All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Good investment??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of William1William1
    @william1

G’day everyone. Great site. A wealth of info!

Quick question – good deal?? New to game so any help would be appreciated.

Price $58k, tenants who are happy to stay on at $120 wk. 3 bedrooms + sleepout, close to shops etc. Only little info but does it look like good deal??

Thanks,

Bill

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi william

yes that deal is pretty good

But obviously it depends on the overall condition of the property, does it need restumping etc and a new roof. even if it needs work doesn’t mean its a bad deal as long as you have the capital to do it and it will add more value than what it costs.
    And finally it depends where the property is, it’s not a good deal if there are vacant houses all over town.
    another thought, check out- if the property was to become vacant what rental would you get. occasionally you find properties that are returning more than the market it wouldn’t be a good deal if the next rental was only 100pw.
    all the best
    westan

Profile photo of SlumLordSlumLord
    @slumlord

Sounds great, IF:

The town has a stable or growing popualtion.

Slum Lord

Profile photo of JamesSJamesS
    @jamess

Sounds like a good deal. A couple of comments in addition to what else has been said.
    One thing I have found is that you should be able to get a reasonable handle on vacancy rates from a variety of sources, which is pretty important for determining whether you will have a stable cash flow from the property.

It is also handy looking at the kind of people that live around where this property is. By way of example, a few of my places are in regional centres where there is a high transient population which should translate into a healthy rental market for you (people are content to rent rather than buy).

Best of luck.

Profile photo of Elysium-MElysium-M
    @elysium-m

Check the outgoings too – not just rates and land tax, but also insurance, property management fees, etc.

I once came across this $30k unit. Returned $100 per week. Looked like a dream investment.

The only problem was the exorbitantly high maintenance and insurance costs (built into the strata levies). After deducting expenses, it turned into a serious loss-making deal. Even if I coughed up 100% equity, I’d only make a 2.5-3% return.

Cheers
    M

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Good investment??’ is closed to new replies.