All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Lateral thought

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of xyzzyxyzzy
    Participant
    @xyzzy

buy an ex Olympic 4 bedroom dwelling say $ 50k

Plonk it on a block of land in rural town land cost 4k

Site costs etc 10k

Four bedroom house rent $ 130 pw looks quite plausable.

What are the traps. Where is my logic flawed?

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

>>What are the traps. Where is my logic flawed?<<

Well the idea is a good idea but your costs are not correct.

1. It will cost a lot more than $ 4K to transport a dwelling. Perhaps $ 20 K to $ 30 K ?

2. Not every dwelling is suitable to be transported. Brick dwellings certainly are not nor for that matter are very large dwellings.

3. Many people have experienced BIG problems with
    housemovers who either didn’t know what they were doing or are just ripper offers who may move the house a little distance and thence dump it and don’t take it further.

Also the dwelling can fall apart or be damaged in other ways and the risk is yours.

Best to find a dwelling near your vacant block of land as there is less chance of something happening and the moving costs will also be less.

Don’t buy a house until the housemover has checked whther the house can be moved along the road to your vacant block of land.

4. You need council approval to move a building onto a block.

5. Be sure to only look for a modern building. A good way to judge is to look at the windows. if it is a timber window it is likely quite an old building and it may be better to look for a dwelling not older than say 10 to 20 years.

Yes I know that you are talking about an Ex Olympic dwelling.
    Are they actually for sale or is that just a thought ?

I would expect (though I don’t know) that these dwllings would be sold off together with the block of land.
    Expect to may say $ 5 K to $ 10 K. Something for say $ 2 K (or even for no payment) is likely to be too old for you.

Dwellings can be bought from the Department of Main Roads who may have finished up with the property because they are going to put a road through the land OR you may be able to buy a house from someone who wants to build a better house on the block.

6. You site costs are very much out of kilter with reality. As a very rough guess expect to pay
    say $ 30 K or even a lot more. Remember, the bricklayer needs to lay the foundations, the painter will need to come in, an electrician is needed as is a plumber to hook up the sewer and connect the water.
    You may have to bring electricity to the block,
    lay a driveway, a carpenter is needed to repair any previous damage or damage occuring during the house moving. You may also have to do some landscaping.

In any event, I am a bit out of touch with prices
    so perhaps someone else may give you some more accurate prices and costs ?

A lot of headaches to move a house ?

Yes of course.

Is it rewarding ?

Yes it certainly can be, provided you pick the right kind of house.
    Also, older houses are usually a lot larger than the new houses which are being built nowadays so you may well finish up with a spacious 15 or 16 square house. Fantastic.

Would I be put off doing this type of work ?

No, provided you can find cheap suitable land and are prepared for the headaches which inevitably will occur.

Cheers,

Pisces133

Profile photo of RonulasRonulas
    @ronulas

My mum did exactly what you have described and she said the biggest killer is all the extra expenses. Council inspection fees, surveyors, electricians ect. Also because you buy a cheap block in a rural town somewhere tradesman charge you a fortune to do the work. Just something to think about.

You will always miss 100% of the shots you don’t take!

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I would suggest you get a quote to see what a local builder will charge to build something similar.

It might not be much more and you will have much less financial trouble, lower risk, better warranty and also probably a better home with better prospects for CG.

Something to think about.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Hunter
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of xyzzyxyzzy
    Participant
    @xyzzy

Thanks for the feedback!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Lateral thought’ is closed to new replies.