All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Some thoughts on country towns

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of ActTodayActToday
    Participant
    @acttoday

I have lived in a few country towns and would suggest that anyone considering purchasing a rental should speak with the local Police re the amount of problems with theft and wild parties[}:)]. I have observed many rentals being trashed by the local sports teams and in one particular town it has become a bit of a standing joke [:D]when yet another house that has sat vacant for ages finally is sold and a “new” rental becomes available for one of the town young.

Profile photo of ArtyArty
    Participant
    @arty

Judith,

Which town, if i can ask ?

[B)]

Regards,
    Arty.

[:)]
    “Why work to the age where you cant enjoy
    what you have worked for !.” (Author: Me)

Profile photo of Gianni1Gianni1
    @gianni1

You must have lived in some interesting places! Thankfully not all small towns are like this.
    Look for somewhere with a strong church going population and the risks are lower.
    I agree though, local knowledge is essential – some places tend to be rough but not all! I think part of the problem is the local agents get pretty casual but if you get one that is on the ball you won’t get that kind of tenant.

Participant
    @arty

Its a vicious circle… either the area is just developed and you find most of the new owners are young families just starting out… then the area is populated with teenagers 15years down the track.. then the kids move out.. the parents stay and the area becomes full of older people, while their kids are out creating a new family life in a newly developed area… etc….[:O]

Regards,
    Arty.

Profile photo of ActTodayActToday
    Participant
    @acttoday

I wouldn’t like to say which town but it was wheatbelt WA. There was a desperate shortage of rental properties for the young who wanted to live in town and not out on the family property or who had grown up in town but no longer wanted to live at home. It was not exclusive to this town and was fairly widespread over a couple of hundred kilometres to my knowledge. This particular town built one group of “young persons residences” as a joint venture with the government but then stuck exclusively to joint ventures for the elderly. We were the builders and did the six months maintenance!!!! Alcohol, need I say more.

Profile photo of suzieqsuzieq
    @suzieq

Interesting Judith…I also have lived in the wheatbelt WA area……would love to know which town your talking about….as I have purchased one and looking again at another in a different town. I now live in Perth but dad still lives in the country town that I have purchased in but I’m currently researching the other town that I am interested in – understand if you do not wish to disclose but any more info would be appreciated if possible…..see ya …sq

Participant
    @arty

Suzie Quatro!!

.. i still like your old song “I love rock and roll….put another coin in the jukebox baby..” *just humming to myself..* [:0)][:0)]

Regards,
    Arty.

Profile photo of ActTodayActToday
    Participant
    @acttoday

SuzieQ e.mail me at [email protected] and I will reply with the name of the town[:P]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Some thoughts on country towns’ is closed to new replies.