All Topics / The Treasure Chest / How can you buy so many properties so quickly?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of JulieDianaJulieDiana
    @juliediana

Hi everyone,
    Im new on this site, only discovered it a couple of days ago, it looks great though! I’ve just started to read Steve’s book (well done, very easy to read and follow so far). I am amazed at the fact that you can buy a property every 5-8 days. How can you do that without running out of money??? [?] If I flick to the end will I find the answer!!

Also, I’ve reached the plateau that you speak of in your book – all cashed out due to negative gearing. Raring to continue but no idea how I can. Another question for you – do any of you use money partners? If so, how did you find them? I’m thinking of running an ad for someone to put up the cash while I do the work finding the property, renovating and then selling, splitting the profits 50/50, purely for cash flow. I’d be very interested in hearing your thoughts.
    Thanks,

Profile photo of TeacherK6TeacherK6
    @teacherk6

Hey there Julie :)

I just found this site a few days ago, and must admit havn’t read the book.. but buying places starts off slow, and the more you get the more you can get…

I bought my first place at 20, then another at 21, then another 3 months after that, then another 6 months after that, then another about every 6 months after that… im onto my 6th now and hav just turned 24…

first of all people obviously dont buy places outright when starting off or do so vary rarely, they get them under mortgage so they hav control of the property. buy places that firstly pay for themselves, then save the extra and keep on saving all you can… for the first few years an over seas trip or a new car is a very bad idea… all these things will come with patience when you can more afford them.. (and when you can afford not to work)

Hopefully the places you buy increase in value, you then use the equity to buy another place, and it goes on and on…

soon you will hav a small portfolio of real estate, you will also be in a great deal of debt, but as long as its well spread out, and your not letting the money go to your head you will eventually have many places at your disposal. if things go bad you sell one, or 2 lol…

a secure, full time job helps with getting the loan(s), as well as minimal debts and expenses..

just remember, if u put your mind to it you can achieve anything!

Jason…

Profile photo of rangersixthrangersixth
    @rangersixth

Wow teacherk6,

Im just gobsmacked at how quickly and young you acquired your properties!

Well done!

Im 23 and quietly saving for a deposit and researching on locations. Hopefully, once i start i can acquire them at your rate.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If you can keep comming up with 20% deposits, then you can keep on buying property. There are many ways to get the deposit such as wraps, option fees, wages, capital growth, saving positve rental income, money partners etc.

Watch out for ASIC regulations if you are going to advertise for investors too!

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of TeacherK6TeacherK6
    @teacherk6

Hey there Ranger :)

Thanx for the kind words, some more advice, buy at the lower end of the market (if not the lowest) and then when all the cheapies are gone you hav increased the value of your place to around the next cheapest place available… (depending on the properties compared of course)

Dont EVER take no for an answer!!! i sometimes had to apply for loans at 2 places at the same time caus 1 would say that it may not get approved… I hav only just started using this site, and wish i knew about it many years earlier lol… the wealth of information is amazing :)

All the best!

Jason :)

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

Hi teacher,
    wow, yeah, great to hear your stories!

” buy at the lower end of the market (if not the lowest) and then when all the cheapies are gone you hav increased the value of your place to around the next cheapest place available… “

if that is true i’m gonna be a happy camper, having just bought 3 this year at what I call the ‘bottom of the bottom of the market’ and done up two

hehe

cheers-
    Mini

http://www.vocalbureau.com

Profile photo of Most excellentMost excellent
    @most-excellent

Hiya Julie,

My partner works & earns enough for living expenses for whole of family, my income of both day job & IP’s ( +cashflow ) is saved for deposits in an offsetting account. We purchase with 20% dep at the moment every 6 months, we feel in time that we may if we choose to go in that direction , purchase IP’s monthly using this type of strategy.

