All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Rich Dad Poor Dad

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of ez-rentez-rent
    @ez-rent

This post will probably raise a few hackles because many people have strong feelings on the topic. But I’m curious on something..

I have never read the book “Rich Dad Poor Dad” myself, as I came across the well known John T Reed site before I saw it in the bookstores.. kind of turned me off it..(please feel free to correct me)

http://www.johntreed.com/Kiyosaki.html

Now one thing that seems apparent is that most people (even the publishers of the book) acknoweledge that not everything in it is exactly true

So I now see the general defense of this book being that it “gets you thinking” and similar comments that seem to imply that its ok that some of it is fictional because in the end it teaches you what you need to know about investing..

This strikes me as an odd defense of the book? If I sold you a car, and told you that it was once owned by Elvis – and you found out later that it was actually an Elvis impersonator, would you defend the purchase because I got you thinking about cars?

[email protected]

EZ-Rent. The free tax and cashflow simulator for Australian property investors.
    http://www.ez-rent.com

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Hey EZ,
    I struggle to see the similarity between a used car and helping ignite someone’s mind to opportunities. The used car is only a vehicle that will take you from place to place in reality. RK has helped many people go much further than they ever dreamed possible and imagine many possibilities. I will freely admit that if not for his books I would probably still be settling for second best. The other truth is that I would not have known it was second best!!

As to the John T Reed thing…..we have been here before. Personally I don’t have much time for people who expound an immense amount of energy in defaming others. I believe that everybody will be judged by their own actions and choices and unless they are doing illegal activities (such as Henry K) then let them stand and be judged individually by the market.

As to RK not telling the whole truth……the same applies to him.

Rather than Navel gazing go out there and do things and not worry about other people’s opinions and credibility.

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]
    (Andrew)

It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end.

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

ez rent

this topic was done a number of weeks ago i suggest you look up the seach and read what others and i said on the topic.
    at the risk of starting it all again. let me use your analogy but a closer arguement would be,
    if someone recommended a car to you. you went out and bought it and the car was fantastic but then you discovered that the guy who recommneded it never really owned one at all. But he still knew all about the model.
    anyway read the book then come back and make some comments.
    regards westan

Profile photo of PropertyGuruPropertyGuru
    Participant
    @propertyguru

Hi ez-rent,
    Here is the topic which was hot for a while before

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2522

Cheers

Amit

I like your software! [:)]

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

yeh we have done this topic

my main feeling is that whenever anyone makes a great burst of energy to slag a competitor it’s usually because they have an agenda of their own- In Treed’s case he ‘s trying to be a famous educator too….and none of us have ever heard of him, apart from that he disses Kiyosaki – so in a way he’s leveraging off kiyosaki to get famous himself – hmmmmm….

has he contributed anything useful himself?

there are many possible explanations as to why RK doesn’t, hasn’t or can’t reveal the identity of Rich Dad – apart from the one Treed is suggesting.

later-
    Mini

http://www.vocalbureau.com

Profile photo of apolloniaapollonia
    Participant
    @apollonia

Hi! I note your email address and wonder if you are in property or finance. I am in neither and I can say that RDPD was an amazing mind opener for me in terms of thinking about my financial future and how I was going to live my life. It didn’t just say, “budget, save, accumulate things”, it really was a paradigm shift. I would never have thought about money in that way were it not for him. I also think that his books are vague and scant on practical detail and I see they have thier limitations and beyond the first one, there isn’t much more he says and I spent hundreds on further products which I don’t think helped me. John Reid’s article helped me, too.

I mean, the value of the book isn’t whether there was a rich dad or not but whether what he allegedly says has any merit. In my opinion, it does.

Profile photo of ez-rentez-rent
    @ez-rent

Hi Apollonia.

No I am not in property or finance as a career. I have personal financial interests in property, shares and the like, but thats as far as it goes. I’m an IT geek like many who read this forum.

So my interest in you and your investment decisions from a moneymaking perspective is nil. I think that few online resources can say this..

[email protected]

Profile photo of Vat8mmVat8mm
    @vat8mm

[:)]

I just wanna say that all going back to ourself what we looking for after we read the book
    and people can comment anything from reading a book its a different sight of view.

Profile photo of caddy222caddy222
    Participant
    @caddy222

Hi Ezy, I am due to retire in a couple of years……earlier than most. RK,s books and single night yearly mini-seminars which I have attended over the last couple of years have allowed me to not only plan and set myself up for an early retirement they have also shown me a way that I can maintain an income when I retire.

Prior to learning of the man I was facing a retirement in 10 years time with an annual income of approximately $20,000 per year tops….not even enough to keep me in coffee. Now I am on track for retirement in 2 years with a projected income far exceeding $20,000 per year.

I have now read most of his books including Prophecy which he co-authors with Sharon Lechter. Personally I do not give a hoot if he was exaggerating, fibbing, inventing or whatever, the principles of his teaching are true, reliable proven and now recognised by some universities I believe…..honorary doctorate etcs

As an academic I appreciate what you are saying….all publications should be supported. RK may have many reasons for not quoting his sources…..I appreciate and respect this.

Buy the book. I advise that you read it more than once as I think it will take you a while to really listen to what he is saying. Then read Prophecy and have a good look at your superannuation conditions.

