All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Bank Valuations

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of PeterMac_2PeterMac_2
    @petermac_2

I have been refused copies of the bank valuations on two properties that I paid $180 each for. The valuations that is!! Is this normal or should I insist on getting them?

Has anyone had similar problems. I would just like to have them to complete the portfolio records.

Profile photo of luckyoneluckyone
    @luckyone

Hi Peter,
    We have had the same trouble with both of the banks we have dealt with for home loans. They said to us that we were paying for the valuation to get done for them, not for us. You could try arguing the point, but frankly I don’t think you’re going to win.
    Luckyone

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Quite normal. Many banks even have you sign a disclaimer allowing them to keep the valuations private.

One problem lenders have is that when some clients are unhappy with a valuation they then call the valuers and give them a hard time or offer them incentives to increase the valuations.

As a broker I order valuations for banks for my clients and get to see them. Whilst I am happy to advise clients of the results it would compromise my relationship with the banks if I revealed the valuer to the client.

I hope this helps to explain the position we are in.

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Hunter
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of RitaSt.RitaSt.
    @ritast.

Hi Peter Mac,
    Just to tell you our scenario.
    First time dealt with a broker and the ANZ paid for the valuation, the broker gave us a “verbal” of the figure.

Second.. just recent through the bank( which bank) they paid for a valuation, which was very thorough. A few days later I asked the bank for the figure, and was told that that information is the property of the valuer and as such could not be revealed to me.

So I said ( very nicely [:I] that i intended to invest in quite a few properties, and would need to know my property value so that applying to their institution was a fruitful excercise.And also that I understood that information remained confidential to the bank and to the valuer. But that perhaps she could tell me what 80% figure was.
    And Bingo [:D] [:D]she gave me the 80% figure.

Keep the talk going, youmay be surprised what you eventually get!!!!!

Rita

Profile photo of --Brett--–Brett–
    Participant
    @–brett–

If you clear it with your bank, you can ask your bank/ broker which valuer/s they use and arrange the valuation yourself.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Rita

CBA are like that. They won’t tell you the figure, but will tell you what 80% is. Strange isn’t it!

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @terryw

Brett

Good idea, but not all banks will allow this.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of helenahelena
    @helena

I am very new to property investing and not even sure if I can afford it so this might seem like a stupid question, but if the banks won’t give you the details of the valuation, couldn’t you get a valuer that’s approved by the banks to value it before you approach the bank and that way you have all the details you need and the banks happy because they have a valuation from someone they trust?

Helena

Profile photo of katsu88katsu88
    @katsu88

Hi There ,

I’m with the St George Bank, did a valuation and was told verbally that the figure which X amount
    but did not get a copy.

Cheers

Profile photo of rangersixthrangersixth
    @rangersixth

ive been told that one of the major reasons banks dont allow the release of the valuation is that if clients were to rely on it and decide to sell their homes but recieve a cheaper price;

technically clients can sue the bank for the discrepancy.ive heard this has happened in the past.

hence, banks do not disclose this information to prevent it being replied upon.

plus the valuations that are done are “strictly” for mortgage purposes only which may lead to differences in valuations amounts as opposed to private/normal ones. im sure it wont vary much tho.

hmm time for bed. gotta rest up for the weekend

thanks all.

Participant
    @terryw

Helena

You would think so, but some banks insist on instructing the valuer directly, and won’t accept a report already done even if it is from the same valuer. There are difference sorts of valuations such as market valuation, bank valuation, and fire sale valuation (ie if you have to sell quick).

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

Profile photo of peter2480peter2480
    @peter2480

Hi Peter

Banks have traditionally not given out the valuation figure.
    I have found that after dealing with the same bank (CBA) for many years and with a history of responding to unhealpful behaviour by the bank (both verbal and by going elsewhere for funds etc) if you have a good working relationship with a particular person then a verbal valuation would be given ono the quiet. Trouble is the bank ‘reorganises’ their personnel so often it is difficult to maintain a relationship for more than 2 yrs.
    Peter

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi There

I have just had two valuations done with westpac, they called me two days later and gave me the valuation figures. Had a val done 2 months ago with CBA through a different valuer, their figures were a considerable amount higher, I am also in a high capitol gain area, Figure that one out.

Profile photo of brownwombatbrownwombat
    Participant
    @brownwombat

Hi there,
    I just a got a verbal valuation from Which Bank via the branch lending manager for our 2nd ip. He explained all things as to why it is under the current sale price and that the banks are very conservative with their figures and also told us that if you are putting more than 20% deposit down, he had no problem revealing the figure. The valuation we paid to the bank was $0, again because of the deposit being > 20%.I think your right Peter, some things depend on your working relationship.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bank Valuations’ is closed to new replies.