Do the maths, be the vision. [;)]

Do what you can with what you have where you are. (Teddy Roosevelt)

Michael
    just be

Profile photo of PropertyHeadPropertyHead
    @propertyhead

Good work Teacher. I’m not far behind you. I recently did something different and decided to sell a unit in Sydney just because we had spent the time to renovate it. It was in a prime area because of the hospital, train station, university and sat out on the urban fringes of Parramatta. We sold that to raise more funds and actually got into a dilemma of what to do – buy property or use it to fund a lifestyle. We funded a lifestyle and got a new car which replaced a badly worn almost broken car.

Profile photo of bruhambruham
    Participant
    @bruham

Minimogul,
    Haven’t you leant your lesson yet? You bought crap
    houses and the pain has caused you to pour your poor little heart out to everyone on this forum.
    How much pain are going to put up with before you wake up and sell these bits of rubbish(you call investment properties)and really invest in quality
    property?
    As some little girl on this website said,all her money is being poured into paying for repairs.
    KEEP AWAY FROM THE BOTTOM END OF THE MARKET!
    Go for the middle.
    I forgot to say G’day Mimi, hope the rest of your life going BLOODY terrific!!!!

Bruce G.
    [:O][:P][:P][:P][:P][:D][:D]

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

Hi BB
    my old nemesis

how’s your taxi driving going??/
    you know what they say about never taking investing advice from taxi drivers?

>Haven’t you leant your lesson yet?

I will never stop learning lessons (i hope!) I have sooo much so far.

>You bought crap

Hmmmmmm – define crap? (I am assuming that in the sentence above you were using the word ‘crap’ metaphorically?)

Every house I bought was structurally sound, as verified by a builder’s report – and two are working out great –

One of them (that didn’t need any renovations) is returning 20 percent after management costs, has been tenanted the whole time since I bought it bar one week in between tenants.

The other one which is almost finished being renovated (floors being sanded this week as we speak) will have a tenant moving in next week who has literally been hassling the letting agent every few days to find out when it’s ready – that one will also return 20 percent clear based on purchase price PLUS renovation price. It also happens to be in an area which is going up in capital gain (who knew?!!!)

The third one I bought for 16K with a sitting tenant (long term, documents) paying 90 per week. That was a 29 percent return, but she moved out. Bummer. So we renovated. So far no new tenant though, so am deciding whether to drop rent to previous level of 90 per week (then only an 18 percent return factoring in renovation costs) or put house on the market as is in pristine condition.

Because 18 percent still not too bad result and as I was planning to buy and hold and renovated accordingly I think I will perservere a little longer before making my decision.

So learning, yes – but so far so good, 2 out of three anyway

>crap houses and the pain has caused you to pour your poor >little heart out to everyone on this forum

What I discuss on this forum is numbers, deals, opinions, but i wouldn’t call it ‘pouring my heart out’ feelings type stuff.

dude -I won’t be offended if you don’t read my posts. Your choice. not pain so much as sharing problems that came up and what I did or was thinking about doing. I made the choice to buy three cosmetically challenged places rather than one middle market place because as you go up the price -range the rental yield goes down. Also for the chance to increase the value and rent.

>How much pain are going to put up with before you wake up >and sell these bits of rubbish (you call investment >properties)and really invest in quality
    >property?

Wow, you’re going hard on the metaphors tonight….
    I think that as long as they are tenanted and giving me the desired returns (I’m aiming for 20 percent) why would I sell them? I think 20 percent return from a newly renovated property with all physical problems fixed that attracts quality tenants would qualify as a ‘quality property’ as far as I’m
    concerned. These properties should continue to give me cashflow and go up in value too. The repairs and renovations i’ve done should last a good few years (brand new bathrooms, heating, flooring, etc) and as far as hot water cylinders going or roofs developing leaks, that can happen on medium properties just as much as cheaper ones. Besides they’re all fixed up now

>As some little girl on this website said,all her money is being >poured into paying for repairs.

Adjudicator’s note –

‘little girl’ usually means a girl under 12. That does not compute. So did you mean to be both patronising *and* sexist with that remark? *bzzzt* You lose points and credibility.

