All Topics / The Treasure Chest / House Boat Good Deal ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of Most excellentMost excellent
    @most-excellent

Hiya all,

Thinking of buying a house boat:
    Price 55K
    Upgrade 15K
    All Fees 10K

Returns are $700pw @ 30 weeks of year, can anybody tell me of other costs ( legal, even docking costs etc.. )?

Michael
    just be

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

I don’t know about the legals or anything like that or even the costs, all I am going to tell you is that houseboats are the next best thing here in UK.

There are droves of people gettinginto it and are paying exorbitant amounts of money for a floating home. The docking costs would be a fair bit I would think, plus think of the type of insurance you would have to get.

Who in their right mind would pay $300 p/w to live on a bloody boat???!!! Oh at that, would the clients live there or would it be a holiday thingy? If it is a holiday thingy, I think you wold have to get some sort of indemnity cover as well… I am sure a lawyer would correct me there…

So, ,my two cents. they are right for some people, bad for others. All I can say, BIG here in UK.
    Steph.

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

richard branson runs his empire from one so they cant be too bad.

here invictoria with the surging property prices along the murray river and thepush to improve the river – i reckon house boats are a good thing.

you cldnt sell them 2 years ago but now theyve become trendy

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Michael,

Don’t confuse this with property investing.

What is for sale here is a business based on a depreciating asset.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Hunter
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Most excellentMost excellent
    @most-excellent

Thank you guys,

Good input & Simon good reality check , thanks !

Michael
    ” just be”

Profile photo of ArtyArty
    Participant
    @arty

..At least you wont have problems with car bodies being dumped in front of the house.. or pets ? .. or land rates … and if you dont like the location, you just sail on to the next available spot…. haha [:)][:0)]

Regards,
    Arty.

[:)]
    “Why work to the age where you cant enjoy
    what you have worked for !.” (Author: Me)

Profile photo of junior2junior2
    @junior2

Hey michael,

I’m from echuca/moama where there are about 7 house boat leasing companys and a large number of private houseboats. The boats are good but the thingsd that really kill you are mooring fees. Cant tell you how much they are but in the area i’ve heard figures in excess of $100/w

I’d still love one myself though…….

jared

Profile photo of battz71battz71
    Participant
    @battz71

My Father-in-law bought one about 1 yr ago. Has only had it rented/hired during the holiday periods and has cost him over $20k in repairs & improvements in just one year.

In saying that I sat down and did the sums with him, and if he had bought right (ie No repair costs) and he ACTIVELY marketed the houseboat to maximise the letting, then yes, it would produce a good return.

Would I buy one….not a chance…

Profile photo of battz71battz71
    Participant
    @battz71

My Father-in-law bought one about 1 yr ago. Has only had it rented/hired during the holiday periods and has cost him over $20k in repairs & improvements in just one year.

In saying that I sat down and did the sums with him, and if he had bought right (ie No repair costs) and he ACTIVELY marketed the houseboat to maximise the letting, then yes, it would produce a good return.

Would I buy one….not a chance…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘House Boat Good Deal ?’ is closed to new replies.