All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Future Property Bust

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of Brent1Brent1
    Participant
    @brent1

I know that they’ve said recently that the boom will last another year or two (??) before interest rates go up at least .5%. But I’d like to know when the last bust was, how long it lasted, and how high did rates go?
    Will history repeat itself exactly like this again? And is it still a good time to buy QLD/WA IP’s, even though they are +geared? What’s everyone’s views?
    Soooo many qstns….. sorry.
    Thanx

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

hi brent can’t help with all you are after but here is a start
    Melbourne prices (median)
    1985 75k
    1986 82k
    87 89k
    88 109k
    89 132k
    90 131k
    91 127k
    92 125k
    93 126k
    94 130k
    95 129k
    96 131k
    97 142k
    98 155k
    99 174k
    2000 190k
    2001 220k
    2002 237k Prelim figures
    So as you can see the last boom ended in 1989 then prices went sidewards for 7 years then bounced again. so the overall market didn’t experience a big drop, like many in the media are talking about.
    hope that’s a start
    westan

Profile photo of olorinsledgeolorinsledge
    @olorinsledge

If those figures are anything to go by, it shows that during ‘busts’ -ve property owners will be hurting big time. Losing cash on a property when its not appreciating in capital value must be a real bugger… [:(]

Obviously during those times your +ve properties are gonna be worth their weight in gold – so with all the talk about a ‘bust’, even more reason to look for +ve (though I still think looking in capital growth areas is a must).

Profile photo of ajwansajwans
    Participant
    @ajwans

Olorin, during those sideways years less investors
    enter the markets and as rates rise some are
    forced to sell, these contribute to rising rents.

The yield improves to a point where property looks
    attractive again and we have another boom.

So a bust is (somewhat) good news to those who are
    in the market because it signifies that there will
    be bargains in the future and yields will improve.

andy

Profile photo of olorinsledgeolorinsledge
    @olorinsledge

ajwans – Yep, understand that. Though I don’t really like the mentality of people that think like that (not that I’m accusing you of thinking like that, don’t get me wrong). I prefer win-win situations not zero sum (ie one wins – one loses), and think it’s better on a personal and social level. [:)]

Still, you could argue that it is win-win during those times as they are looking to bail and we are faciliting that wish. [:)]

Profile photo of Brent1Brent1
    Participant
    @brent1

Thanx Westan, a useful piece of info that. Anyone have data for QLD/WA/TAS??

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

Very interesting westan,

Median price is an interesting statistical figure. Athough it is the best figure available for an overall picture, I wonder how it would look if we segmented the market into different catagories.(don’t know what the catagories should be…maybe the median price of the cheapest 25% of properties and so on up to the most expensive 25%)

The top end of the market seemed to take a big hit in the early nineties.

The most expensive quarter of the property market could have gone down 25% without affecting the medain price of the overall market, but would have affected the mean .

This is perhaps where BOTH the mean and the median price should be used to get two separate statistical views of the overall market.

Then we could make a more informed decision as to which particular sector of the overall market is more able to preserve values in a flat/declining market.

Also would love to see suburb by suburb or shire by shire statistics. Doe anyone know if these are available?

Cheers Wayne

@westan

hi guys

wayne you have guessed right Median in Toorak (most expensive sub in Vic) went from 595k in 1991 to 490k in 1993 but rebounded the following year.
    There is a book
    “a guide to Property Values” put out by the valuer general. It’s a little behind the times but its updated every year. Costs about $60. available from Landata (DNRE) ph 03 86362456.

Or just mention the suburb you want and post your email and i’ll scan it and email to you.
    regards westan

Profile photo of skalleskalle
    @skalle

Westan,

Is that book only covering Victoria. If so can you get it for other area’s as well

Henning

@westan

Hi skalle

no its only for Victoria.

i’ve just done some research
    you can buy this book for a special $10.95, it must mean the new one is about to come out.
    check this link, (i’m still happy to scan and email pages.) but it is a handy book to have for victorians. Might start a new post telling people this
    http://www.businessmall.com.au/cache/item-133public.html?cache=no
    regards westan

Profile photo of George2George2
    @george2
    Profile photo of skalleskalle
    @skalle

Thanks Westan,

Had a look at the link and purchased the book

Henning

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

olorin, i think you nailed it –

“If those figures are anything to go by, it shows that during ‘busts’ -ve property owners will be hurting big time. Losing cash on a property when its not appreciating in capital value must be a real bugger… “

if you buy a +ve cashflow property now, when and if the hurting capital gain people dump, there will be a shortage of rental properties, rents will go up –

but even if capital gain remains strong, it should also mean the CF+ve properties go up in value too (though maybe not as much)

it’s much easier to ride a market out for a while if you need to, if you’re making each week not losing.

http://www.vocalbureau.com

Profile photo of commprop101commprop101
    Participant
    @commprop101

+ve cash flows depend on a lot of things.

Interest rates
    Tenants
    Repairs

If rates go up to 10% as I heard predicate today. Will you still be +ve?

I think the key is to lock in the rate when you know it’s a good time. BTW – its a good time!

Profile photo of AndrewsalAndrewsal
    Participant
    @andrewsal

Hi 101,

Interest rates up to 10%? How long do you think it will take for that happen?

I have most of my loans fixed for as long as pos.
    Only one of my loans is variable and that is the one I am pumping all the extra cash into.

So an increase in Interest rates won’t have that much effect on me.

But I don’t see the rates going up that much.

Andrew[8D]

Profile photo of noddiesnoddies
    @noddies

Hi All[:)]
    According to the latest BIS SHRAPNEL report intrest rates will be
    2003 6.6%
    2004 6.1%
    2005 8.3%
    2006 10.1%
    I attended a business lunch last Fiday
    where the Cheif Economist of the ANZ Bank Saul Eslake said exactly the same.

Regards
    Bryce Inglis
    [email protected]
    http://www.ipal.com.au

Profile photo of caddy222caddy222
    Participant
    @caddy222

Hi Noddies, was there any predictions for post 2006, that is, are they prediciting that they will continue to rise, level, go down??????????????
    Caddy

Profile photo of noddiesnoddies
    @noddies

Hi Caddy222[:)]
    The report only covers 2003-2006 and even Saul Eslake will not predict beyond that.
    Intrest rises are being used to curb inflation predicted in the world economy

Regards
    bryce

Profile photo of Most excellentMost excellent
    @most-excellent

Hiya,

I’ve heard that the next PBust ( when it happens ) will not be so time repairing, last one took 7 years previous one took 8 years. This next one will be 4 years tops, therefore preparing for damage control can be on the cards for IP owners.

Michael
    just be

@westan

hi guys

Noddies

while we should be prepared for possible rate rises i wouldn’t get too scared by such extreme predictions. if you go through these guys predictions over the last few years they are always wrong. for the last two years they have been saying the same thing yet rates haven’t risen. One day they may be right ? so your warning is valid. It is near impossible to predict 3 yrs out. i am surprised that they predict a decline of .5% next year?
    regards westan

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Future Property Bust’ is closed to new replies.