Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of venturaventura
    @ventura

Hi All

This site is AWESOME:))

I have got 110K in my pocket after selling my hse overseas. was wondering whether I should buy my 1st IP and rent myself or just buy a family home.
    any advise on the PROS & CONS . THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Profile photo of StrikerStriker
    Participant
    @jamescameron

Ventura
    I am in a similar boat to you. I think you are better to buy a IP and rent yourself provided that the rent youpay does not exceed what you would otherwise be paying in loan payment on your own home. This way the interest on your IP is tax deductible and so are all the other associated expenses with an IP. By renting yourself, you may be able to obtain a better property than you otherwise would if you had to buy your own home to live in.

James[:)]

Striker
    Email Me

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

quote:

Ventura
    I am in a similar boat to you. I think you are better to buy a IP and rent yourself provided that the rent youpay does not exceed what you would otherwise be paying in loan payment on your own home. This way the interest on your IP is tax deductible and so are all the other associated expenses with an IP. By renting yourself, you may be able to obtain a better property than you otherwise would if you had to buy your own home to live in.

James[:)]

I agree,

Just flogged my ppor to move back to Perth and rent is dirt cheap there. In the areas I’m looking in rental returns are 3-4%

However I will buy a new ppor when I find some value.

Meanwhile I will have my eyes skinned for some ip/wrap/reno/development opportunities.

Wayne

Profile photo of venturaventura
    @ventura
    Profile photo of vik_famvik_fam
    @vik_fam

You know if I had $110K I would be buying more that one property…

I would use as little as I could to pay a deposit on one property, leave the rest in a CMT and spend time buying as many properties as I could.

I guess it depends where you are, and how much property values are, but I am in QLD where $200K buys something quite liveable, 10% deposit each, $110K would buy 5 and have some cash for improvements.

Does anyone else agree?

Victoria
    [email protected]

Reason can answer questions, but imagination has to ask them. — Ralph Gerard

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You could buy 4 properties for wrapping and make approx $16,000 passive income per year.

But you would have to pay tax on this, and then pay for your rent with after tax dollars. So maybe not a good idea after all. Depends on your circumstances.

Terryw
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘110K’ is closed to new replies.