Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi all,

I’m sure you all heard in the news this week about the push to cap the FHOG (to 5K) due to the recent ‘trend’ of FHO in buying around the more expensive areas. Sounds a little discrimenatory to me, what do you think? Suprisingly, the push to decrease stamp duty in VIC hasn’t been mentioned in a while.
    The other news, which I think should be an ‘eye opener’ to some of you who might purchase IP’s sight unseen, is the creative real estate technique of airbrushing properties to make them more appealing to home owners and investors.
    What are your thoughts on these enlightening pieces of news?

Cynical Me! [:P]

Cheers
    Sooshie [:)]

“small steps make the journey” (SAS)

Profile photo of RodCRodC
    @rodc

I seem to remember a similar “outcry” about this time last year about FHOG being used for million dollar properties. I think this must be when the latest figures are released.

Funny how the stamp duty hasn’t been really mentioned since the state election campaign, the politicians have no incentive to reduce it. They like the revenue too much.

That airbrushing thing is quite interesting, can’t say I’m surprised though. Sooshie, I think your cynicism is well justified.

Rod.

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi Rod,

I can’t say I was truly horrified at seeing the ‘airbrushed’ version of a property sans powerlines, meter boxes etc and then seeing the original in all its glory. If we can do it to models in a magazine and people buy them, then the realators are probably thinking why not do the same thing. It sells!!! It may not be completely ethical, but they could always argue that they are trying to help the buyer ‘visualize its potential'(regarding the property).
    One of the things I mention quite a lot is about doing due diligence. Buying site unseen CAN be quite hazardous to your investing game plan, if you end up with an ‘airbrushed’ property. Very costly. Of course this isn’t always the case.

Yes, it would be nice to pin someone down regarding the stamp duty debate.

Cheers

Profile photo of ArtyArty
    Participant
    @arty

sooshie, airbrushing makes it hard to do searches on the Web for properties.

I bought a block of land from the Web site unseen, but you cant really go wrong with land. The only differences was based on time, the photo showed nice lush green paddocks, but when we saw the land, it was all brown and dry.. due to the drought.

[:D]

Regards,
    Arty.

[:)]
    “Why work to the age where you cant enjoy
    what you have worked for !.” (Author: Me)

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi Arty,

Good point!
    There are always exceptions to the rule.

In buying land you would have differnt things to be aware of. Drought and floods are natures way of ‘airbrushing’ I guess.
    I reckon this summer is also going to be a scorcher, but we can pray for rain. Once again this is just my opinion and not fact.
    Still there are things you should be testing for before buying land. However, land is not my area of expertise, mores the pity.

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘News’ is closed to new replies.