Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of JapanScottJapanScott
    @japanscott

I was just wondering how much consideration banks take into account the HECS debt when loaning money to people. Assuming that the person has no other debt, does it change the borrowing power of the person?

Also, is it worth paying of the HECS debt as soon as possible, as the interest rate has been around 3% but home loans between 6-7%.

Scott

Profile photo of ImstillhungryImstillhungry
    @imstillhungry

Hi Scott,

Mmmmm…good question. I’d like some light on this one too. So far I havn’t mentioned it because it doesn’t really qualify as a student loan, does it?

I have a hefty Austudy supplement loan that I plan to pay as soon as I can simply because I just don’t like the idea of having the thing growing like a cancer in the dark recesses of my financial history [}:)] so I’ll get rid of mine when I can.

I guess some people accomodate dead debt comfortably and others uncomfortably…which one are you?

Keep researching and best of luck,
    Hungry[:D]
    Chiba, Japan (until April 2004)

Profile photo of JapanScottJapanScott
    @japanscott

Hey Hungry,

Another in Japan hey, popping up everywhere. I know what you mean about the cancer growing in the background. Just from a purely financial point of view, does it make sense to pay it off?

How long have you been over here? What part of Aus are you from?

Scott

@imstillhungry

Hi Scott,

To tell the truth, mate, I really think it all revolves around how much debt you actuall have. Mine is almost 10K (nice deposit[xx(]) by now with the growing interest (which is higher for a supplement loan I believe). If yours is significant it will still compound at three percent. If it is a low amount it won’t be so onerous, but that means it would be easier to pay out. Also I think at some point you’ll have to pay it out anyway (particularly if you go home to a higher paying job, if this is the case the weekly salary deductions would not be too tough I wouldn’t think at only a few %). If you wait too long though you could be paying a lot of dead money out to the gov.(though it might be easier for you by then) If you pay sooner it will be less (and you’ll have to work harder now to replace that lost capital).

I know this is probably not the answer you were hoping for but it all depends on what you have planned for the future and it is a decission that you’ll have to make based on your context.

By the way, I’ve been here for 18 mths and am most recently from Bribie Island QLD[:)] (Brisbane). God, how I miss that place![|)] Been working for the English Factory (i.e. NOVA) for all of that time with my wife. The double income really helps to build up the savings even though it is pretty expensive to live here. We are currently waiting for a rejection or acceptance on a couple of offers we made earlier in the week. Finally, after years of study and research, we are in the game[^]. How about you?

Take it easy and keep your fire burnin’

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Some banks actually ask about HECS debt and take it ito consideration, because you will be paying less tax. But if you don’t tell them about it, there is no way they will ever know about it.

You used to get a discount if you paid lump sums off your HECS. I paid mine off this way, but it might be better to pay via the tax system. It could be better to use the money for deposits instead.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@imstillhungry

Hi again,

I’ve just been looking at the HECS deal on the net. You don’t actually incur any interest[:)]. It just creeps along with inflation. So, since that is the case, I wouldn’t worry too much about paying it off in a lump sum (any payment over $500 is still awarded a 15% reduction in the amount you are paying off…higher reductions if the amount is more significant). Do what Terry suggested and pay the loan through the tax system (see threshold chart below) when you have to and commit everything else to deposits for your financial freedom. I wish supplement loans worked the same way…damn the private college [:(!]!!

HECS repayment thresholds:

Below $24 365 nil
    $24 365 – $25 694 3.0%
    $25 695 – $27 688 3.5%
    $27 689 – $32 118 4.0%
    $32 119 – $38 763 4.5%
    $38 764 – $40 801 5.0%
    $40 802 – $43 858 5.5%
    $43 859 and above 6.0%

So have you considered investing in Oz from Japan?

@japanscott

Thanks for the replys Hungry and Terry. I am in a position to pay it off now, which would mean $13000 after the discount. I feel that paying through the tax system is better for me, as that money could be spent more productively.

Going along with inflation, not interest. Thanks for that. I thought that was the case, must be where I got the 3% figure from.

Still doing my research and learning the best ways to approach for my situation. Will be heading back to Aus in April next year too. Been working for ECC over here for the past 2.5 years. It`s been ok. Would like to start investing as soon as possible, did you organise your deals from Japan?

Scott

@imstillhungry

Hi Scott,

I have done everything unseen from JP (solicitor, agent inquiries, valuations etc.)so far using the internet resources (ADSL is beautiful!!!)and the good old Brastel phone cards. I am due to call a builder today to organise an inspection. I’ll use the online yellow pages[:)].

I was a little wary at first, but as long as the offers are conditional, the numbers work and you’ve done some due diligence of your own you shouldn’t bump into too much trouble(though personal inspection is more comfortable[:O]. A lot of people on this forum do the same. The forum itself is often a great resource too, hey!

What are your goals for the moment with regard to your investment choices and criteria?

PS: We might end up on the same plane!

Profile photo of HueyHuey
    Participant
    @huey

I think you should pay in a lumpsum near then end of a financial year to get the most out of 15% discount. Can you borrow from your parents?

I currently pay HECS for my daughter. It’s good to give our children a good start. I didn’t pay HECS for my son because I paid all other expenses for 7 years when he studied away from home. I couldn’t afford more than that at that time but I lent him the money to pay it off later. My daughter plans to work overseas after graduation. I don’t know how easy to find a job in Japan or England.

