All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Our failures are not futile.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of loressloress
    @loress

I’ve read lots of questions about how to start investing and where? when? what? and how scary it all appears before you start.

What’s the secret answer? The best way to learn is through trial and error – and yes, mistakes.

What better way to help then, than to share some “stumbles”, I’m sure every realty devotee has had their share, so I’ll start:

When I was 19 I purchased my first piece of real estate [good] with my boyfriend [not good – we all know first loves last!] at Phillip Island, paid 18k [good], sold it three years later for 18k [not good]

Purchased a home in Brisbane [good] – wrong block [not good], wrong location [not good], and yep wrong suburb [oh boy], BUT did get it for a good price [good], kept it as an investment [good], negatively geared [not good], “fair” capital growth [good – well it’s not going backwards], just put the rent up [good] not enough to be positive [not good] should be positive within 12 months [good]…

Predicted (and discussed all the time) the boom in Venus Bay [good] did absolutely nothing about it [not good], blocks went from about 10k to about 65k+, houses from about 60k to about 170k in the last four years, even spoke to several people telling them to invest… [oh so not good]

Purchased a home in Melbourne [good], great suburb [good], great block [good] and in just 12 months fantastic capital growth [good – by george I think she’s got it], should of got two blocks! [oh well, nearly got it!]

So I am still way down the bottom of the investment ladder, with scraped shins and many little bumps and bruises, BUT now my goods mostly out way my not so goods and if I can keep on the side of good – I think I might just make it.

Jen
    “to learn and not share is to not have learned at all” :me

Profile photo of Stuart WemyssStuart Wemyss
    @stuart-wemyss

Hi Jen

Great post. Gives us all some perspective. You don’t have to get it right the first time to be successful.

Thanks

Cheers

Stu

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Our failures are not futile.’ is closed to new replies.