All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Little or nothing down

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of DanTheManDanTheMan
    @dantheman

Hi all,

There are alot of books and seminars etc out there that advertise building a massive portfolio, starting with nothing, by using “nothing down techniques”. Has anyone actually bought property with nothing down (not using equity in another property)? If so, would be most interested to know how?

Dan.

If you want an extraordinary life you have to be prepared to do things that ordinary people aren’t prepared to do.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi Dan,

I just bought 2 with no money down, BUT I did get snagged with Mortgage Insurance!

Bought for $50K but needs $5K worth of work to be done on it (int paint and new carpets). The RE agent wrote the offer up for $55K with $50K going to the seller and $5K to me at settlement as per the annexure on the back of the contract. The bank sees $55K worth of property. I went straight to a Mortgage Broker who has established contacts to do the rest. All up the loan and costs will be $58500.

I CERTAINLY recommend getting as much deposit as you can beforehand, but no money down can be done – and there are many (perhaps smarter?) ways of doing it.

Cheers,
    Shell.

Profile photo of DanTheManDanTheMan
    @dantheman

Thanx Shelley,
    Have heard of such strategies, but not heard ofanyone actually doing them, soit is usefull to know it can actually be done. Out of interest, where did you get a property for $50k, and did you +ve gear it?

Dan.

If you want an extraordinary life you have to be prepared to do things that ordinary people aren’t prepared to do.

Profile photo of RodCRodC
    @rodc

quote:

The RE agent wrote the offer up for $55K with $50K going to the seller and $5K to me at settlement as per the annexure on the back of the contract. The bank sees $55K worth of property

Have you full disclosed to the bank what you are doing? For valuation figures banks usually take the lower of the valuation or the purchase price. This sounds like they are being misled on the purchase price.

Rod.

Profile photo of Stuart WemyssStuart Wemyss
    @stuart-wemyss

Banks should pick this up during the assessment process. If they do then they will only lend against the $50k. This is an oversight of the bank and I would imagine that you would not be successful in getting this through every time (unless you are dealing with a very incompetent lender – there are a few going around).

Cheers

Stu

Property & Finance News
    at http://www.prosolution.com.au

Profile photo of kelly1100kelly1100
    @kelly1100

I’ve seen clients push through contracts with 120% of the property value as the contract price. But these deals have involved E Banc Trade Dollars and finance. 70% is financed, 30% is trade dollars and 20% comes back to the client in cash. I never could get my head around it.

Profile photo of MelanieMelanie
    @melanie

Kelly is this for commercial only or residential as well – and how do you find out more !?

Thanks,
    Mel
    [:)]

Profile photo of kelly1100kelly1100
    @kelly1100

These were residential IP’s. Three units at Caloundra and one house at Perigian. There are (so I’ve heard on the grape-vine) a number of property developers on the Sunshine Coast who will do deals with E Banc Trade Dollars. But I also hear on the same grape-vine that the ATO are VERY VERY interested in the whole trade dollar set up.

You could talk to Greg O’Brien at Due Diligence Bureau in Maroochydore (don’t have the number) he could possibly give you some advice.

Keymaster
    @piadmin

>>This sounds like they are being misled on the purchase price.<<

No it doesn’t SOUND like misleading the bank. It IS misleading the bank.

A much more preferable way would be to put some cash in, do the alterations and thence have the property revalued again and recover one’s cash input.

Some lenders are however prepared to re-assess the property the moment it is registered in your name.

Then again, this kind of thing (putting a false purchase price in the contract) is being done each and every day, a lot more than everyone thinks.

And, in a way, the lender has a valuer value the property as their protection and assurance.

I would have a lot more sympathy for the lenders if valuers were always putting a fair dinkum
    valuation figure on a property when they value it rather than protecting their backside by automatically adopting the contract price (or else being ultra conservative).

I doubt that a bank would do anything more than withdraw the offer to lend if they were to find out (what actually amounts to fraud).

Pisces133

Profile photo of DanTheManDanTheMan
    @dantheman

There are other ways of getting no cash down though. One for example… as we all know there are bargins out there, people who want out of thier properties, and are prepared to take under market value. Instead of paying them less, you could instead (or as well) bargin for more flexible terms. eg. The seller carry a note for 10% secured by a second mortgage. The other 90% you would get from the bank[:P]. Has anyone tried any thing like this? If not why not?

Dan.

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Hi Dan
    I have made offers along those lines a few times, but without success. Having said that, though, mostly I was dealing with vendors who were owner occupiers with big mortgages. I did have one vendor where the husband was keen but the wife knocked it on the head.
    I’m sure it can be done, it’s a question of finding a vendor who is willing to listen.

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Keymaster
    @piadmin

In my case, the banks SAW the contract and annexure and still valued it on $55K, in my opinion is valued correctly. As it was a bargain, the owner had defaulted on payments and the house was being sold under her. I expect to get at least $68K after painting and relaying carpet.
    It is +ve geared and renting at $120/wk in a country town near Perth. Even with borrowing 110% of purchase price, it’s +ve. I asked if the owner would take back 10% on terms or be interested in vendor finance for a year, but she needed the cash ASAP.

