All Topics / The Treasure Chest / the beginners test to buying interstate

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of stargazerstargazer
    Participant
    @stargazer

hi all

i am curious to see if there are people missing out to the more experienced when it comes to interstate or overseas buying.

So here i am a person searching on the net and bingo a property appears in queensland somewhere in the country. I am in western Australia never been to queensland but the deal on the surface looks great.

three bedroom
    large block
    15000 population

price 55000 tenanted at 150 per week

How do i put the wheels in motion to do the due dilegence eg

vacany rates
    jobs
    future plans
    infrastruture
    house condition
    when i would obviously feel a sense of urgency

or suspicion what do others know that i dont
    why hasnt it sold at that price

cant travel there due to work commitments

what sort of time frames am i dealing with here from finding and looking up the info? to deciding yes ill make an offer its good.

great to hear your thoughts form

beginners and expereinced

regards
    alf

Profile photo of calroncalron
    Participant
    @calron

Hey Alf, maybe I can help you out.. I’m here on the goldcoast. Maybe i could check it out a little bit for you..

I have now 7 IP’s on the go so maybe my experience will save you a little headache??

Email me at the address below..

cheers

Calron the Alcamist
    Turning things into gold is fun.
    [email protected][;)]

Profile photo of stargazerstargazer
    Participant
    @stargazer

hi calron

thanks for the offer this was purely a hypothetical exercise for a beginner to find there way with ways to sus out a deal.

The experienced people like yourself seem to have no problems with interstate purchasing obviously knowing what steps to take.

However you have brought to the surface that networking with people in the area can be a great strategy.

I suppose i was looking for the next step or steps
    networking is one. even for a small fee could be a little earner for someone that has the time to look for someone that hasnt.

i would be interested as i dont have alot of time to look.

regards
    alf

Profile photo of calroncalron
    Participant
    @calron

well.. thats great.. I have found that the more that I look at the easier it is to see what on the surface is a good deal and when it’s not..
    There is so much about that I can’t by it all;)

I have also have a escalating contact base of real estate agents that know that I am a good source of income for them and so call me when they get new listings coming up.

Looking forward to chatting more soon..

Cheers

Calron the Alcamist
    Turning things into gold is fun.
    [email protected][;)]

Profile photo of HomeLoanGuyHomeLoanGuy
    @homeloanguy

Hi Alf,

I live in Toowoomba, Qld and may be able to provide anecdotal evidence or personal comments on the area in question. Email me at [email protected].

Call the local council, they will often give you some good information on local conditions.

Gary Young
    Home Loan Connexion
    Mobile 0407 64 66 32
    Fax +61 7 4636 4841
    email [email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi alf

The Company I run finds purchasers for investors over the whole of Qld. Happy to give you any information on regional towns or cities based in the Sunshine State.

Cheers Richard
    [email protected]

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

Hi Alf – I don’t disagree with the concept of buying interstate, though as one whose just booked (another) trip to WA, why not look around WA country areas first?

To answer your questions on info sources:

a. vacany rates

Ring up property managers in the area and ask what properties/locations are in demand. Firstly ask about what they can offer as a PM. Say you’re thinking of using them and want to find a place that will be easy to let out and won’t be a hassle for them to manage.

b. jobs

Get stats on unemployments rates from govt or ABS websites.

c. future plans

Contact local council or regional development authority.

Find out what are the area’s main industries and read about developments in those industries.

Look up websites for local papers and ABC regional news.

d. infrastruture

As above.

e. house condition

Get a property manager, valuer, or builder to look at it. Maybe even give them a checklist so nothing’s missed.

f. location

Find out which locations are best from your discussions with PMs. One volunteered that once I have several places on my shortlist I ring them to get their views on the street before proceeding. I will do this and will most likely use this person as my PM (after I’ve met them in person).

There are a lot more questions to ask about things like rates, BC costs, etc.

Time frame – from deciding on a location, doing research and selecting a place could be 4-8 weeks. Once I’m in a town I’d allow 7-10 days to walk the area, select a place and buy it.

My approach which I am planning to test (very soon) goes something like this:

1. Beforehand: Get details of previous sales over the last 6-12 months. Get street maps of the area. Ring PMs re good and bad areas. Make an assessment of preferred suburbs. Ring REA a few days prior to your visit. Tell them what you’re looking for. You might also say that price is less important than rate of return and you’re aiming at somewhere near 10%. They might suggest some places, which you should take note of.

2. Arrive in town on a Friday night. Ideally you’d have dinner in town and look in agents windows afterwards.

3. 9am Sat morning: Quickly go around REAs grabbing rental lists and having another look in the windows.

4. 10-11am Sat morning: Actually go into agents and ask about what properties are available. The only info you need is: 1. Asking price, 2. Adddress, 3. Rates, 4. Strata levies, 5. if tenanted, the rent it attracts.

5. Sat afternoon: Using the rental lists you’ve gathered as guidance, estimate the rent of each place for sale would fetch.

6. Sat afternoon: Look at yields (rents/price) of various places as well as comparing fixed costs (rates, etc). Develop a shortlist of high yielding properties to inspect.

7. Sat evening: Have dinner and walk around areas on your shortlist.

8. Sunday: Wonder around looking at places on your shortlist.

9. Monday: Get back to the agents and tell them which of their properties you’d like to inspect.

10. Based on what you see, previous sale prices and what would be a reasonable rental return, put in offer(s) and arrange building/pest inspections.

Regards, Peter

Profile photo of stargazerstargazer
    Participant
    @stargazer

hi all

thanks peter thats what i was trying to stimulate as i said this was hypothetical i am i sa actually.

Where do you get the las t 6-12 month sales figures?

To all the others thanks for your input and offer i certainly will keep it in the back of my mind if i decide on qld.

kind regards and a great beginning to spring

alf

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

Hi Alf – For WA properties, try Dept of Land Administration (DOLA) ($24 per postcode, they email you the info). Or use Home Price Guide ($49.95) who also email.

I then go down to the local internet bar and print it out on their laser printer (cheaper than wasting half my inkjet cartridge on it).

Peter

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘the beginners test to buying interstate’ is closed to new replies.