All Topics / The Treasure Chest / What does Vacancy rate really mean?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Perry
    Participant
    @perry

Hi to all~!

I know i’m gonna sound silly asking this but I’m just a newbie starting out.

What does vacancy rate mean? I mean when they say a vacancy rate in the city is 7%, i know that’s its not likely to be tenated often but what does it really mean?

Does it mean that 7% of the time the property is empty and 93% of the time its occupied? I’m really confused about vacancy rate. Please help~!

Thxs~!

Perry

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

It means that at any one time 7% of rental properties are vacant.

Yours may never be vacant or may be vacant for longer than 7% of the time.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Hunter
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of investroninvestron
    @investron

i use another vacancy rate of my own.

when i work out if i can afford a property or not, i work my rental income out on a vacancy rate of 4 weeks a year that it may be vacant, so that if you do have a short period vacant, you can still afford it.

it’s always safer, than assuming your property will be fully rented all year every year.

Perry
    Participant
    @perry

Thxs Hunter and Investron,

Your answers were really helpful and straight to the point. Thxs Investron, i now know how to take into account vacancy periods when doing my calculations.Thanks guys.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘What does Vacancy rate really mean?’ is closed to new replies.