Caddy

Profile photo of apolloniaapollonia
    Participant
    @apollonia

Sorry, EZ, the reason I wondered if you were in property or investing was because financially literate people sometimes don’t realise how little the rest of us know! I, being so ignorant in either subject, needed a book like RDPD to shake me up and make me think and learn. THose who know these fields well poo-poo his books probably with good reason but it’s amazing how little the average person knows about money and how his books have goaded so many into thining! That was all I meant.

Profile photo of slatzagainslatzagain
    @slatzagain

I’ve read the books. I saw him speak, and I met him briefly afterwards. His positive cashflow concepts are great IMO.

cheers,
    Darren.

Profile photo of kaydeekaydee
    @kaydee

Hi all,

Having read all the posts on this subject and the website quoted and all the RK books except Prophecy, I feel compelled to make a simple comment.

Why is it that those people who like to defame and critic others are usually those who are operating under the tall poppy syndrome? Further more RK’s books provide a small snippet of information regarding investment strategies and the like, anyone who rushes out and invests in anything purely on the strength of that information is headed for financial ruin because they have not exercised wisdom, knowledge or tried and tested practices of due dillegence.

Kaydee[8)]

Profile photo of comdomcomdom
    Participant
    @comdom

He is the rich Dad i am the poor Dad it does not matter whos book is the best or worst or tells the truth or a lie but who sells the most books.

Now i know where to begin my book.

[;)]

Profile photo of bruhambruham
    Participant
    @bruham

Rich Dad poor Dad author is a liar and a cheat.
    He cheated me out of the price of two of his books, which were being sold as fact.I don’t read fiction.And of cause the whole book is one giant fairy tale.When I was reading the first one, some bits just didn’t sound right.
    When I realised this I destroyed the books.
    I don’t read any authored books.Use your brain, do your own thing.Educate yourself,believe no one.

Bruce G.
    Have the courage to take your own advice.

Profile photo of RonulasRonulas
    @ronulas

quote:

Rich Dad poor Dad author is a liar and a cheat.
    He cheated me out of the price of two of his books, which were being sold as fact.I don’t read fiction.And of cause the whole book is one giant fairy tale.When I was reading the first one, some bits just didn’t sound right.
    When I realised this I destroyed the books.
    I don’t read any authored books.Use your brain, do your own thing.Educate yourself,believe no one.

Bruce G.
    Have the courage to take your own advice.

Bruce,

Do you go out of your way to anger people? You must be a real peach to live with, that is all I can say. I think I will take some of your advice and ignore any of your posts.

You will always miss 100% of the shots you don’t take!

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Bruce

i’ve got a great book for you to read the only thing is look for the message because it’s not a true story. But the message is great it inspired me about 4 yrs ago and i did what he said and i’m retiring at the end of the year aged 39.
    The book is called Rich Dad Poor Dad.
    all the best westan

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Guys

To quote an earlier posting:
    “Educate yourself, believe noone.”

Well I……books, TV, seminars, friends, supposedly educated people, etc, etc ….um, how does one educate yourself if you are to believe noone. Are we all liars?

Regards

Profile photo of ez-rentez-rent
    @ez-rent

Hi westan

You sum up very well that the book itself obviously helped you in a massive way.

But at the end of the day, were you aware when you first read it that it wasn’t true?

Do you think that the failure to disclose the true nature of the ‘Rich Dad’ story was purposely done to sell more copies, because a ‘true’ story would have more credibility to the readers?

I would class Kiyosaki in the same book category of “The Richest Man in Babylon”. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0451165209/002-2215860-9745642?v=glance

The difference is that with the Babylon book you know up front it is not a ‘true’ story..

[email protected]

Profile photo of RickHyRickHy
    @rickhy

Hi all,
    I have read “the book”…. who cares if it is 100% or made up. It is a real eye opener and make you think outside the square. I beleive you listen to as much as you can, books, speaches,seminars Jimmy the dole bludger…everyone has something to add. YOU draw your own conclusions on what YOU want to act on. To disregard someones thoughts without due cause is a little silly. NEARLY everyone has some info that will help you achieve your goals. Prior to reading RK and Jan Sommers ect I wouldnt have taken the first step. I now work (in my own time) to help others to a long and secure future though property investing
    Rick
    Investment Partners Australia Limited
    [email protected]

Profile photo of bruhambruham
    Participant
    @bruham

G’day Ronulas,
    Oops, I’ve done it again, got up your nose,did I Ronulas? Never mind the truth must be told. When you are a writer of “untruths” it’s called fiction.I could write tons of fiction and claim it as the truth. I might even make money out of it.
    The only thing in the book that I agreed with,
    is to make real money, you need to employ staff, so they do the work, you do the planning for future expansion and new ventures.
    I have two taxis running around Sydney, somewhere,
    I sit on my bum (I’m a gov’t worker) and they work twelve hours a day all in the hope of earning a quid for themselves.I pull in $3,000
    a week for doing repairs etc.Maybe I should sell the property investments and use the money on more taxis.
    Weston,would you mind giving “us” a run down of how R.K. fiction is allowing you to retire at 39 years of age? All in four years.I must of missed the good bits.Maybe I better go look in that bin!

Bruce G.
    Winners make it happen.
    Losers let it happen.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Rich Dad Poor Dad’ is closed to new replies.