bills and such. Take a look at last years bills longer if you ahve them work out how much they add up to for the year divide by the number of times you get paid and that is how much you need to put aside for them.Beats waiting for them to come in and hoping you have enough.
    Like lozzza we also save for xmas and B’days and xmas is a much happier time Knowing that the money is there, The first year is the hardest because you may be paying of some of last years excesses but if you can make it thru that year it gets easier.
    You need to look at what you earn and what you spend to really get a good grasp of your financial position for most people they are too afraid of what they will see.

Profile photo of JustAllanJustAllan
    Participant
    @justallan

If I can just say, that we have had a budget for a few years now. I’m on a disability pension, my wife receives parenting payment and we have two children…

We have more free money than all the people we know – most are couples – with both working full time. One of these families consists of a doctor and a registered nurse. A second family is a doctor and nursing home assistant. A locksmith, carpenter, mechanic… All of them marvel at our ability to save. All because of a budget.

Of course there’s more to it… We turn of lights when not using them. (The myth about leaving lights on saves money is – er… a myth. It only applies to florescents – and only if you switch back on witin 15 minutes.) The computer screen goes off when I leave the desk. When out, we don’t buy softdrink, ice-cream, takeaway – we wait 20 minutes til we get home. We never part-fill the car fuel tank, buy meat/canned in bulk (NOT from woolworths or coles – too expensive), use generic brand of most things…

Without a budget, you don’t realise where your money goes – or where your family members’ money goes. Once you do, you have a choice which things to stop buying – and the next time you go to buy them, it makes you think… “Do I really need that bottle of water right now, or can I wait til I get home from the supermarket in 12 minutes?”

It’s easier to save a dollar than work to make another one to replace it.

By the way… When we finally DID a budget and then STUCK to it… I was kicking myself HARD that we didn’t do it years ago.

Allan.

Edit: And I venture a guess – so would everyone else once they did the same.

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Allan,

it’s great to see such discipline and great respect for your money.
    I also know people who make way more money than us and just seem to throw it all away, they never seem to have anything spare.

Keep up the good work, I’m sure you’ve inspired a few people and may have scared some of them into a reality check.

Keep smiling,
    (It’s Free!)

Sue[:)]

Be careful not step on the flowers when you’re looking at the stars

Profile photo of ActTodayActToday
    Participant
    @acttoday

We are self employed and would find a budget difficult. We use credit cards for all private and small business purchases, all are accounted for through the business as well as power, phone, rates, car expenses etc. and as we are probably four nights a week either in the office until late or seeing clients etc.and I’m not getting any younger we tend to eat out a couple of times a week which would blow any budget because I am just too darn tired to be bothered cooking a meal. I do clean the house and wash clothes myself but the dog wash service and the car cleaning man are my best friends [:D]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘money to live….’ is closed to new replies.