Cheers

Huey

@imstillhungry

Huey,
    If she wants to teach English in Japan…too easy[:P]

Regards,

@japanscott

Hey Hungry,

Very impressed that you did it all from Japan. I am not ready personally to purchase yet, I am still developing my plan, researching etc. A lot of things to think about…but exciting also.

I have pretty much decided on a level I would like to keep my HECS debt at, so once I acheive that, I will slowly pay it through the tax system, and use most of my money for investment.

I was also very keen to purchase my own home when I went back to Australia, but feel I may rent for awhile at least, until I settle into a job, etc in Aus.

Huey, if your daughter wants to work in Japan teaching English, she would have no trouble getting a job. The school year over here starts in April, so the best time to come over is in March, but it is a lot easier if you get the job in Australia first, get all the working visa, accomodation etc lined up. It is expensive to set up over here, but once you are working and have the budget sorted, it is pretty easy to save money. If you want any info let me know.

Scott

Profile photo of dl_gleesondl_gleeson
    @dl_gleeson

Huey, I am also here in Japan but am an undergraduate student who is just working part time. The others are right about it being very easy to get an english job in Japan and the best way being to do it from oz. Try typing Japan in the search on careerone.com or seek.com and you’ll find that three quarters of the jobs there are english teaching and are very easy to get. In my area at least(Kobe), alot of the aussies come over with Nova with a visa and accomodation organised and after a while(few weeks or months) look for some other teaching jobs. It is very easy to pick up private teaching jobs in the evenings, which is what I do after my uni classes, and most in Kobe that I know of end up quitting Nova and going private or to other english schools which are everywhere and finding their own accomodation as I have heard from friends that Nova charges a fair bit more than fair market value in this area for rent. Comparing Japan to England, if her goal is to earn cash than I cant recommend Japan enough. I have two cousins who are 20,21 years old and in London they are working in bars and clubs. The pay there is nothing like teaching here in Japan. A good indication of this is the fact that they said they would never go to Japan for a holiday as they couldnt afford it but i was able to spend all of August in Europe with 3 weeks in England visiting them(ps the european heat wave would not have been a heat wave if the locals had actually heard of airconditioning!!!). So if her main aim is to earn money i have to say Japan is the best option but I imagine that she would have many other ideas to take into account as well. But living here would be an unforgettable experience that I highly recommend.

Profile photo of NmlewisNmlewis
    @nmlewis

Hi

I still have a horrible HECS debt but the banks/lenders have never even considered it when looking at lending for investment properties

Cheers
    Natalie

Participant
    @huey

Thanks Hungry & David for the info. [:)] Huey

Profile photo of TeacherK6TeacherK6
    @teacherk6

Hey there Scott,

Just to add my 2 cents, I hav applied for more loans then i care to remember, and hav never been asked about HECS once (although at the time i thought it very odd that they didnt, seeing that it can take quite a large chunk out of your pay…

On when to pay hecs if u do decide to?, i just paid mine off last FY. i was shocked to find out that even though you make repayments through your pay, it only gets reduced when you do your tax, as i had the same figure oweing at the end of the year as i had at the beginning, even thought i would hav thought at least $2000 was removed from the debt throughout the year… so i would be paying it just after you do your tax this year, therefore you hav the up to date figure on whats oweing, and you dont lose money through your pay…

Dont forget to then change your tax Hecs status with your work !

Jason…

@japanscott

Thanks Jason.

As I am working in Japan, I don`t actually pay anything off my HECS at the moment. It just keeps getting bigger. Nice to hear that no one seems to care about the HECS debt, as it is the only debt I have.

Scott

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Us Aussies keep on popping up everywhere here in Japan. Hungry I’ve bought properties in Oz whilst here in Japan, but still go back to do my own final inspection before signing on the dotted line. I’m trying to get another now but getting a few headaches from the mobile banker. Huey if your daughter drops me her CV I will see what I can do from this end for her. It’s easy to find work with companies like Nova and Geos but as someone else has previously mention they are FACTORIES, and you can get the raw end of the deal from them. [email protected]

C2

Profile photo of daydreamerdaydreamer
    @daydreamer

My bank manager asked to see my most recent payslip. He immediately spotted the HECS deduction printed on it as ‘extra tax.’ He wanted to know how much it was and i said (honestly i thought) ‘about $10,000. He asked to see my last tax return as this lists the amount of HECS owing.
    When I saw the true amount was $14,000 I told him i couldn’t find it so he accepted the figure of $10,000. This debt was definetly part of the banks calculations.
    Of course if you work overseas, HECS will not appear on your payslip.
    [:)]

Participant
    @huey

Thanks C2, My daughter won’t finish her degree until the end of next year. I hope when she is there I can go to visit Japan. It’s a bit scared & expensive to go there by myself.

Regards

Huey

Profile photo of NATS12NATS12
    @nats12

when i applied for a loan i asked the lender if they needed the details of my HECS payment because I pay about $60 a week through my wages and he said that they didn’t need that info because as far as they were concerned i’ve had that debt since working full time and I’ve still been able to show a history of savings and building up a deposit.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘HECS Debt’ is closed to new replies.