All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Another quote blowout…?!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of BlackJackBlackJack
    Participant
    @blackjack

My IP (small 2brm unit – Darwin) has just been re-rented. Having had the same tenant for 5 years I intended to do a make-over and so started gathering quotes for painting. I have so far received two in EXCESS of $3000!!![:O]

Am I wrong to be in shock?

I am wondering whether anyone else feels that because a house/unit is obviously a rental, quotes are often unreasonable.

Profile photo of aj_2aj_2
    Participant
    @aj_2

Try tendering or see if there is a TAFE course that needs work experience

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

You could do it yourself for a few hundred dollars.

In a few days too.

If you don’t live in Darwin then combine it with a tax effective break from work!

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Hunter
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Profile photo of HueyHuey
    Participant
    @huey

Hi JoC

I painted a 2 br unit recently. It took me 2 days, from 10 am to 2 am. I hardly could walk after that but I love it.

It costs a bit over $300 for paints & equipments. Top Dulux “Directions in white” colours. I chose Whisper White & Beige Royal. They comes out soooo nice.

Cheers

Huey

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

Yeah – do it yourself. Take a friend or get a local yokel or backpacker and pay them 15 per hour cash. Make sure you do a LOT of prep – hole filling and sanding, and undercoating those bits so it doesn’t shine through. Good prep is the key to a good result and paint that doesn’t come off again!!! BTW You definitely need an electric sander.!!!! If you haven’t done painting before do it with someone who has!!!!! Allow an extra couple of hundred for rollers and brushes if you don’t own any.

Enamel gloss is really easy to stuff up ( from personal experience!!!- (as in for cupboards and window sills, etc) you need it to dry for a loooooong time and then sand between coats. Good result but a bit of a pain. The second time we used water-based gloss which though not as hardwearing as enamel gloss is a lot more forgiving to apply as well as much easier to clean up. We also used satin on the doors instead of gloss which was much easier.

Using the same colour on ceilings and walls saves time and energy too, if you can handle matt white-kinda thing throughout…

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Just a few tips from a painting amateur.

Minimogul is spot on about preperation.

I might also add not to go cheap…buy good quality brushes and rollers. Cheap ones leave marks and the bloody bristles keep coming out in the paint. Whilst you can pick them out there is always one you don’t find until it’s dry [:)]

I would also recommend a more expensive paint such as Dulux 101 wash and wear I think it’s called. Goes on better than the cheaper stuff.

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Hunter
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Profile photo of BlackJackBlackJack
    Participant
    @blackjack

To all of the above… thank you.

Although I despise painting, doing it myself is the financially sensible thing to do.

Two minor details, however:

1. I live in Tasmania.
    2. I work on contract and am unable to take the time.

As new tenants have agreed to move in unaware that painting was my intention, I think I’ll delay the makeover until I can get up there myself (post wet season hopefully[^]). I understand the flight and a couple of nights accommodation is tax deductible. I’ll look into it (or make a later post!).

Thanks again for advice so far.

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

It’s a shame I live in Melbourne, I’ve painted a few houses and I love it!
    I would have done it for a basic day rate.

Maybe you have a friend or relative that’s thinking of a holiday. You could subsidise their trip and they could earn some cash painting for you!

Well, it’s worth a try,

Good luck

[:)][:)][:)]][:)]

Profile photo of Shirley_2Shirley_2
    @shirley_2

As a price comparison, we recently had a small 3-bedroom house in Townsville repainted internally for $2,500. The price included cleaning the outside of the house and also painting guttering and edging outside. Thought it was a fairly good price at the time and we’re happy with the quality of the work. Suggest you get a few quotes/options.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Another quote blowout…?!’ is closed to new replies.