Back to the issue
    I certainly don’t spend ‘all my money’ on repairs, I decide after the builder’s report whether to purchase or not knowing what has to be done and pretty close to exactly how much that will cost, and count that as part of the purchase price when calculating my yield. I only invest money I consider to be ‘spare’
    anyway

I’ve already made back three times what i would have earned in a term deposit *at least* and that’s not even counting capital gains (haven’t had the properties valued yet but am going to soon) – and that’s even counting the vacant one. plus the ‘capital’ is appreciating not depreciating like a cash deposit does, (well the land portion anyway)

>KEEP AWAY FROM THE BOTTOM END OF THE MARKET!

look if you wouldn’t mind yelling that a bit louder, I’d appreciate it- you might draw a crowd. It would be delightful for me to know that you wouldn’t be vying for the same properties as I am.

>Go for the middle.
    *punches BB in the guts*

OK but you did ask for it….

>I forgot to say G’day Mimi,

*looks around wondering who he means and then realises he probably was trying to write “Mini” and just made a typo cause n is next to m – *

*crosses mind that BB was having an ‘I deliberately spelt your name wrong to show you i soooo don’t care’ -type moment*

>hope the rest of your life going BLOODY terrific!!!!
    yeah it is thanks!!
    health, wealth, and happiness to you and all who sail in you

cheers-

Patrick

PS
    I was on the debating team at school

Profile photo of bensonbenson
    Participant
    @benson

Nice comeback mini !!!

[:D][:D][:D]

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Yeah you tell him Mini!!! Kick his Ar*e!!! Cremin and I are hopefully gonna go the same way as you and look to the scum suckers at the bottom of the pond as long as they are structurally sound and will make money!! A bit of hard work never killed anyone.

Mini, you have been an inspiration for many of us on the forum and I don’t even consider holding BB’s comments in my mind. Your stories and anecdotes helps us learn through you and I personally value that. So please don’t stop telling us your stories coz it would be a loss.

Cheers
    Steph.

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

well done mini – handled with class

think it was the usual weekly shit stirring tirade
    from bruce

Profile photo of bruhambruham
    Participant
    @bruham

G’day Mini,
    Wow what a come back!!! Yes it was a “typo” If I had deliberately spelt Mini incorrectly I knew you would paste me all over the place!!
    Heated flooring for your tenants!!!! Hell I don’t have heated floors in my place!! I must be poor!
    Twenty percent return

SHIT, I’m selling all mine and coming over to learn from you.Can you squeeze someone else into that fun bed of yours?
    I don’t take up much room,and I might learn even more!!! Lots more.
    The little girl thing was in reference to a poster
    who’s properties need a lot of work on them. Can’t remember which post it was.Very sad situation for her.
    Mini, you have a lot of friends on this website, I can’t imgine what would happen if I really threw crap at you. I seem to have away of getting up peoples noses.Good fun!!
    I bought a second taxi plate and I’m managing the bloody thing. I promised myself that I would only lease it out, but I can’t stop thinking about the money. Love the stuff. I’m so busy that I only come on the forum once a week or fortnight.
    See you in the spring(as they say)

Bruce G.

P.S. Minimogul why don’t you put that post of yours to music and sell it to some country bumkin singer so they can annoy the hell out of me on radio stations when I’m on the road? (sounds like a song).

Profile photo of finona21finona21
    @finona21

Very Nice response Mini!!! I’m very impressed and agree 100% with what you have done!! Keep on keeping on![8D]

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Mini,

After reading your replied I feel like going out there and buy the next IPs.

Good one Mini

Kind regards

Chandara
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

Profile photo of Lawry73Lawry73
    @lawry73

BB,

Get a life and keep driving your taxi. [:(!]

There’s no one perfect road to investing. If one makes mistakes, learn from it. You aren’t being encouraging and spat rubbish all over this forum.

Administrator: If BB does kick up that mood of his, I reckon you should just ban him for his conduct.

Happy investing. [^]

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Hi all,

Mini – great comeback, but I think bruce is a troll… give him attention, and he will keep coming back, although it would be superhuman of you to ignore him at times…

Cheers
    r

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How can you buy so many properties so quickly?’ is closed to new replies.