All Topics / The Treasure Chest / What’s your motivation?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Profile photo of CreminCremin
    Participant
    @cremin

[8D]Hi everyone! Just thought I would start a string about why people want to be financially free.

Cremin and I are wanting to be financially free so we can spend quality time with our children when they come along. We want to be able to travel when we feel the urge and not have to worry about working if we chose not to.

What I mean by quality time, is being there to see our children walk, talk, first day of school. Enjoy what so many people don’t get a chance to. We have really felt that since we moved here to London as there are so many families chained to their desk coz they feel they have to.

We chose not to and that sets us apart from the next Joe Bloggs. That is our motivation to being financially free.

Maybe yours is different, maybe it is similar. Let us know.
    Cheers
    Steph and Cremin.

Work smarter, not harder!.

Profile photo of CreminCremin
    Participant
    @cremin

Awww, no one wants to write anything…[:(][:(!]!

Profile photo of RodCRodC
    @rodc

Hi,

My motivation is similar to yours, I just want to be in the situation where I can choose how to spend my time without having to work 5 days a week to feed myself and the family.

Rod.

Profile photo of powderfingerspowderfingers
    @powderfingers

Hi Steph and Cremin
    We have the same motivations as you guys, what`s it like in London?
    My wife is a teacher and we are thinking about going to England next year. She is applying for positions in the Cambridge area. What are the kids like there, she is sick of them here!

Cheers
    Clinton and Julie,Queensland

Participant
    @cremin

Awww, powderfingers…. Hmmm, you’ve asked a nasty question. Um, kids can be as good as Aus kids but also way worse. The class I had was brilliant with excellent parent involvement but there is so many single parents in this country that there is also the opposite effect where there is absolutely no support at all!

There is a big problem with the education system here and everyone is trying to blame everyone else for the problems. Your wife will find it quite boring to teach here as the curriculum is really prescriptive and dull. You get told what to teach, how to teach and when to teach. You don’t get to personalise it at all.

Personally, if I had a choice again, I would probably choose to move to Canada instead… Big cultural differences here too. We all speak the same language but it is a culture shock.

So life in London is not all great. Well for us anyway, we are trying to make the most of our time here.
    Cheers
    for your answer.
    steph.

Profile photo of PhillipePhillipe
    @phillipe

It looks like everyobody has a similar reason for chasing the same goal, being free do what we want when we want to do it. As for London, I have been here for 2 years and whilst it has been an experience I wouldn’t trade for any amount of money, if investing in property is your chosen career then I wouold say there is no better place to do it than down under. I am on my way home to make it happen, because London isn’t about opportunity the way Australia is..if other priorities are what is bringing you to london then come and you will never regret it. That’s just my advice of course..

Participant
    @cremin

HEy phillepe,
    when you heading home?
    We heading home Xmas day. Sick of London and all the crap that comes with it I am afraid…

Profile photo of NATS12NATS12
    @nats12

Although financial freedom is my goal so that I can go walking on the beach when I want to, see my partner more often and not be responsible to somebody else who has their own motivations in life, another reason I am here is because I love property. I find inspections exciting, finding that place that you actually think is worth your money being invested in is an achievement. And seeing the value of it grow feels successful. I enjoy reading the weekly for sale ads and surfing online to see what the latest is that is available.

Plus, I want to be able to give my kids (if I ever have them) a secure start in life and leave a lot behind for them one day too.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

quote:

Hi Steph and Cremin
    We have the same motivations as you guys, what`s it like in London?
    My wife is a teacher and we are thinking about going to England next year. She is applying for positions in the Cambridge area. What are the kids like there, she is sick of them here!

Cheers
    Clinton and Julie,Queensland

Clinton,

My wife was a teacher in Brisbane and that is a major reason why she is now studying medicine.

The highlight of her career was 2.5 years teaching in Penang Malaysia. The children were perfect, class size of about 16, tax at 9%, cost of living minimal and great opportunities to travel during all the holidays.

On one holiday we visited Hanoi in the north of Vietnam, a very pretty and friendly city. She visitied an international school there which seemed better…. pay at about $40K US, no tax, free rent and electricity, wonderful school and such a low cost of living that other teachers there reported saving 90% of salary. It seemed that many were extending contracts which is a great sign.

Drop me an email if I can help.

