All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Protection from termites

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of maximusmaximus
    @maximus

Hi gang.Just trying to find out how you guys protect your I/P’s (especially in Qld) from termites. Is there a particular treatment considered better than the others, and how much approx does this cost.
    N.B I am enquiring re preventative measures, I dont have termites (I hope), just trying to keep the pesky buggars out. Also, if anyone can recommend pest controllers that deal with this in Brisbane it would be apprreciated.

Thanks all

Marty

Profile photo of CastleDreamerCastleDreamer
    Participant
    @castledreamer

HI Marty, I have dealt with termites in four properties in Brisbane to date. I recommend Sentinel Pest Control Services over any other I have used – they have always been timely, informative, and give an excellent written report on all of their work. All of their work is guaranteed to meet the Australian Standards. Sentinel will also offer insurance on any barrier treatments that they do (barrier treatment is a chemical treatment where they drill every 20cm around your entire house and pump in a chemical barrier)
    All in all a good family business where you get to deal directly with the proprietor.
    I don’t normally give huge raves for many tradesmen, but these guys are decent.
    Cheers
    LR[:)]

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi Max, My property managers (Watermans) recommend Peterson’s Pest Control. I’m probably going to get them to re-do my chemical barrier around one of my houses at Goodna. It costs about $2,300 or so. Not cheap but it’s supposed to last 5 years. What they also offer is continual monitoring of baits they place around the house. The baits cost $25 each, and they check them every 2 months, at a cost of $40 per visit. If they find termites in any bait, they dust it with arsenic to hopefully kill the colony. It costs $90 if they have to do this. Also, I assume, I’ll have to get the house inspected each year as well. That will probably cost 250 to 300 pa. So.. Termite management is not cheap if it’s done properly. I think I’ll feel a lot more confident with the bi-monthly monitoring, as I’ve had that house attacked 4 times. My own PPoR has been attacked twice. Both properties are Jennings homes, initially treated by Guardian Pest and Weed Control. Need I say more?
    Peterson’s also offer a more sophisticated baiting system (called Exterra) that is supposed to be very good, but that costs another $1500 or so.
    Its explained on their website: http://www.petersonspestcontrol.com.au/
    There’s also a lot of interesting reading on the Termite Action Group website at http://www.termiteactiongroup.com/
    They believe that the tendency of builders to put just a physical barrier down nowadays is a big time bomb about to hit the building industry.

Hope this helps. Regards, Jim.

Profile photo of maximusmaximus
    @maximus

Thanx heaps for that info guys, very informative and hopefully other forumites will get some benefit too.

Regards

Marty

P.S How would Steve go paying for 130 lots of treatment?

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Max, the expert at Peterson’s told me the only effective way to build a house is on concrete or steel stumps, with no entry points touching the ground. Perhaps most of Steve’s properties are on stumps?
    Jim.

He who hesitates is sometimes saved!…Thurber.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Protection from termites’ is closed to new replies.