All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Calling windows XP users

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of ez-rentez-rent
    @ez-rent

I have had 5 users now (of 2500+) mail me with the same problem when installing EZ-Rent. That is, it complains that some system files are out of date and you have to reboot. Then on reboot, you try to install and again it complains of the same thing.

The common theme is that it is all windows XP PC’s.

After doing some research I think I know what the problem is. I keep my PC always up to date with the latest security patches and so when I compile EZ-Rent it bundles up some of these updated files into the installer.

But Windows XP has a feature that restricts the replacement of system files and even though the file I am trying to install is newer and perfectly valid, the system refuses to update the older file with it.

Thats the theory anyway. Now I have to prove it and I’m looking for a volunteer ot two.

I was hoping to find a few users running a base version of Windows XP without any patches or service packs. Install EZ-Rent and see if it works.

If you see the fault, then install all the latest security and system updates from http://www.windowsupdate.com and then try the install again..

If you are running this setup and are willing to try this, please drop me an email at [email protected] and I can give you further information..

thanks

EZ-Rent. The free tax and cashflow simulator for Australian property investors.
    http://www.ez-rent.com

Profile photo of Elysium-MElysium-M
    @elysium-m

Hey EZ

I use XP, but haven’t had any problems installing or using your program. That said, I’d already installed some updates before I did so.

anyway, just wanted to say thanks for your program – it’s great! Very useful and easy to use. It makes my life so much easier when evaluating property deals.

Cheers
    M

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

I also use XP and have your program. To date I have not experienced any problems, maybe it is because I’m using the Professional Edition and maybe others are using the Home Edition. Otherwise it would simply just be a matter of everyone downloading the latest Windows Update Service pack then there should be no problems. Good luck and Thanks for the software, Great Stuff!

quote:

Hey EZ

I use XP, but haven’t had any problems installing or using your program. That said, I’d already installed some updates before I did so.

anyway, just wanted to say thanks for your program – it’s great! Very useful and easy to use. It makes my life so much easier when evaluating property deals.

Cheers
    M

Profile photo of FesterFester
    @fester

I have installed Ezrent on my laptop and my desktop (both XP Pro). The desktop has SP1 and all security updates, no probs. The laptop will not accept SP1 (get error “AssocIsDangerous”, and continually loops from boot to shutdown!!). It has all security updates and Ezrent installed without a hitch.

Profile photo of JapanScottJapanScott
    @japanscott

Hey EZ

I am running XP. I installed your program, says successfully, but when I run the program I get a `runtime error `13` , type mismatch. Any ideas?
    I am running XP home – Japanese version.

Scott

Profile photo of nugennugen
    @nugen

Ez-rent

Below is a link to disable system file protection. Generally it is a good thing to have, but annoying. There are also other settings you can specify.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;222473
    I don’t have the program but have made this change before. Be careful though.

Nu Gen

Profile photo of ez-rentez-rent
    @ez-rent

Hi JapanScott

I have utterly no idea how EZ-Rent will work on a Japanese version of WinXP. That error you are getting is a runtime error, meaning that its something I haven’t checked for..

Bad news is that I really need to reproduce the error to trap for it.. I don’t have an XP Japanese edition lying around :-)

[email protected]

EZ-Rent. The free tax and cashflow simulator for Australian property investors.
    http://www.ez-rent.com

Profile photo of AndrewsalAndrewsal
    Participant
    @andrewsal

Hi ez-rent,

I have win xp, and constantly get updates.

ez-rent works great with no probs.

Thanks for the great program.

Andrew[8D]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Calling windows XP users’ is closed to new replies.