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Hunter
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Participant
    @cremin

Simon,
    sounds like you had some wonderful experiences of working overseas. I wish mine here in London had been better. But…high tax, high cost of living…need I go on? We are still here coz we are still earning at least $1200 a week savings…We were going to pull the plug a couple of months ago but decided to stick it out until xmas.

I would still recommend young people to go to UK for a year to experience it but… young married couples will be very easily disillusioned. Very nasty the Brits are to happily married young couples. [:(!]

That’s enough of me raving! I get annoyed everytime I think of how long I have been here!
    Going to bed.
    Good night.(It’s 12-40am here!)

Profile photo of olorinsledgeolorinsledge
    @olorinsledge

My motivations are as follows:

1. To provide for my family financially in such a way that finances are not a restraint in our lifes.

2. To be able to spend more quality time with my family.

3. To be able to assist my local church.

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi all

my motivation is the same as you guy’s

mainly so i am able to do whatever i want with my life rather than having to spend the most productive and crteative hours of each day working to survive. I should add that i love my job.
    Also the idea of having more, means being able to give more.
    one other thought is to set up my own family financially so that they are in the situation they too can spend there lives doing what is important to them without having to work to survive.
    westan

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

warren buffet reckons his primary motivation was so that he could avoid having to ‘answer to’ people that annoyed him.

in a round a bout way – its the same thing as taking control of your destiny – as much as we can anyway….rather than being in the hands of others……….

Profile photo of JapanScottJapanScott
    @japanscott

The dream is to play golf everyday…

Well, that is part of it anyway.

Scott

Profile photo of Pebbles_2Pebbles_2
    @pebbles_2

Steph & Cremin,
    I too would like to be financially free so I can spend more time with my children. My kids always ask if I can stay at school with them in the morning and do the readers or go to concerts during the day etc and most times I can’t. I would love to participate in their school activities.
    I have been at my current job for 6 years now and I am finding it boring. I am learning everything I can about property investing whilst I am at work and also of an evening at home. I can’t wait for the day when I don’t have to work for someone else any more. I would also like to spend more time exercising.
    There are so many reasons why I would like to become financially fee.

Profile photo of dr housedr house
    Participant
    @dr-house

from personal experience its a slow process and has only started to happen to me this year.
    I’ve worked and stressed 15 years, going from 6 different job locations to only two.
    Made some very significant investment errors but one lucky break and we are now on the way.
    I work two full days, can take my son to and from the bus stop, help with his homework, do all my paperwork, start to look at shares again and mange my investments.
    missed the early days of coming to school and readingin class for him.
    He’s now 15 and I don’t think would be wrapped in that idea now.
    hope to just about retire in 3 to 4 years, in our 50’s, travel, go to the beach, some fishing.

Profile photo of MelanieMelanie
    @melanie

Ditto to above

My partner and I dream of making our mark with a life full of challenge and positive energy. Some of the usual sad things have happened along the way, just making us more determined to live life to the full every day in every way – and being dictated to by others just doesn’t fit that picture …. listening to and being involved with inspiring groups like this certainly does [^] !!!

[:)]
    Mel

Profile photo of brianhcbrianhc
    Participant
    @brianhc

To me financial freedom is simply about choices. You can choose what to do and when, go where you want, when you want. Drive the car you want (or bicycle!). Choose who to spend your time with etc.

What you do with those choices, whether you make wise choices, is up to you. But financial freedom gives you those choices, financial servitude does not.

Cheers[:P]

Participant
    @cremin

It really does inspire me to think that there are so many people here that think alike and want more out of like than the job (Just Over Broke) they work in.

I am so pleased that so many younger people are seeing the benefits of putting effort into their relationship with their children rather than just throwing money at them. It only takes a few for others to take it on. I am stoked that the next generation is in most peoples minds as well as their own as effectively, if we don’t consider then next generation, they will just put us all into nursing homes!!! AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!

ANyway, I am loving reading anything anyone has to say so keep it coming.
    Cheers
    Steph.

Profile photo of ArtyArty
    Participant
    @arty

Same as all the others…

– Free time to spend with the kids.
    – More time for myself
    – Time to relax on my farmlet.
    – Financially secure after retirement age
    – Be able to provide my kids with a house when they turn 21, as a gift to them.
    – Not having to get up everyday and do the same “job” each and everyday for someone else.

[:D][:D][:D]

Regards,
    Arty.

[:)]
    “Why work to the age where you cant enjoy
    what you have worked for !.” (Author: Me)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What’s your motivation?’ is closed to new replies.