All Topics / The Treasure Chest / who said things are slowing??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

Home > Business > News > Article
    House prices hit new highs
    September 4, 2003

Print this article
    Email to a friend

Source: ABS.GOV.AU
    House prices have jumped during the last quarter.

Related links:
    Background: Housing starts fall despite more finance
    Background: Boom or gloom – it’s all part of deregulation
    Background: Housing boom continues
    Background: House boom tipped to last until 2006
    Background: House prices likely to stay high

House prices in Australia’s capital cities have jumped five per cent between April and June, the biggest quarterly rise in almost two years.

The House Price Index, issued quarterly by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS), showed growth in average prices accelerated from 3.4 per cent in the March quarter, to be up 18.1 per cent in the year.

The latest figures show Sydney house prices rose 3.9 per cent in the quarter, from 3.3 per cent earlier.

They were 20.6 per cent higher over the year to June, the ABS said.

Brisbane had the biggest increase, with prices up 7.9 per cent in the quarter and 26.3 per cent over the year.

Adelaide was close behind, prices rising 7.6 per cent in the June quarter and 24.7 per cent over the year, followed by Canberra on 7.1 per cent and 23.8 per cent.

In Perth, prices rose six per cent in the quarter and 15.8 per cent annually, and in Hobart by 4.4 per cent in the quarter and 15.9 per cent annually.

Growth in Melbourne prices accelerated to 4.2 per cent from 1.9 per cent in the first three months of the year, but showed only moderate growth of 10 per cent in the year.

Darwin had the slowest growth, with prices up just 0.5 per cent in June and 7.6 per cent over the year.

advertisement

advertisement

– AAP

Profile photo of MelanieMelanie
    @melanie

Sounds good Aussierogue – keep hearing the 2006 deadline for the boom, which makes investing now very attractive.

Only question is effect of a sharp interest rates rise, which I think would be temporary (<3 months) anyway.

[:)]
    Mel

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

g’day melanie

ive always said the market was going to continue going up. wont hear me talking the market down – not like westan and mini – nudge nudge!!!!

Profile photo of SachSach
    @sach

Could be the lazy procrastinators who keep saying
    bubble will burst, maybe it will keep going up
    and up and up. May hit a plateau, but dont think
    houses will become cheap as now 2006 onwards.
    BUY NOW as MUCH AS YOU CAN after doing RESEARCH

Profile photo of DramDram
    @dram

Hi,

I can’t see the price rise slowing in the near future either. As long as the interest rates stay as low as they are, prices will continue to rise. Still plenty of bargains out there though…

I wouldn’t say that I’m a lazy procrastinator, but I can’t wait for an interest rate correction!

Poised and ready to strike![:P]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘who said things are slowing??’ is closed to new replies.