All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Where are the bargain properties???

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of shezianshezian
    @shezian

Having been looking for months to find a positive cash flow property. I would rather commercial, but l can can’t find any at all.
    Everything is just so overpriced and the rent doesn’t even come close to covering the repayments to the bank. Am l missing something?

Sue

Profile photo of powderfingerspowderfingers
    @powderfingers

Where have you been looking Sue?

Yes, it`s very hard to find them but they are there, apparently!

Profile photo of calroncalron
    Participant
    @calron

hey Sue.

How are your loans structured??? Principal + interest or interest only??

We’ve found that with 20% down and in the case of commercial, 30% down and interest only loans, the repayments and all outgoings is in our property cases, always covered by the rent + profit.

Where are you at?

Let us know then we can probably help you more..

cheers

Calron the Alcamist
    Turning things into gold is fun.
    [email protected][;)]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Shezian

Not sure which State you are in but in Qld there are many properties that will provide you with positive cashflow with 100% borrowing. Most of our clients use the additional cash flow to reduce either their non tax deductible home loan or the investment loan itself to create extra equity. Always happy to work some number for you.

Cheers Richard
    [email protected]

There is no such thing as a problem. Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Sue

Try NZ. There appears to be many + cashflow properties in all cities and towns throughout the whole country.

I’ve just put an offer on a house in a Nth Island town which should give me about $2200per year pre tax + cashflow after expenses.

Regards

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

yeah for example here’s one I found a while back,

Ê$ 35,000

RENTAL INVESTMENT CENTRAL TOWN
    For location you wouldn’t find better. Two minutes to Polytech, two minutes to Town. Spacious five bedroom villa. Newly painted both inside and out. Private rear section and elevated for views. Leasehold Land (Lease $670.00 pa). Rates ($1200.00). Rateable Value $ 53,000

This has been rented for $240 per week to house-sharing students.
    The land lease is in year 7 of a 15 year lease.
    The deals are out there. Anyone in the world could have found it.

A 30 percent + return *after* rates and land rental. And that’s just going off the *list* price.

cheers-
    Mini

http://www.vocalbureau.com

Profile photo of stargazerstargazer
    Participant
    @stargazer

hi all

Its great to hear people still finding +ve cashflow properties.

Mini how did you come across the one you mentioned in n.z.

Did you know the area

had you researched it

I’m only starting to delve into this have got steves book and ordered fast track.

Id like to know where to start looking

I’ve looked at the papers
    internet

what i have seen are utter dumps (sheds) for the soughtof prices the forum indicates.

Where does one go to research a town or place where the property is situated.

some say get a feel of the place go there if you are buying interstate or places you have never been makes it hard to just make decision.

Hows the best way to start?

agggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…lol

best to all

alf

Profile photo of jaan12345jaan12345
    @jaan12345

i want to invest first time in housing but don’t have much. I thought I could with around $200k but in NSW nothing seems available, yet I am made to believe there is something always there.
    just wondering how to look! pointers to right places much appreciated

Profile photo of puissancepuissance
    @puissance

there are heaps, u just need to know where to look

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Sue, what do you mean by ‘commercial’ ?

Shops ? Office space ?

If so, where have you been looking ?
    How big a project do you think you can handle ?

Your comment ‘Everything is just so overpriced and the rent doesn’t even come close to covering the repayments to the bank.’ just isn’t correct.

The secret is to look for something which one can improve upon. And of course one needs to put some money in upfront until the project is up and running. After that one can refinance in such a manner that all one’s money is returned.

They are not hard to find. I would be happy to go into a lot more detail.

Pisces133
    [email protected]

Participant
    @minimogul

Dear Alf and others out there

Like I said before “The deals are out there.”

I’m trying to be helpful here but really guys, c’mon

>Mini how did you come across the one you mentioned in n.z.

I looked for it!! Simple as that. And, it’s been on the internet for months for all to see.

>Did you know the area
    not really, I mean I’ve been there twice in my life for one day, kinda thing

I look everywhere.

>had you researched it
    not until I saw the deal

>Id like to know where to start looking
    >I’ve looked at the papers
    >internet

good – keep looking!!!!

>Where does one go to research a town or place where the >property is situated.
    1) go there and/or 2) make lots of calls 3) ask lots of questions
    4) research –
    here are some tips
    not to do with property, but the principles are right on

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/mit.research.how.to/mit.research.how.to.html

http://www.sofweb.vic.edu.au/internet/research.htm

>some say get a feel of the place go there if you are buying >interstate or places you have never been makes it hard to >just make decision.
    It’s whatever you feel comfortable with.

>Hows the best way to start?
    1) find deals (look at over 100)/do the numbers
    2) research and due diligence
    3) make offers

did I leave anything out? Oh yeah if you need finance, you need to organise that first, or else know you can get it after the offer

cheers-
    Mini

Participant
    @calron

I agree with Mini..

There are plenty out there if you really want them..
    I use the internet alot for my research..
    Realestate.com.au
    property.com.au
    to name a couple..
    Yes it’s true that alot of those that are on those sites are already sold, but they are great sites for you to gauge what the prices are doing around the country.

When you make the call and find that the property has been sold you then ask what else is available.. You usually find that if you gain a rapport with the sales person on the other end of the phone they will start to call you with newly listed properties.

It takes time and you can see some absolutely hopelessly overpriced properties, but persistence wins out in the end..

Keep at it and you will make the right deals..

Trust me.. I have bought 7 in almost 2 years and I am still finding lots more…

If you like I can pass the ones that I can’t buy myself on to you who are looking, for a small fee.. All of my properties are cash flow +ve.