Profile photo of picja1picja1
    @picja1

This is a good debate. It is also a debate amongst solicitors as well. Some will do it, some will not. The ones against believe it is fraud, the ones for, go on the fact if the property value’s up then there is equity there, and to be used.

There are different approach’s for it to work. I will mention though, it always comes down to the vendors participation or not. You must consider, the vendor will pay costs on the contract price.

I must also mention that generally these tactics are used to purchase a property when you have no deposit or costs, and also it is mainly done between friends and family. When it is disclosed to the lender (some lenders do, some don’t)they are generally fine with it. But my main point is that under no circumstances would I approach it in the manner of adding extra cash in your pocket, as done in the posting of FREE DEPOSITS. I don’t think the lender would agree to that, if they knew. That is an example where I would tend to lean to the side of, a case of fraud.

Anyway, to the strategies;

1st
    Purchase Price (which must never be higher than the listing price, that is definately illegal)
    $100000

You negotiate with the vendor to $90000
    The $10000 difference can be used a non-refundable gift from the vendor to the buyer to assist in legal costs, small repairs and deposit.
    This is disclosed to lenders. The other way is put the $10000 on contract as a paid deposit.

2nd
    Same senario – instead of a non-refundable gift, the vendor loans you the $10000 at whatever interest rate (but you now must take this loan into your serviceability),goes on contract. This can now be left as is, 2nd mortgage or after settlement the vendor wipes the loan.

With a lot of lenders they do not care where the deposit comes from, as long as there is equity in the property for them to retreive there funds if needed.
    It is disclosed to the lenders. On disclosure, How many wrap investors are disclosing that they are wrapping the mortgage to their lender. For Example, if you’ve got an ING,Suncorp,Macquarie,NAB and the list goes on, loan, you definately haven’t. There are only a couple of lenders who do accept wrap investors, I bet not everyone is with these 4-5 lenders.

The technics used above are used often. But you do have to find a vendor that will play ball. Also a solicitor and of course lender.

[email protected]

Keymaster
    @piadmin

A solicitor would have to be a complete idit to be involved in something which is obviously a case of fraud.

The conveyancing fee he stands to gain isn’t worth the risk of losing his ticket to practice so don’t even bother to involve the solicitor in the plot.

Pisces133

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Peter

Stacking the contract isn’t illegal. It is up to you what you disclose to the bank. Solicitor doesn’t have anything to do with you disclosing.

Terryw
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Keymaster
    @piadmin

>> Solicitor doesn’t have anything to do with you disclosing.<<

It is however a reasonable assumption to make that you have in mind to mislead the bank.

But, I agree Terry that it is in fact a good point to make to convince your solicitor that there isn’t any problem in him co-operating.

This then leaves only the vendor’s solicitor to deal with (whom I am sure will be strongly suggesting to his client not to go into such an agreement).

Pisces133

Profile photo of Elysium-MElysium-M
    @elysium-m

Hang on there! People seem to be freely bandying around the “fraud” word. Do you really understand what that means? Fraud as I understand it is to gain a benefit by making false representations.

If, as Shelley described, the entire transaction, including the cash-back deal, was in the contract, how can you say it’s fraud? The contract is given to the bank, who is a sophisticated and professional business. Not the village idiot. I think that it is reasonable to proceed on the basis that the bank has notice of the arrangement once you give them the contract. I personally guarantee that any bank who tries to claim that they didn’t read a contract properly, and should therefore be excused from honouring the loan agreement, will be laughed out of court. By analogy, if you signed the bank’s loan agreement, do you even think that you’re going to get off the hook by saying you didn’t read something in the contract? I don’t think so.

I’m sure Stuart is right. Maybe it’s a slip-up by the bank. But since when are borrowers under a duty to help the bank read a contract? Why are you second-guessing the bank?

And I can’t see how any competent solicitor who is presented with a deal like Shelley’s would even spend more than a passing thought on whether or not it’s illegal, because there’s no question of illegality at all.

Cheers
    M

@elysium-m

Hey Shelley,

Where in Perth is that property that you bought? Just curious. Email me if you prefer on [email protected]

Thanks
    M

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

And don’t forget some banks actually ask you in writing to indicate if there is any sort of rebate or money back at settlement. Westpac does this! NAB too I have heard.

Terryw
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@elysium-m

Good point Terry – in that case, if the bank asks you and you state “No”, when in fact the answer is “yes”, I still question whether a charge of fraud can be successfully brought, given that the bank has a copy of the contract which shows the existence of a rebate. However, it’s likely to be a breach of contract in any event, which may allow the bank to pull out of the loan (if settlement hasn’t happened yet) or to demand full repayment of the loan immediately.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Little or nothing down’ is closed to new replies.