All Topics / The Treasure Chest / building inspections

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of endawinstonendawinston
    @endawinston

Hi all,
    I’ve got a couple of questions regarding building inspections.
    2 years ago I bought a property off-the-plan which is about to settle and have been notified that I can make a pre-settlement inspection.
    Should I have a building inspector/architect accompany me not only to check on quality but also ensure that dimensions of what’s been built correspond to what I bought?

On a different but related subject, when buying established properties isn’t it more useful to have a building inspection done prior to making offers. Faults/repairs can be used as a negotiating tool in getting a lower price. This would seem a better strategy than submitting an offer, withdrawing it after problems are discovered, and submitting a new lower offer.
    what do people out there think?

Profile photo of MilkmanMilkman
    @milkman

It wouldn’t hurt to have the “Off-the-plan” property inspected prior to settlement as long as there is a clause in the contract that if things were not built as planned you have some recourse. I don’t have any experience with these but if you cant afford the cost then the peace of mind might be worth it.

I would always aim to get a building inspection done before making an offer. You would really have to decide whether the repairs are worth it and whether it makes the property attractive at all! The price of $200(approx) is well worth it.

If the vendor or agent does not agree to an inspection or tries to talk you out of it then they may know something that you are about to find out.

Good luck.

Profile photo of aj_2aj_2
    Participant
    @aj_2

With all the trouble with inspections you see on tv would it be an idea for this forum to have a list of GOOD b/i’s that could be used by the forum
    aaron

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘building inspections’ is closed to new replies.