Cheers and good luck.

Calron the Alcamist
    [email protected][;)]

Participant
    @stargazer

hi mini and calron

thanks for your answers its great to see that you found it on the internet.

I guess when one is looking and doesnt find for a long time they become despondant or feel there not looking in the right place.

As i said i havent been looking long but judging by the questions from those that are starting out it seems bascially the same.

Where do i start

How did you find it

The fact that you answered mini and calron is great because some will say keep looking there out there without any specific direction be it papers/internet/agents.

I think thats all people are looking reinforcement that yes they are looking where others have found them.

Once again mini and calron enjoy your input and answers

kind regards
    alf

Participant
    @minimogul

alf

please someone correct me if I am wrong here but i think that cashflow positive properties are in general not found in the cities. A lot of people are saying they are not available in Australia, but they most certainly are and people right here on this forum are not only finding them but buying them.

However…about that capital city rule – I saw a studio apt in darlinghurst yesterday (a really nice cute clean one) for $189K. lets say you got really creative and worked it so that you rented it furnished and short term, kind like an executive rental, you just MIGHT be able to make it CF+ve

Also a 5 bedroom house renovated and converted to individual rooms and then individually let might be CF+ve even in a city

I think carparks could be CF+ve too, a single space rents for about $15K per year in the CBD of Sydney, apparently, so if you bought one for say 60K that shows a 25 percent yield….

I am just brainstorming here but there are always things you can do with properties to help them along
    Unlike shares (y’hear that crashy????!!)

cheers-
    Mini

Participant
    @stargazer

mini

i agree with you its really down to numbers you certainly think outside the square.

Some people may be reluctant to certain types due to the fact that on selling is difficult in some types of investing.

i was lead to beleive that the cbd and near city investing was the way to go by people who i thought had minds immeasurably superior to mine.

The fact is in adelaide you could’ve bought anywhere where no one would dare go once upon a time and made money and +ve cashflow.

I like the way you think..

regards
    alf

Profile photo of shezianshezian
    @shezian

Thanks so much for the reply. But are you saying l have to put 30% deposit if l wanted to buy a commercial property. I am not interested in residental, only commercial.
    I was going to buy a commercial property in a very high growing area and just missed out at an auction. According to the book this wasn’t such a good investment anyway. I still think it was because of the high capital growth and it wasn’t even too expensive. But if l bought l would have to add about $50 per week. That was the only problem. I was happy to do that because it was such a good area.
    But l don’t have a deposit. If l bought any property l would have to borrow the entire amount.

I am looking for a retail premises in a good area, for around about 200k.

Also as far a residental property is concerned the ones that are cheap are in a really bad area, and l would have to deal with unemployed people, which l couldn’t stand. So l forgotton about that idea. I would rather deal with people who have a life.
    If you know what l mean??

Sue

Participant
    @calron

Shezian.

I think the bank actually says that you need 30% deposit on commercial property.. Damn them..

As far as not buying property because you would have to deal with unemployed people.. Why couldn’t you stand it??

They are real people with lives, be them unemployed lives.. There is a bonus with unemployed people especially long term ones and that is that they get substantial rental assistance which helps make them regular.
    Simple way to not have to deal with them is to get an Agent to deal with them for you..

The government is giving us these tax breaks to house these unemployed people and there happy that they’re not..

Cheers

Calron the Alcamist
    [email protected][;)]

Profile photo of beancounterbeancounter
    Participant
    @beancounter

Hi Shezian

I am in agreement with you.

From people with whom I have spoken with most agree that it is almost impossible to find a postive geared property. As a few forum contributors have noted they are out there if you look hard enough.

I am now focusing on commercial property. I have come across an opportunity. 2 retail properties in regional victoria. Gross Rent $270k + GST. Lease 10 years with 2 10 year options on each property . Rent fixed to CPI. Price $3,500,000 + GST. Bank is prepared to lend up to 70%. Only trouble is coming up with the deposit.

Anyway these deals are out there. I just have to find someone else who is of a like mind.

Cheers

Beancounter

Profile photo of BeachboyBeachboy
    Participant
    @beachboy

Beancounter quick sums suggests the property you are looking at is returning approx 7.2 % gross, which is above the current lending rate. In the next few years when rates eventually go up, it is possible it may go from positive geared to neutral and possibly negative geared (All hypothetically speaking, not your individaul property).

What percentage of positive cashlow do most people look for? I have read a lot of posts from people purchasing in regional areas getting fairly high returns. As a norm properties close to the city and or near beaches tend to offer low returns although from what I have experienced much greater capital appreciation. I am more happy to have a lower yield neutral/slightly positive geared in the city/bayside beach areas where in the country I would look for a much higher yield (again hypothetical as I don’t own any country properties).

My long winded question/statement is what yield (percentage) do people tend to look for at the present time to be positive geared in the city and in the country?

Participant
    @minimogul

hi beachboy

“What percentage of positive cashlow do most people look for?”

re that question, for me right now, as high as possible! – at least while I’m establish my +ve cashflow base. Everything I’m buying so far is over 20 percent. The +ve CF base will support a future property i might buy in for example a beach area for growth. maybe 3 +ves to one -ve in my portfolio is what I think I’m gonna be comfortable with.
    i think the idea is to have a balanced portfolio where the overall total is always CF+ve, but with some -ve ones in there too for ‘speed’ , and the +ve ones for serviceablility – then it’s true wealth creation because you don’t have to touch your own income (and banks don’t need to look at it.)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Where are the bargain properties???’ is closed to new replies.