All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Lack of Educating Others

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of GalvieGalvie
    @galvie

I am a teacher in a Senior Secondary High School in NSW. At the moment I am disenheartened with the whole Education System. I teach a whole range of students from the very intelligent to those of limited ability.

The focus on subject content is depressing, the whole focus seems to be on that exam at the end.

I have been to a seminar with Robert Kiyosaki and read a number of books on property investing ( currently have two investment properties ) and I am attempting to pass on some of the information I have gained to the students.

Hopefully some of it will rub off and there is a possibility of these people becoming truely wealthy. (a couple are already investigating this )

I’m interested in others opinions on presenting this investment stratigy to others.

Rod

Profile photo of LeighLeigh
    @leigh

Hi Rod,

I reckon it would be great if you could get them playing RK’s Cashlow game together. Learning a lot of the realities about money early in life would be the best advantage any kid could have.

Cheers, Leigh.

P.S – I think it’s great what you’re doing.

“If you can count your money, you don’t have a billion dollars”
    J. Paul Getty

Profile photo of Ash_2Ash_2
    Participant
    @ash_2

Hi Rod,

Teaching ‘Thinking’ as a subject is now a matter for consideration in many US schools now.Several years ago,no one ever thought such a subject would be ‘taught’, as Edward DeBono says.

I feel confident that you are on the right track,and there would be a lot of grown ups thanking you for what you taught them about investing when they were young !

Keep it going.

Ash

quote:

I am a teacher in a Senior Secondary High School in NSW. At the moment I am disenheartened with the whole Education System. I teach a whole range of students from the very intelligent to those of limited ability.

The focus on subject content is depressing, the whole focus seems to be on that exam at the end.

I have been to a seminar with Robert Kiyosaki and read a number of books on property investing ( currently have two investment properties ) and I am attempting to pass on some of the information I have gained to the students.

Hopefully some of it will rub off and there is a possibility of these people becoming truely wealthy. (a couple are already investigating this )

I’m interested in others opinions on presenting this investment stratigy to others.

Rod

Profile photo of calroncalron
    Participant
    @calron

I applaud you.

We are having our boy in early december and one of the things that we are needing to do right now is starting to look at schools.

I really would like a type of school that teaches the necessaries, reading, writing etc.. But I would also like a school that teaches networking, how to make money not just get a job..

The standard schooling system is so archaic it’s not funny.

I really hope that the system changes in the next 5 years or so..

Cheers

Calron the Alcamist
    Turning things into gold is fun.
    [email protected][;)]

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Hi Rod,

I wish when I was at school I have a teacher like you, but now it all past.

When my kids grow up I will try to do what you did to the school.

good on you Rod and best of luck.

Kind regards

Chandara
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

Profile photo of maximusmaximus
    @maximus

Hi all. I have thought for a long time that some form of “money education” needs to be taught in some capacity at schools. What I try to do with my son (and have done for the last few years) who is 16, is to take him with me when I visit my accountant, R/E agents or even talking to banks re my loans. I then discuss with him what and why I am doing whatever it may be and then I’ll ask if he has any questions. None of the above was done for me (only because my parents didn’t know about investing etc) so hopefully some of the “jargin” will not be a deterrant to my son. I don’t push it on him, but try to evoke questions or thoughts from him so that at least he has some sort of idea about property investing and/or money issues in general.

Cheers

Marty

Profile photo of GalvieGalvie
    @galvie

Marty,
    you are giving your son a great experience, I talk more about money, investing, saving and income to my children then my parents ever did. Unfortunately this is probably the only time they will come incontact with this.

Hopefully it will make a difference in future.

Regards Rod

quote]
    Hi all. I have thought for a long time that some form of “money education” needs to be taught in some capacity at schools. What I try to do with my son (and have done for the last few years) who is 16, is to take him with me when I visit my accountant, R/E agents or even talking to banks re my loans. I then discuss with him what and why I am doing whatever it may be and then I’ll ask if he has any questions. None of the above was done for me (only because my parents didn’t know about investing etc) so hopefully some of the “jargin” will not be a deterrant to my son. I don’t push it on him, but try to evoke questions or thoughts from him so that at least he has some sort of idea about property investing and/or money issues in general.

Cheers

Marty
    [/quote]

Profile photo of rosspjrosspj
    @rosspj

Could’nt agree with you more mate. I’m 29, and have been fortunate enough to have a good education, financially from home to enable me to retire from working. But I did this with a view to be able to make a difference in exactly what youre saying. To much emphasis is placed on scholastic results, rather than giving lessons in life!
    There are some many good kids who have so much potential in the “school of life”, but have no confidence in themselves and do not gain any for years and years because the education system tells them they are not intelligent in whatever field.
    I would love to make changes in these areas, but where do you start?

Profile photo of kaydeekaydee
    @kaydee

I think a round of applause is in order!

[8)]

We also are playing cashflow with our kids and trying to help them develop good money habits early. Not just investing but every day spending.
    Our kids are brainwashed into thinking that credit is their friend and that you never really have to pay for anything “no money down – no repayments for XXXyears” thanks to the big chains for this one! But I have also wondered why the education system which seems to want to take the role of the parent in areas such as sex education etc has never addressed this vital part of life.

Go for broke Rob! We are 100% behind you!

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

I think it’s a fantastic idea. The current curriculum does very little in preparation for work or life in general. It would have been nice to have a teacher like you.[:D]

Profile photo of spider_2spider_2
    @spider_2

[:)]hi galvie,
    Good on you!
    I’m also a teacher but work with primary age students in a public system that is outcomes not content focussed – very fortunate!
    Our two sons are involved in every family business meeting and kept informed of what we are doing. Their input is valued. They started playing cashflow for kids several years ago, and now love playing cashflow 101.
    My son’s college has an investment/stockmarket extra curricular activity once per week for those interested – sort of a game.
    At school a few years ago, my year 2 class made a special book that they wanted to laminate. It was to cost $35 which we didn’t have, so we set about fundraising in our school of 300 students. For one week, a different group each day would make, bag and sell popcorn. Then they had to count the money, take out the float and prepare for the next group’s turn. We also had a one off sausage sizzle. At the end of the week, we prepared our balance sheet of income and expenditure, and of course profit. We raised in excess of $150 which paid for our laminating. The rest of the money we played with during maths lessons on money. None ever went missing – it was “their” money – unlike the plastic play money that always disappeared!
    Eventually after much class discussion, we took our remaining profit and bought items of need for our class – dressup clothes from St Vinnies $1 day, games for our class – no doodads!
    It was a valuable lesson for seven and eight year olds in how to get what you want. Yes, they are never too young if you explain it in terms that they can understand.
    Our students definitely need more financial education – it starts with parents and then in partnership with teachers.
    Keep up the good work
    cheers
    [8D]

“Minds are like parachutes, they work best when open!”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lack of Educating Others’ is closed to new replies.