All Topics / The Treasure Chest / tax minimization after high capital gains

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of avidreaderavidreader
    Participant
    @avidreader

hi. if you buy a property let’s say for $100,000, do a reno, make a substantial profit. how do you minimise the tax so that there are some readies to roll over into the purchase of the next one? i have looked at the idea of trusts. wonder if there are other methods without living in the property? want to do this regularly.[?]

onwards and upwards
    graisme
    ps just moved to sunny downtown ballarat, didn’t realise that it featured in THE book!

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

1. dont sell and have it revalued, then use the equity
    2. make it your PPoR for at least a month
    3. if partner has lower income do it in their name

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi guys

Gee Ballarat was cold this morning, i passed through at about 7.30am. Avid a trust wont help because the profits from a trust must be distributed to the benificaries, (or else it is taxed at 66% i think). Unless there is a partner or kids in lower tax brackets. just watch out with CGT because if you sell in the first 12 months then you don’t get the 50% tax free benifit. i’m in a similar situation just had a property done up in Shepparton with a good capital gains but now have to hold for 9 months more, decided to rent it out but when i go to sell it wont look brand new. A good way to do it is rent it out for 12 months then do the reno then sell and claim the 50% Tax free.
    westan

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I would definitely use a trust. The absolute maximum tax you will need to pay will then be 30% (by distributing it to a company).

And if you do it often enough, you will lose the 50% CGT discount as the ATO will class teh properties as trading stock. You should get away with it for a while!

Terryw
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of comdomcomdom
    Participant
    @comdom

CRASHY your a genious.[:)]

Profile photo of olorinsledgeolorinsledge
    @olorinsledge

quote:

A good way to do it is rent it out for 12 months then do the reno then sell and claim the 50% Tax free.

westan

Fantastic idea man – I’d never thought of that. Providing that the renovation costs don’t increase too much over 12 months (which they shouldn’t)… [:)]

Of course the PPoR idea is great too – if you like the ‘renovation / PPoR’ game.

Profile photo of puissancepuissance
    @puissance

if you run your corporation and trust properly, you may not be liable for any forms of tax.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘tax minimization after high capital gains’ is closed to new replies.