All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Purchasing far away

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of DesSueDesSue
    @dessue

A big Hello [:D] to all out there what a great way to get some informative & proffesional advice.
    I’ve asked before about purchasing of the net and would like to know if anybody does likewise. I’m in Brissie [8D] and the markets pretty drained here so buying up north or interstate seems to hold the best options, am I wrong [?]. Having already found a good positive geared place up north, looked at the photos, spoke to the agent etc. all sounds good its just to far get in the car and travel up with work commitments etc.
    Am I doing the wrong thing [?]
    When looking up north the word “FLOOD” seems to be mentioned alot any info re Rockhampton ,Innisfail or Mackay would be a great help.
    Thankyou for your time
    Des

Profile photo of dannadsdannads
    @dannads

Hi Des and Sue

We brought an IP in Mackay a few weeks back after following the local prices for a few months. We have family up there who say the prices are going up almost weekly at the moment with a strong interest from down South. There is a shortage of rentals up there and the return is great. I personally recommend Mackay as a reasonably safe bet for a long term investment.

Profile photo of navymtnavymt
    @navymt

Hi, i see you are considdering buying property without looking at it first. i cant really say i am an expert in this matter as i have never done it. but i have bought a car once without looking at it first. i relied on the salesman to tell mee all about it. needless to say, it was a dud. you are relying on the real estate agent to tell you about the property. remember the RE agent is paid by the owner to sell the property. as for photos. pretty safe to say that the photos were taken of the good bits. try flight center for really cheap flights. you should be able to get there and back for well under 1000 dollars. it just seems too much of a risk.[:O]

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

G’day Des and Sue,

Look at the reasons why you even want to buy an IP… what is the big picture aim?

Work that out, then work out if it’s worth your while to give it everything you’ve got, or if you’re just happy to sit back and take a punt.

Giving it everything you’ve got can be translated into taking a day or a week off work, and going up there to the places you mentioned. It’s not that far from Brissy to Rocky/Mackay etc… I live in Melbourne and took a week off work (I was a freelance reporter at the time, so that meant saying goodbye to any money coming in for the week) to go and do some investigating/buying in Qld. If you are a fair dinkum you will do it…

good luck
    r

Profile photo of Chris-SydChris-Syd
    Participant
    @chris-syd

I am in the middle of doing one now. My suggestions would be to get a building and pest inspection done before making an offer. You can then get information about the place from these two sourses as well.

It may cost a few dollars before getting a property but these are well worth it.

Try calling another real estate in the area and get some details about the area from them.

Chris

All post are IMHO.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Des & Sue

Don’t let the word Flood put you off. In Brisbane the 74 flood was the catalist for mitigation work around the city and now most areas are below the Q100. Of course there are exceptions especially in the Rocklea and Salisbury areas. In Rockhampton it has been 11 years since the last major flood in the Fitzroy river and the general market is more accepting of property in flood areas. Still always better safe than sorry for the cost of a flood search.

Cheers Richard
    [email protected]

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Purchasing far away’ is closed to new replies.